VETS WORLDS SELECTIONS 2008

Andre Engelbrec

Eldron

You are missing the point boet.  WAY MISSING IT.

CSA is saying....."these are the riders that can wear green and gold".  They are SA's best....

And being part of the Vets racing weekend after weekend' date=' I can tell you that these guys are NOT the best. 

So they pitch up and Italy and France squash them like bugs....and we wonder why.......

There is something for me, call it pride, to wear your country's colors.  Going as part of my team is easy.  VERY EASY.  But in the end, I am not "classified" as one of SA's top (Selected) riders.

But that is just me........

[/quote']

i don't think he is missing the point , he's hitting it right in the bulls eye. the csa selectors just selected riders on the basis of nat champs results. how can a selector do justice to the position: ie its a full time job over weekends. just to get in a car to attend an event, ride behind the bunch to watch/assess riders will cost a few hundred rand in fuel alone. and i bet the selector will still get it wrong. just make do with a bad situation and like i said in my 1st reply, treat it like a sport not a profession (especially at your age)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly doubt if any licensed VETS rider wants a pat on the back Eldron, but yes they want recognition for what they have achieved and worked their buts off.

VETS are not pro's or young any more, so why bother some say, other say they should only continue to race for the love of the sport.......... but in the end we remain competative untill we die, and if you can and want to stay on top of your game and want to compete at a licensed level you want recognition for your effort and you should receive it.

It's simple.

Ps: And the green and gold thing for some of us is a big thing, it is in your heart and soul, but i guess you get the odd one out.....but those VETS over 35 especially if you still went to the army would understand the meaning of green and gold and recognition for achievement and putting your heart and soul into what you do. 

Bottervlieg.......jy redeneer soos jy skryf.....met jou kop in 'n gat ingedruk!! 

Have a look at the bigger picture here.......

i don't think he is missing the point ' date=' he's hitting it right in the bulls eye. [/quote']

Nope he is not. 

the csa selectors just selected riders on the basis of nat champs results.

And if that was the criteria' date=' it was easy.....ride all your team mates into the ground and get selected yourself....

But if you actually have some cycling knowledge, you would realise that you ride for the team.....

how can a selector do justice to the position: ie its a full time job over weekends. just to get in a car to attend an event, ride behind the bunch to watch/assess riders will cost a few hundred rand in fuel alone. and i bet the selector will still get it wrong.

Pick up a *$(*$**$% phone and call 3 people that are in the know.  Hell, I have better knowledge that them!!!!  Angry

If $$$ is an issue, they can send guys like Crux and Owen a "please call me".....I am sure they will make the effort.....

just make do with a bad situation and like i said in my 1st reply' date=' treat it like a sport not a profession (especially at your age)
[/quote']

If you go about life like this you will get nowhere!!!  Have a look at the BMP boys.  They have sponsors, managers etc to show that they have not wasted $$$.

Now, because of crap selection, they cannot show something for the effort.....

What happens now....

Sponsor gets out of Cycling.

Cycling team no more.

Less riders at the race.

Race fee increase or like MANY, the race just dies a slow death.

Managers goes out of the country and we have less knowledge locally.

Riders quit or goes out and ride club rides.  Less talent in the bunch.

Maybe for you it is nice because you can then race and win because the talented guys have given up.....

Have some pride!!!  For you it doesn't matter if the SA rider comes 3rd or 80th....you just don't give a crap. 

For me.....I would like to say...."hey....look at 101%....he's a Saffa and he kicked some ass!!!!"

Wa jou pyp?  Sit in en rook hom!!!

Ouch

Now you guys have all these great names of experts to phone, consult, vote, but you didnt suggest a name when they (CSA) needed names for vets selectors! You guys could've been the selectors. You're dropping your own riders and teammates.  I was available as elite selector, wasnt elected by congress, they went for ouk in my area that phones me for advice, so thats OK. I didnt wanted to stand as vets selector as I dont know the strong boys in Gauteng. But why didnt you guys nominate?? And now you blame CSA. WE ARE CSA!!

Speke, as road commissioner why dont you publish the paper trial that led to this squad being announced, and who's the vets selectors... and which names did they put forward?

You go SPINNEKOP!Clap 

VETS racing is serious whichever way you look at it, the entrants take it serious, there is serious competition, serious sponsors, etc.

If you don't want to achieve or you arn't interested then why did you read/open this post......cycling is a team sport and certainly not for some of the guys whom commented here today. 

I suggest if green and gold is over rated for you, and you don't want to be seen as the best in your age group, ride social and don't enter any licensed races you take up space in the bunch or wheel sit in any case ensuring negative racing. Your comments for those that take their sport serious is taking up valuable space. Reading posts about achievers won't help you.

Now you guys have all these great names of experts to phone' date=' consult, vote, but you didnt suggest a name when they (CSA) needed names for vets selectors! You guys could've been the selectors. You're dropping your own riders and teammates.  I was available as elite selector, wasnt elected by congress, they went for ouk in my area that phones me for advice, so thats OK. I didnt wanted to stand as vets selector as I dont know the strong boys in Gauteng. But why didnt you guys nominate?? And now you blame CSA. WE ARE CSA!!

