Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

I just realised that it's 20 years since my first sub 3.

I'm only mentioning the following due to how it was achieved. Most comments before this indicate that it takes hard work, the right group, fitness and weather conditions, etc. No doubt, that is spot on.

What happened to me 3 weeks before 'The Argus' of 2004, was a crash in a race that went over Oukaapseweg. My crash was in the dip between the small and big climbs. This was my fine tuning race. Bike written off, helmet cracked but fortunately, no fractures or breaks, just serious concussion. I knew that I was in peak fitness, and that would assist in my recovery but would I be ready to race on the big day? Probably not. So that's when I just chilled through the insurance claim process, and eventually got a new bike on the Tuesday before the race. For this year, I was seeded in D, which is usually a good marker for a sub 3 candidate. Still, I wasn't going to race, just ride. I followed wheels like I have never done before (I prefer riding in the wind and providing a slip) and never turned a pedal in anger. My most chilled race ever, and I reached the finish line in 2h54. A detour sub 3 that came easily because I knew that I had the fitness but due to the circumstances, decided that I shouldn't put any pressure on myself for that day. So remember to relax in trying to achieve your goals, and they may come to fruition sooner than anticipated.

Well done to all who finished, all who finished and achieved their goals, and speedy recovery to all who suffered in crashes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, dev null said:

Be glad the CTCT is not tomorrow. The doctor she is gonna blow.

On the other hand the Cape Epic starts tomorrow.

Wind was howling and woke me during the night but seems to have died down.

All the best to all Epic starters.

7 hours ago, Slowbee said:

Bazinga I miss, as in REALLY miss this event!

How are you doing down under ?

Please remind us where you are at now.

Have friends that went over end of last year.  Few hours West of Adelaid, small coastal town.  Their photos .... WOW !!

For someone that has done this "race" as many times as I have, this is a silly question, but one I do not know the answer to.

Why are the milestone 10 - 21 -30 - 40 ? Why 21 and not 20 ?

The original milestone was 21 and club21 was formed to commemorate and celebrate the loyalty of riders who completed those 21 tours in 1997 for the 1998 tour.
the 10, 30 and 40 milestones were added as even number celebratory points. The next commemoration point will be 50 tours in 4 year’s time.

I don’t know why they added 10 and 30. Probably to incentivise people who were wk seeing why they’d do another ride around the peninsula and pay for it.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The original milestone was 21 and club21 was formed to commemorate and celebrate the loyalty of riders who completed those 21 tours in 1997 for the 1998 tour.
the 10, 30 and 40 milestones were added as even number celebratory points. The next commemoration point will be 50 tours in 4 year’s time.

I don’t know why they added 10 and 30. Probably to incentivise people who were wk seeing why they’d do another ride around the peninsula and pay for it.

I am glad they added the 10.  Gives me something to work towards.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I think that’s exactly why they did add the 10. Getting to 21 is a massive commitment and they don’t make people like the Gen X anymore

20 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I think that’s exactly why they did add the 10. Getting to 21 is a massive commitment and they don’t make people like the Gen X anymore

That, and the increasing number of 50+ people doing their first CTCT.  

21 may not be a realistic goal for some of us.

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

After our second tour we made a goal of doing 10 tours in a row, we managed 12 before we skipped any. But back then there was no medal for doing 10, you got a yellow number and that was it.

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Thanks DD, I thought as much, looking forward to chasing the 50 jersey when I'm in my 70's :) 

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Same way I remember it, but wondering if there's any insight into why the first celebration was 21? Linked to the custom of celebrating 21st birthdays perhaps?

59 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Same way I remember it, but wondering if there's any insight into why the first celebration was 21? Linked to the custom of celebrating 21st birthdays perhaps?

Jip...

"Coming of age" race.

Edit:

Also keep in mind the 21st event was 20 years after the first...

Edited by Akon

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

@Tim Brink will know the answer