Air Compressor

Manx Man

I reckon that should work. I've seen it done using 2 L Coke bottles as a reservoir. Maybe look at getting a higher diameter hose if it ships with that hard plastic rubbish as flow rate is more important than ultimate pressure.

I always go to the local garage and compared to my first time when I pi$$ed sealant all over the forecourt I now don't spill a drop. There is something really satisfying about doing your own tubeless. 

10 minutes ago, Manx Man said:

I’ve got that exact one and it certainly gets the job done. 

24 minutes ago, Manx Man said:

Typically, the comment here would be 'friends don't let friends use Ryobi', but for tubeless, this will be fine.

If you ever need to use it for more than seating the occasional tyre, this may become frustrating. 

1 hour ago, dewaldsss said:

Howzit

Yes, that would work for seating tubeless tyres. Compressor is also handy to blow any excess water away after washing ;)

Yes, also awesome to make sure your bike is dry dry.! If you don’t have time or patience to leave it on the patio all day before lubing up🤘🏻

just get the one you pump up...works really well, takes up no space...much much simpler and cheaper

15 hours ago, love2fly said:

I reckon that should work. I've seen it done using 2 L Coke bottles as a reservoir. Maybe look at getting a higher diameter hose if it ships with that hard plastic rubbish as flow rate is more important than ultimate pressure.

I always go to the local garage and compared to my first time when I pi$$ed sealant all over the forecourt I now don't spill a drop. There is something really satisfying about doing your own tubeless. 

I used to do the same until I blew the tyre off the rim in the back of the car at a petrol station because the gauge was wrong. There is a clean BMW out there with a new owner who will no doubt keep finding random bits of dried sealant all over the car...

Bottom line don't trust a petrol station pump. DO this test, Drive petrol station to petrol station checking your car tyre pressures. You will honestly lose your trust totally, now I have a good quality gauge at home and a compressor.

13 hours ago, guidodg said:

just get the one you pump up...works really well, takes up no space...much much simpler and cheaper

A good compressor is a must in any real garage. Then you can do your cars, blow the bike out to dry it, air dust things,

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

I used to do the same until I blew the tyre off the rim in the back of the car at a petrol station because the gauge was wrong. There is a clean BMW out there with a new owner who will no doubt keep finding random bits of dried sealant all over the car...

Bottom line don't trust a petrol station pump. DO this test, Drive petrol station to petrol station checking your car tyre pressures. You will honestly lose your trust totally, now I have a good quality gauge at home and a compressor.

A good compressor is a must in any real garage. Then you can do your cars, blow the bike out to dry it, air dust things,

🤣 I don't get a great deal to the valve at my local garage so I only get it to around 2.5 Bar. Once it's seated I fill sealant, get some air in and pump the rest at home.

3 minutes ago, love2fly said:

🤣 I don't get a great deal to the valve at my local garage so I only get it to around 2.5 Bar. Once it's seated I fill sealant, get some air in and pump the rest at home.

I had similar thoughts and beliefs but Stans Crests are only rated to 2,5 bar for a 2,5 tyre, 2,6 bar for a 2,2 tyre. 10% error in the gauge will leave you with ears ringing for days, sealant up your nose and in your eyes, 1 blown out rim bent spokes and a hell of a mess to clean up. The only fun part was realising all the petrol attendants had hit the deck with the explosion.

That is compressor is fine for tubeless.  You just need sufficient air volume for a short period of time.

The problem is that they are so handy for multiple DIY applications that you will soon run out of gas.

The minute you start air cleaning, spray painting or using air tools it will be become inadequate.  I have a 100L 2HP one in the shop which can do multiple tyres on a tank of air but the limits of 2hp soon becomes apparent when you try applications like using a nail gun.

I've got a 50l 2HP for sale if you want. Bought the silent type to replace it cos I couldn't hear myself on the phone while it was running, which it does quite often in a shop. Probably seen about 6 months use.

The Ryobi one I had before sprung a leak after about 4 years of mild abuse, but that was probably more due to me not draining it often enough.

That 6l one will be fine until you encounter a stubborn tyre, but on a MTB with proper tubeless rims you'll be fine. Roadie or gravel may prove entertaining though.

2 hours ago, David Marshall said:

That is compressor is fine for tubeless.  You just need sufficient air volume for a short period of time.

The problem is that they are so handy for multiple DIY applications that you will soon run out of gas.

The minute you start air cleaning, spray painting or using air tools it will be become inadequate.  I have a 100L 2HP one in the shop which can do multiple tyres on a tank of air but the limits of 2hp soon becomes apparent when you try applications like using a nail gun.

Very well put.

I had the old tank with compressor on top, the oil type.  After a few decades, and a few repairs, I bought an oil-less compressor with a 20 liter tank.

Significantly MORE noise.

As its flow rate is less, this noise lasts longer to fill the tank.

Just blowing the chain dry has the compressor restarting ....

I certainly wont buy such a small oil-less unit again.

But yes, is certainly works well for tubeless.

Edited by ChrisF