will decathlon bring their top end bikes to our shores?

Shebeen

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Following President Jacob Zuma's resignation in February 2018, Ramaphosa was elected unopposed as President of South Africa by the National Assembly on 15 February 2018. - Wikipedia

I heard just the other day when he took office, it was about R13/$. We all know where is sits now.

image.png.3b833937eacc34767e6d80826bd0bfb8.png

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/history/USD-ZAR-2018

That’s no Rama’s fault though. When the global economy turns downward, emerging markets take the hit because there is less appetite for the risk associated with those emerging markets. 
there are other factors as well but that’s the overarching causal for the exchange rate decline. We saw it post 2007 as well 

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That’s no Rama’s fault though. When the global economy turns downward, emerging markets take the hit because there is less appetite for the risk associated with those emerging markets. 
there are other factors as well but that’s the overarching causal for the exchange rate decline. We saw it post 2007 as well 

exactly. for comparison

image.png.0684978176033521740faf897af16683.png

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

but they havent shaken buildesr up in jhb. There was an initial shake because they were new, but they've turned into just a green branded BW. I often see the same cars going between the 2 stores.

I think the problem DC will have in SA with cycling goods (and possibly other sports too) is that the perception of them being a makro or Mr Price Sports style store, i.e. mass consumer type of product and not good enough for the golfer turned cyclist type who think they need the best.

I also thought builders fourways would take a huge knock when Leroy opened by the mall.. I don’t really think they have.. 

perception of DC bikes is always going to be a problem when you have a world full of snobs.. but for the majority of cyclists they are actually really good bikes at a great price and should not at all feel bad about spending your hard earned money on them.!

Lots of high level talk, but if one don’t invest in the foundation levels of marketing, customer experience etc. Then forget about any economic performance.

I’m in the Decathlon Bryanston store now. They did a revamp of the layout, there’s errors in the merchandising, ie a beautiful contour display of trails meant for cycling, is in its original spot amongst golfing whereas cycling is upstairs. 
Each visit lately- Staff, more keen on rearranging displays, talking to eachother, stock taking etc. But not engaging customers. This includes supervising/management. It is borderline rude.
Half the bathrooms seem to be locked, or occupied, I don’t know but I waited. One opens up and all I hear is the door slamming each time and a staff member yelling for his mate “it’s time to eat”

I love the place and what Decathlon does/stands for. But it feels like the actions aren’t aligning with the principles of late. 

On another note, has anyone bought their bibshorts? Prices seem reasonable and would like to know before I spend R1.5k on bibs.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

I love the place and what Decathlon does/stands for. But it feels like the actions aren’t aligning with the principles of late

I think the same thing can be said for Leroy and I guess many other stores/brands.

My parent often shop at Leroy in Greece, whilst most of the prodcuts are the same, the shopping experience is worlds apart.

Boils down to what I often say, your company/brand is only as good as the person your customer is interacting with.

7 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

I love the place and what Decathlon does/stands for. But it feels like the actions aren’t aligning with the principles of late. 

Sounds like anything that comes to South Africa.. we will f&$k that **** up like it’s our job.. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

I also think we look over the fact that very few SA people follow the XCO series and even know that Decathlon/Rockrider even has/is a pro team and their bikes are doing well.

Then, out of the handful of bike dorks who DO know that, maybe a couple of thousand, I'd suggest very few would actually buy one.

There would be 'interest' from a few, but actually pulling the trigger?

I don't think it's a clever market to get into in SA. It would take a LOT of marketing, brand awareness and a gamble in the ability to create brand perception.

The effort isn't worth the returns.

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

macro economics of their network makes a lot of sense IMO. 

Gauteng is small enough for 1 distribution hub/dark store servicing 25% of the population and 33% of the GDP.

WC would mean another DC, for 12% of the population and 13% gdp.
Yes on the smaller scale for cycling the WC number of cyclists would null and void the above, but I think for general sports and spending power it makes sense to flood GP and then look at going to other regions.

Your bigger loss in WC is not having Leroy Merlin...

I know WC is big on cycling and also very big in keeping up with the joneses. so it will be frowned upon to ride anything that is not a Sworks or similar.  

31 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I think the same thing can be said for Leroy and I guess many other stores/brands.

My parent often shop at Leroy in Greece, whilst most of the prodcuts are the same, the shopping experience is worlds apart.

Boils down to what I often say, your company/brand is only as good as the person your customer is interacting with.

100% Less MBAs and more hands on. 
DC were brilliant out of the blocks and looked to be consistent, but based on the Bryanston store, it feels like they went backwards at a rate of knots. Not so much to do following XCO, macroeconomics etc … 

Business is tough, I get it, having acutely felt the pressure myself. Which also makes every rand I spend important, I don’t want it to feel like a grudge purchase.

19 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Van Rysel RCR is winning UCI races and sold out immediately

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-gear/so-fast-it-out-paced-the-order-book-decathlons-van-rysel-super-bike-sells-out-in-hours/

Dubau is not going to badly with the rockrider XC bike either

https://bikerumor.com/pro-bike-check-joshua-dubau-rockrider-xc-bike/

They've got some decent bikes available, and i guess if they sell enough they might send out more in the range.  Anyone biting?

https://www.decathlon.co.za/3414-bicycle?order=product.price.desc&q=0

Two decathlon bikes got mentioned in Bicycling mag's "2024 BIKE BUYER'S GUIDE" - yet, neither has been available in all (or even popular) sizes.  Go figure. 

1 hour ago, nonky said:

Two decathlon bikes got mentioned in Bicycling mag's "2024 BIKE BUYER'S GUIDE" - yet, neither has been available in all (or even popular) sizes.  Go figure. 

so they got sold out. That's a case to order more and a wider range. 

8 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Snip snip snip

I think the problem DC will have in SA with cycling goods (and possibly other sports too) is that the perception of them being a makro or Mr Price Sports style store, i.e. mass consumer type of product and not good enough for the golfer turned cyclist type who think they need the best.

Possibly think you are right. However that type of consumer is not going to shop anywhere other than their high street store because they can’t let their friends know they’re poor.

the unashamedly poor will always shop for value and if DC can deliver sporting goods that is recognisable in the sports media then they will appeal to new entrants and more established cyclists alike. I find it easier to shop at sportsman’s warehouse for certain goods because of the Vitality benefit and lately some stores also have quite competent people (using tokai and rondebosch as examples and acknowledge it’s a small sample).

Market the Van Rysel and Rockrider brands appropriately they will sell. The timing is right.