Speke, as road commissioner why dont you publish the paper trial that led to this squad being announced, and who's the vets selectors... and which names did they put forward?
[/quote']

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Now you guys have all these great names of experts to phone' date=' consult, vote, but you didnt suggest a name when they (CSA) needed names for vets selectors! [/quote']

Clap

You go SPINNEKOP!Clap 

VETS racing is serious whichever way you look at it' date=' the entrants take it serious, there is serious competition, serious sponsors, etc.

If you don't want to achieve or you arn't interested then why did you read/open this post......cycling is a team sport and certainly not for some of the guys whom commented here today. 

I suggest if green and gold is over rated for you, and you don't want to be seen as the best in your age group, ride social and don't enter any licensed races you take up space in the bunch or wheel sit in any case ensuring negative racing. Your comments for those that take their sport serious is taking up valuable space. Reading posts about achievers won't help you.
[/quote']

you guys are getting too serious and emotional because you don't agree with the selections.period. racing as a team at nationals??? some do and some don't. but if dont agree with the the selection of the current champ that won in your age category then he had a stronger team than you or raced a clever race. but hey he's the champ for 2008 and he's going to Austria (if he can afford it). live with it and move on. and like GL said get involved and nominate selectors from your province.    

Nope he is not. 

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of a forum - everybody has an opinion - you can try to change people's opinions by telling them they're wrong but I'm guessing you'll have more luck farting out the sun...

Anyhoo - before this degenrates into a typical internet dick measuring contest let me try this - it's a DIY "are you a whinger" test.

Has anybody that complained about the CSA selection process contacted them with your complaint? Or queried their selection? Or got involved in the selection process?

I get the feeling it's much easier to have a go at them from the comfort of your own desk than it is so get involved and solve the problem.

Too many prima donnas in this sport I suspect.

I am now going to agree with my distinguished boet. Get involved. You are part of a democracy in this country, as well as in cycling. Use it.

I don't understand all this.It just sounds like one or two guys in the same age group and there fans that are unhappy about not been selected,now the whole selection process is supposed to be flawed.Don't hear any complaints about the wrong guys been selected in the 50 or 60 plus age group. How would you feel if you were SA champ and didn't get selected.You guys were not selected,should have done better at SA'S so stop winging.Get over it.

There i've opened the can of worms.

At SA's The ladies 60+   was sent to do an extra lap,plus

puntured. Therefore her time was way out. She presumes it is because of

that, no selection.

I am now going to agree with my distinguished boet. Get involved. You are part of a democracy in this country' date=' as well as in cycling. Use it. [/quote']

Lemmer, dude

How much more involved must a person like me, Du Sart, Graham Diesel or Crux be involved. Sorry if i left anyone out that also managers a team. Be it a Vets Team, Ladies or Jnr Team. With us it's passion. We start our race preparations 2 or 3 days before a race. We help with no financial reward. We do it because we love this sport. It's just sad to see riders treated like this.

Because David, Werner, Donovan, Spinnerkop...............are not my riders, i still feel for them. They are true cyclist. They travel to races countrywide, get involved, give advice and make the races you and I attend more attractive to sponsors and a like.

Now, as Marco has asked more than once, WHO IS THE SELECTOR FOR THE VETS CAT. A simple question. Or is it ?

Owen - www.cyclingsa.co.za yielded this - perhaps a phone call to one of them will answer your question.

I don't know much about the politics of the CSA - it sucked when I was racing "back in the day".

Here is the address - it shows a selectors charter - including setting up selection criteria etc.

Selectors Commission http://cms.cyclingsa.com/images/M_images/pdf_button.png http://cms.cyclingsa.com/images/M_images/printButton.png http://cms.cyclingsa.com/images/M_images/emailButton.png

Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Tony Harding

Cell:  082-5639115
        E-mail:
< = =text/>
\n
tony@cyclesure.co.za
< = =text/>

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
< = =text/>

Elrick Kulsen

Cell:  083-5369096
        E-mail:
< = =text/>
\n
elrick@ananzi.co.za

I am now going to agree with my distinguished boet. Get involved. You are part of a democracy in this country' date=' as well as in cycling. Use it. [/quote']

Lemmer, dude

How much more involved must a person like me, Du Sart, Graham Diesel or Crux be involved. have someone nominate you or volunteer your services to the CSA as a selector 

http://cms.cyclingsa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=96&Itemid=146

I think the purpose of selecting a team to worlds is more giving recognition to riders than to go and race as a team. If we want to go and race as a team we will need millions to send one.

Roughly 10 categories * 6 riders + manager and 2 support staff = 90 people * 2 to include ladies = 180 people. Times this by R 1000 FOR KIT ALONE AND WE ARE LOOKING AT R 180 000. You can calculate the rest.

What do we need to get selectors to go to 2 races per weekend taking into consideration time, accommodation, meals and travelling cost. Lets say R 3000 a day * 2 = R 6000 * 2 (TWO SELECTORS). Now times this by 40 weekends.

So how do we address the issue? All the teams each contribute say R 1 000 000 a year and we can do this to your liking.

Any suggestions?

Now we can take it even further and discuss the Vets specializing in the Time Trial. How many more people must be selected?

Complicate matters more. Some guys race in teams and others individually. As the vets teams are based on individuals who do you select. You can in some categories pick anyone of 12 riders who have performed well in some race or another.

Should a vets worlds team be selected?

Maybe we should make it easy and make SA champs the one and only selection race. Then just the first three per cat in the road race is selected. Then everyone will know when to perform at their best.

Whatever the selectors do they will never keep everyone happy.

Speke2008-07-21 12:32:52