Charger damper

Jakes 001

How would you guys go about this I bought a second hand charger damper as I wanted it for loan units if I have warrantys that needs to be sent away. I bought one on bike hub stating that it was fully serviced that's why I considered it upon arrival I could hear air in the damper and also that the sealhead was not replaced as I should be when serviced. Apart from this the damper rod has markings on which makes it useless. The seller blocked me when I confronted him he works at a very popular bike shop in Capetown where the damper was collected at. How should I go about this as it's frustrating throwing R1500 down the drain I know it's not new and did not expect that but at least a functional one that I can use for loan unit

Not much you can do except give it back to the seller , specifically where the sun don’t shine. Scored damper shafts are useless, it’s a dud now.

maybe @droo has a magic remedy

I'd call bike shop and ask to speak to him. If no luck give him a **** rating and name and shame. His bad character DOES rub off on his employer.

Get a new rod and seal kit ? 

Assembly should swap over the kits come with new seal heads afaik.

Give bad rating showing as much detail as possible and move on, not worth losing sleep over 

Cape cycle systems does not sell rods my point is if I have to strip a sealhead from a kit I could have bought new if the seller was honest that's exactly what I would have done 

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Get a new rod and seal kit ?  

RS don't do spares. The smallest assembly you can buy is a complete damper.

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Not much you can do except give it back to the seller , specifically where the sun don’t shine. Scored damper shafts are useless, it’s a dud now.

maybe @droo has a magic remedy

My magic remedy would be to go to the seller's house and kick him in the shins. I have no fix for the actual scratch, only the dodgy sale.

Rate him accordingly on the site. 
Call the shop and ask to speak to him, if that fails, go directly to the shop with the item and engage. 

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

WHY do people not use Bike Hub Pay ?

Is cost the seller..... 

If the seller is no linger interested in conversations, and is just ghosting you.

Three pronged approach... I considered this recently, but opted not to screw the shop in my case:

1. case of fraud at the police station against the shop and the person that sold it.

2. Call the shop's suppliers and the bank and tell them the shop is being investigated for fraud. And you have the case number to prove. So all true.

3. Name and shame on here, and on FB and Google ratings.

That will do so much more damage than they expected for being asses.

Speak to Robbie at RBC in PE

Bought my seals, bladder etc from him when my charger damper started leaking and didn't fully lock. he has plenty small spares that might help and you don't have to buy a kit.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:31 AM, nox1111 said:

If the seller is no linger interested in conversations, and is just ghosting you.

Three pronged approach... I considered this recently, but opted not to screw the shop in my case:

1. case of fraud at the police station against the shop and the person that sold it.

2. Call the shop's suppliers and the bank and tell them the shop is being investigated for fraud. And you have the case number to prove. So all true.

3. Name and shame on here, and on FB and Google ratings.

That will do so much more damage than they expected for being asses.

Hi he has contacted me today to say he Wil refund me I did end up emailing the shop which is not really in my nature to fight but was also not willing letting it go.Have not received my refund yet as he asked for a few days which I will give him and if not I'll follow your lead