Using gripshift as a remote lockout?

Bub Marley

Is it possible to use the Sram gripshift left shifter as a remote lockout for a fox suspension fork or/and shock?

Anyone done this before? 

yes, I very successfully did this on my Scalpel a few years back...worked really well

you need to remove the ratcheting mechanism inside...

6 minutes ago, guidodg said:

I think he would leave the rachet and grab IN for suspension lockout though. It's not for a tension and release dropper post.

OP, IF the pull ratio works then you could. So you would need to see if the grip shift pulls enough cable to rotate the lockout mechanism on the suspension around enough to hit the lockout position and release all the way back to open.

It is unlikely to be exactly correct but if it's a larger pull you can play with cable tension as 'open' is 'open' so you could have cable slack there that then balances the pull to lockout when tensioned.

it's actually pretty simple and works with most dropper posts..there is enough travel in the gripshift to work with anything and no need to play too much with cable tension....try it and don't overthink it:)

2 minutes ago, guidodg said:

it's actually pretty simple and works with most dropper posts..there is enough travel in the gripshift to work with anything and no need to play too much with cable tension....try it and don't overthink it:)

He isn't looking for a dropper post actuation though? 

Suspension lockout. And yes, it's not 'scientific' but it may be fiddly to set up if the throw/pull is way off the rotation of the suspension lockout

yeah, may be a bit more fiddly for a suspension lockout but pretty simple to try it out...

I've seen it done on a vipa years ago 

Can't remember if its was a trigger tho, seems only logical when the right amount of pull has been reached 

Yeah was looking at doing it for suspension lockout. Already have a remote for the dropper so thought it might look cleaner this way. Guess ill have to play around and see if it can work. 

Is it a two position or three position rear lockout system?

if 2 position then 10mm of cable pull is necessary. With a gripshift you can modify the detent position by dremelling a new detent stop or filing it into the shift drum. You will be better off starting with a 2x front gripshifter.

if 3 position the shock will require a lock out mechanism that pulls 7+7mm of cable. If modifying a 3 x grip shifter u will need to check the cable pull.

Will be easier to buy a 2 or 3 position rockshox twist lock gen 2 or ultimate to be honest 

Should be possible, I converted mine to activate a dropper post, so a remote lockout might work. although I removed the click click bits and it just turned freely for the dropper.

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Should be possible, I converted mine to activate a dropper post, so a remote lockout might work. although I removed the click click bits and it just turned freely for the dropper.

For a remote lockout you need the metal curvy spring plus the return spring. The detente in the shift body have to be altered. 
for a dropper post it’s easy, just remove the curvy spring and the shifter will return to rest after the twist as long as you keep the long coil spring in there. If I had an old twist shifter I’d have modified if for my dropper but alas it had succumbed to one of those “I don’t think I’ll need this ever again moments”.