Upgrade or buy something else

Hey all,

New to the forum. Need some wisdom and ideas from the forum. 

I currently have a 2019 Specialized Carbon Epic Comp that I picked up 2nd hand last year and was my first serious MTB bike.  https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-epic-comp-carbon/p/154345?color=239075-154345

I initially bought another cheaper bike but had an issue with a bent seat stay from the retailer and they offered this bike to me instead of getting my cash back so I was pushed in this direction. 

I am starting to get more serious into Marathon riding and I’m entered for W2W and contemplating an upgrade path for this bike. 

My question, should I pursue upgrading this bike or should I sell it as is and perhaps start fresh? 

Hello

First off that is a cool bike, if you just starting out then its likely that you are not going to push its boundaries in a while to come.

Been going through a similar discussion in my head on what to do with my bike. To get a bike that is close to mine in weight and ability is a home loan discussion and given i am also not pushing my bike to its limit i'm not sure this is the best decision or one i can truly get value from. So for now I've settled on upgrading to solve specific things i would like to improve on the bike.

1) make it easier and faster in the corners.

2) make it accelerate better .

So i guess the question for you is, what do you want to improve on the bike and can that be solved with an upgrade or does it need a new bike?

or just go N+1 :)

11 hours ago, KyleDurh said:

Snip

9 hours ago, Marcv said:

Snip x 2

Upgrade for both. On the Spez, depending on budget I will do the following: 

Swop the Reba for a better one

Upgrade the drive train from NX to GX or even Shimano 

Remove the TLs and go to Shimano 

Upgrade the wheels

The Spez frames are quite heavy so you won't save a lot in terms of weight but the bike will be miles better. 

54 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Upgrade for both. On the Spez, depending on budget I will do the following: 

Swop the Reba for a better one

Upgrade the drive train from NX to GX or even Shimano 

Remove the TLs and go to Shimano 

Upgrade the wheels

The Spez frames are quite heavy so you won't save a lot in terms of weight but the bike will be miles better. 

I agree with @RobertWhitehead. Despiye being a very capable XC racer, the Spez frames are heavy. Upgrade as he mentioned, yet the frame will still be heavy.

i might be inclined to swing the entire bike and get something lighter. Once you have a lighter platform, upgrade as your budget allows, but start with wheels.

I  went down the exact same path - also had an Epic Comp. No matter the amount of cash you throw at it, you cannot get the weight below 12-13kg. Spez frames are generally heavy. It's like changing the bridle on a lame horse to make it run faster.

Still a cool ride though

A better fork would be nice as would a dropper post. Some lighter wheels as well. But no need to upgrade components until they are worn out or in need of replacing IMO. You need to decide what is "holding you back" and then decide if an upgrade or a new bike will solve the problem

Thanks so much all for the views. Lots to think about.

My challenge here is that I haven't really experienced other bikes, there is an avenue of wondering what is on the other side.

In my case, I am wondering if perhaps for my Marathon riding, if I would be more confident going with a bike that isn't as race focused. In some of my reading it seems that something like a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 is a viable option?

I don't necessarily want to go down an upgrade path and look back and say I should've invested in a different avenue all together.

Welcome to the Bikehub @KyleDurh.

I own two Specialized bikes. Camber and Stumpjumper EVO. The original components are okay and don't need upgrading unless they are worn. That will save some randelas at first. The best upgrade you can do is to get rid of the Roval wheels as soon as possible. Those are properly rubbish. The set I have on my Stumpy are super soft, and after only 6 months of riding I have already taken to the rear rim with a shifting spanner to get some serious dings out.

Unless you are racing near the front of the pack, don't solve for weight at the expense of other stuff like quality, geometry, feel good factor. A couple of kilograms this way or that way matters very little (less than 1% effort per kilogram in most situations), and is not worth the money in my opinion (about R10k per kg reduction, is what I have heard).

2 hours ago, KyleDurh said:

My challenge here is that I haven't really experienced other bikes, there is an avenue of wondering what is on the other side.

In my case, I am wondering if perhaps for my Marathon riding, if I would be more confident going with a bike that isn't as race focused. In some of my reading it seems that something like a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 is a viable option?

I don't necessarily want to go down an upgrade path and look back and say I should've invested in a different avenue all together.

I have a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 (2022) that is 12.8kgs without pedals and that bag that fits on the cubby hole. It is regarded as heavy by weight weenie XCM/O riders. But, I've done many marathons, Whine to Whales and even a 160km Gravel race. 

It's a great bike. Don't worry about weight if you not a podium chaser.

14 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I have a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 (2022) that is 12.8kgs without pedals and that bag that fits on the cubby hole. It is regarded as heavy by weight weenie XCM/O riders. But, I've done many marathons, Whine to Whales and even a 160km Gravel race. 

It's a great bike. Don't worry about weight if you not a podium chaser.

I guess my thinking is that if I feel more confident on the bike the penalty on weight isn't as relevant. I however could be simply selling myself on a new bike....

2 hours ago, KyleDurh said:

If it is marathon riding you are doing I would not change much on the bike as the Epic was build for marathon riding. If you are serious rider that is hunting podiums then you might need to do some upgrades to the bike, but I would before I try and save 500grams on the bike first go on a diet myself, probably the best and cheapest upgrade to your bike will be yourself.

That being said, if your fat % is already around the 15% then I would say your first upgrade should be the "moving parts" - Wheels and crank(1gram of weight saved on the frame = 3grams on the wheels)

If you are not looking to save weight, then try and do upgrades on comfort for that 5 plus hours on the bike , (saddle, Shoes, Fork, and grips)  

17 minutes ago, KyleDurh said:

I guess my thinking is that if I feel more confident on the bike the penalty on weight isn't as relevant. I however could be simply selling myself on a new bike....

If it's time, it's time ma bru.

…an upgrade path? You are a Marketer’s dream customer….

FFS, if you are new to MTB (and(or Marathoning), you have a carbon 29”er, with suspension front & rear, and a 12-speed 1x Groupo, with a dropper, RIDE WHAT YOU GOT!

I too think the front shocks could be improved UPON, but still, they give a very-usable 100mm travel…maybe consider replacing them as you goalong?

I think you should ride / marathon this bike for some time BEFORE you upgrade multiple items, especially if the drivetrain is in reasonably good nick…

Riding mates you meet along the way will often give you input on what - and even when, something N-E-E-D-S upgrading, and you can learn what you need, not what the ‘flavour of the month is…’

I do reckon a bike setup is money well spent, ride/race, and THEN see what you NEED….

(that is a very capable bike, enjoy it!)

Thanks all! Some great suggestions all round. Let me spend some more time on the bike and then figure out my plan. 

41 minutes ago, KyleDurh said:

Thanks all! Some great suggestions all round. Let me spend some more time on the bike and then figure out my plan. 

Your wife will luv u for it 😍