Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Thought someone might pick that up, I'm just posting the publicly available data.

since they are reorganising the data, here it is for now. I'm not sure what UOF means, people have a time at the finish, and it looks like timecut is 7:30.

image.png.02110c878d0f8199b6c96259add83061.png

image.png.5c96f6930c7bcc5f96f17396c81da5d1.png

quick stats attack from here!

1014 entered the 109km ebike race (officially). 638:376 male:female so about 63:37% gender split

those who beat the timecut are in a (14:3) 82:18% gender split

So it goes to show, the proportion of male chops on ebikes IS higher than the usual population

UOF = unofficial finisher. Basically outside the time cut but crossed the line one their own power 

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

But I have a good athletic background and I love to push myself, did a 48s 400m and a 1:54 800m, not the best but not the worst.

Have strong genetics as well in the sporting world (my parents.)

bliksem, but how long ago was that? might not translate to an endurance event.

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

6 -7 years ago. Kid has loads of potential. 

1 hour ago, Spinnaroonie said:

Any race reports with hot pickled onions and extra chilli???? 

i wanted to name and shame a certain tandem team that finished top 5 but wont 😆

3 hours ago, JM_NEL said:

Here is the Boxplot for the faster groups excluding those riding longer than 5 hours.

CTCT 2024 - Faster groups.png

great data representation 🙏

I did my 2nd CTCT tour yesterday with ambitions to get a sub-4 as 2yrs ago I finished in 5h30.
The day started with tummy issues, so started my day fairly flat as I offloaded all prev day's carbs. So I had a banana and then we were off in 6F. I noticed that I seemed to be going faster than most people up the climbs (should've done a qualifying race to get better seeding). 

I pick-up a dude who was pushing a massive gear on the flats and we were doing approx 45kmh into Simons town and I lost focus, overlapped a wheel and next thing I know it wasn't on the tarmac looking at my bike and garmin a few meters away. Got up (with torn pants and some skin showing), and managed to carry on and first climb out my derailleur hanger snaps and had to hike a bike in my cleats to the next bike mechanic. 

Lack of spare hanger (lesson learnt) and no spares at mechie meant my rear mech was removed and had bike converted to a nice 50x19 singlespeed. Took it easy the whole way but the hills left my lower back feeling a bit numb. Managed to finish after 5h38min.

Interesting day out for sure.

8 minutes ago, Charles71 said:

Lack of spare hanger (lesson learnt) and no spares at mechie meant my rear mech was removed and had bike converted to a nice 50x19 singlespeed. Took it easy the whole way but the hills left my lower back feeling a bit numb. Managed to finish after 5h38min.

Interesting day out for sure.

Well done for persevering & continuing with a SS setup 👍

I was spectating in Lakeside after an unplanned ear op left me unable to ride. A guy slowly rode past going in the wrong direction, so I got chatting to find out what was up. Transpires he'd been involved in a small accident in Muizenberg and was concerned about his ability to keep going as he felt his braking was compromised. After opening up his brake calipers a bit, front rim brake wheel was slightly buckled, and some gentle persuading, he turned around and rejoined the ride. Hopefully he managed to still enjoy the day out and didn't spend the next few hours cursing me 😆

The & Group was chaotic as usual. The start group was way too large. I don’t understand the idea of mixing 30-39 and 50+ top seeded riders. 
Way too many close calls, I decided to rather sit at the back and chill. 

Sat too far back on Chappies and got unfortunately tailed off 
Ended with 3:03

Had some time to take a few pictures when the speed was relaxed on the Blue Route and coming into CT.

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Those were in 2018, also did cross country which was 6km. 

my 5km time was 17 ish minutes. So dont have the most experience in endurance races, did a 10km once in 34mins but thats about it..

Just think I need to find my feet hehe 😂

After school I got a skin decease (Cholinergic Urticaria) So I couldnt really practise or be in the sun, so I lost interest in all sports because it was a living hell.. But I out grew the skin thingy and I am back on track, trying to get into shape like I was. 😅 We all got to start somewhere

Another thing I am wonder about is, hoe much faster is a Hardtail with slicks compared to a Dual Suspension, how much faster is a gravel bike compared to a HT and how much faster is a Road bike compared to the above 👆 

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

A lady started in 1F on her dual suss.

She gave the gang a good run for their money ....😋

There was a kid on a MTB in 1C. Held on until ocean view before he got spat out of the leading group 

Not a bad effort.

By then I'd burned many matches trying to stay ahead of the splits. Closing gaps on the flat at 75kg is hard work, if not suicidal. On a MTB I'd rather not even think about it. 

14 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Another thing I am wonder about is, hoe much faster is a Hardtail with slicks compared to a Dual Suspension, how much faster is a gravel bike compared to a HT and how much faster is a Road bike compared to the above 👆 

Gravel bike with road tyres is about the sweet spot in my sample size of 1. Curly bars for decent body position, and aero wheels make way more of a difference than an aero frame. 

The extra weight does make a difference, but the clearance for wider tyres and general versatility for training rides off the beaten track were what swung it for me. 

If I make it into the ballies racing group next year I'll have proven my point, but in the meantime I'm having fun as I go. 

If you're proper racing though, there's only one way to go. 

Edited by droo

1 hour ago, Mayo916 said:

I did not see any crashes in the "&" bunch but it was sketchy and stressful (More so than previous years), especially the first half and when the guys from "@" joined when we caught them.

There was just one guy I identified that rode very dodgy in "&".

During the race, I couldn't figure out how such a strong rider could have such poor bike-handling skills in a bunch.

When I googled him now, I saw he is a triathlete and it all made sense.

Does his first and last name start with the same letter? If so, that’s flipping funny because he made a whole instagram reel about people in character groups who can’t drink without wobbling 😂

7 minutes ago, droo said:

Gravel bike with road tyres is about the sweet spot in my sample size of 1. Curly bars for decent body position, and aero wheels make way more of a difference than an aero frame. 

The extra weight does make a difference, but the clearance for wider tyres and general versatility for training rides off the beaten track were what swung it for me. 

If I make it into the ballies racing group next year I'll have proven my point, but in the meantime I'm having fun as I go. 

Thank you for your input 🙏🏼

35 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Well done for persevering & continuing with a SS setup 👍

I was spectating in Lakeside after an unplanned ear op left me unable to ride. A guy slowly rode past going in the wrong direction, so I got chatting to find out what was up. Transpires he'd been involved in a small accident in Muizenberg and was concerned about his ability to keep going as he felt his braking was compromised. After opening up his brake calipers a bit, front rim brake wheel was slightly buckled, and some gentle persuading, he turned around and rejoined the ride. Hopefully he managed to still enjoy the day out and didn't spend the next few hours cursing me 😆

It's always nice to help others. I actually helped this gent who stopped right next to me as I was about to hike a bike, as he had chainsuck. I removed his quicklink with my hands and helped remove/reroute the chain without scratching his carbon bike 😄  

12 minutes ago, droo said:

Rumour has it that the fastest open time was done on a Grail CF7 with a decent set of road wheels