SERVICE ...

tazman

My mate, Mielie, has been without a bike for about 2 months Dead now, all thanks to Westrand cycles and Dragon Sport, icw with his cracked Giant frame.

I don't know how you all feel about this but I'm surely p'ed off, he sent the frame in under the warranty it has, but they have been keeping him on a line for his new frame for, as I said earlier, almost 2 months now.Angry Angry

Just had to get that off my chest and see how we can sort this problem out.

Any requests?

that seriously sucks. not good at all. makes me worried as a big-time giant supporter. i'm very very relieved that my baby suffered way less damage than me.

hopefully someone from dragon will sort this out asap

My friend is collecting his "recall" Cervelo today. He took the opportunity of the "upgrade" from the R2.5 to the R3.0, and upgraded to the Soloist for a couple of thousand bucks more. Wannabe2006-11-03 02:50:18

Really the only way to get service when it is not forthcoming is to be persistent, but unfailingly polite.  Contact the dealer/Dragon Sports on a regular basis.  Ask for next steps and insist on reasonable dates.  Shortly BEFORE commitment dates, call and check that the commitment is going to be met.

Remain polite but unshakeable.  Basically make it easier for the service provider to do what you want them to do than to ignore them.

bikemonster2006-11-03 03:14:37

No suggestions from my side, apart from emailing them and pointing them to this post (an opportunity to clear their name).

Good luck

That is a problem with Giants.  I also have a cracked frame.  Took it back to a well known shop in Pretoria and one of the minions told me that the crack isn't that bad, and I should keep on riding it. ( The crack is just behind the steerer on the top tube) .  So if I fall, I will sue that shop in Pretoria (Lynwood Road) for they told me it's safe to cycle using a cracked frame

You should not accept that !! In the end of the day it will be your teeth and not youngter's teeth lying over the place . Take bike to the same place in the Centurion area .

I read a letter from Dragon Sport posted up in cycle shop where they say some of the cracks on Giants frames are just paint cracks and not metal cracks. Aren't the paint usually also covered in the warrentee?

I dont know Mielie but I have been dealing with Westrand Cycles and Eben for a few years now and cannot believe that he would ignore a customer needs in such a manner.

I took the liberty to call Eben. The bike was taken to W/Rand on 22 Sept 06. Being a long weekend  they would have looked at the bike the following week. W/rand took photos and submitted the necessary documents. They have followed up with Dragon Sport on a regular basis.

The bike owner has taken this opportunity to also try and get an upgraded frame and this has slowed the process down.

The quoted cost of this upgrade is now also a bone of contention.

There are always two sides to a dispute.

A while ago I took my giant mtb in for a service, and the guys at the shop noticed a crack,  They contacted the suppliers who offered me a replacement frame or the value of the frame off an upgrade.  Whole process took less than 2 weeks.  It was a fairly cheap frame, but didn't have a problem.

As for cracked frames, I also cracked my Fuji racing bike and they replaced it within a week with a newer model (definately a better frame) at no cost.  And they did it within a week.

I know how you feel Tazman.Dragons have my hac4 for a month now.Can't pick up HR.11 phonecalls to the rep and still waiting.Backup from Dragons SUCK

Just heard from my lbs.Dragons have misplaced my HAC' date='great. [/quote']

That can be a blessing sometimes. Now thay have to give a new one.

I have had good service from Specialized - got a replacement frame with in a week, and a replacement fork also within a week - all under warrenty.

(Makes Specialized bikes sound like they break all the time... but they don't - Ask Marius)