Cant personally Import SRAM anymore :(

MORNE1102

10 hours ago, madmarc said:

Was always my biggest fear with all those Garmins and ASX upgrade kits i brought back - Would they work in Sefrica - But they all did and still do 

Why wouldn't they work, no major physics changes for wireless conditions! You might have issues with compatibility with different products if protocols are set for a region. 

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

Why wouldn't they work, no major physics changes for wireless conditions! You might have issues with compatibility with different products if protocols are set for a region. 

Was more concerned about if they would geo block firmware updates 

3 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Was more concerned about if they would geo block firmware updates 

I guess a VPN should allay those fears

49 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I guess a VPN should allay those fears

Serial numbers are allocated to a region. So when the joint registers on the manufacturer platform they can pick up where it should have been sold. I bought an edge 1000 in the UK. It had a forward glitch so it went to Garmin and they could immediately tell me it was a UK unit just from its serial number. They could not reload the software due to this so offered my a warranty upgrade instead. It was just a month out of warranty but I had to fork over R2100 for the replacement unit

49 minutes ago, Jbr said:

i was surprised that bikeinn allowed me to import an Apex lever&caliper recently

I’d lie to understand their model more. I always set their adverts but was sceptical due to the “if it seems to good to be true…”

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

I’d lie to understand their model more. I always set their adverts but was sceptical due to the “if it seems to good to be true…”

You mean BikeInn - I ordered lots from them - they legit

Their model ? not sure I understand what you mean, they sell goods for profit.

if you think it's too good to be true, it's only because most cycling related products are way more expensive here than they are in europe. In the end with shipping cost, VAT and import duties, it's still in most cases cheaper to import from bikeinn than to buy local, but I only order there when there's no stock locally, because in most cases it's just safer to just buy local (in case you end up wanting to return the item for one, or if you need warranty...)

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Their model ? not sure I understand what you mean, they sell goods for profit.

if you think it's too good to be true, it's only because most cycling related products are way more expensive here than they are in europe. In the end with shipping cost, VAT and import duties, it's still in most cases cheaper to import from bikeinn than to buy local, but I only order there when there's no stock locally, because in most cases it's just safer to just buy local (in case you end up wanting to return the item for one, or if you need warranty...)

By model I mean are they registered as retailer or manufacturer. Chain reaction used to be registered as a bike Manufacturer and therefore bought their parts kits as OEM. This is priced differently and often sold with minimal packaging

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

By model I mean are they registered as retailer or manufacturer. Chain reaction used to be registered as a bike Manufacturer and therefore bought their parts kits as OEM. This is priced differently and often sold with minimal packaging

All the parts I've ever bought through bikeinn were delivered in a nice SRAM box, I doubt they do that kind of trick (that seem a bit questionnable). I think they just move a lot of volume so they get good deals

5 hours ago, Jbr said:

i was surprised that bikeinn allowed me to import an Apex lever&caliper recently

4 hours ago, madmarc said:

You mean BikeInn - I ordered lots from them - they legit

I thought we said earlier not to share these places anymore😅

Also, sorry, im not DM’ing my list to anyone😅

I used to use Ridewill to import SRAM stuff (their prices are really good) but got quite a shock recently when they sent my order via EMS which has now been stuck somewhere in customs after waiting 8 weeks. They say Express Courier on their site and charge UPS/DHL charges for shipping but they send it regular old post office. Definitely not an option any longer so will need to make a different plan.

I refuse to pay local prices for SRAM stuff. It’s extortion. 

So cross another one off the list. 

On 4/6/2024 at 9:29 AM, michaelbiker said:

I used to use Ridewill to import SRAM stuff (their prices are really good) but got quite a shock recently when they sent my order via EMS which has now been stuck somewhere in customs after waiting 8 weeks. They say Express Courier on their site and charge UPS/DHL charges for shipping but they send it regular old post office. Definitely not an option any longer so will need to make a different plan.

I refuse to pay local prices for SRAM stuff. It’s extortion. 

So cross another one off the list. 

I can’t agree more.