Cost of maintaining an e-bike

Bakkies

Hi all fellow hubbers. I'm not in the market yet for an ebike but I was wondering what the average running cost ebike will be. I'm not worried about electricity but the maintenance aspect. I'm not much worries about the tires or drive train costs. More to do with the motor and battery. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Even a link to similar discussion. I have searched. Happy trails

Bakkies, what I saw locally at Canyon is about R2500.  This EXCLUDES replacement parts.  I am not sure if the costs in SA will be about the same.

This is what Canyon do.

1. Normal Hardtail MTB inspection

image.png.abc9ccdef9c1d477bffcfb1e1b7f8dc2.png

And then 

image.png.804455ea3817874d874769a8236b7351.png

Its going to be quite a bit more than a real bike. Drivetrain and brake wear will be slightly higher leading to decreased replacement intervals . Tyres may also wear more quickly especially out back. An out of warranty motor replacement  is not a lekker prospect.

I haven't noticed much more wear on the drivetrain of any of my ebikes compared to my other bikes.

But I did notice more wear on the rear tire of the eMTB as well as more wear on the brake pads.

The headset bearing on my Levo also wears quicker than on the old school MTB, but that's not too expensive to replace.

Other than that, my LBS doesn't charge more to service the ebikes. Now and then they require a software update and they charge R150 for that.

In total I've done about 14000km's over 3 ebikes and I have not yet replaced a battery.

6 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

I haven't noticed much more wear on the drivetrain of any of my ebikes compared to my other bikes.

But I did notice more wear on the rear tire of the eMTB as well as more wear on the brake pads.

The headset bearing on my Levo also wears quicker than on the old school MTB, but that's not too expensive to replace.

Other than that, my LBS doesn't charge more to service the ebikes. Now and then they require a software update and they charge R150 for that.

In total I've done about 14000km's over 3 ebikes and I have not yet replaced a battery.

About 17 000km between 2 ebikes in 4 years.

The hardtail runs on gravel tyres for road rides.  These tyres dont wear out ... glass cuts or damage from broken cat eyes is more of a concern.

7oookm on this bikes current drive train.  No issues.

Have not had brake issues.

The MTB is heavier on rear tyres, though I believe the long tar stretches to and from the trails has some impact on this.  I recall similar on my non ebikes with the tar sections.

Yes, the MTB is heavier on breaks.  About 3 000km on a set of pads, actually not bad.

Two set of pads to a brake disc ....  those 203mm discs are rare and expensive ....  still not excessive costs.

I have not experienced other strange or expensive maintenance costs.

The Giant did have an issue with the motor at about 1000km.  Third time I sent it back they finally fixed it .... never got a single straight storey from them .... just glad it is stil going strong.

I.do know Knipe_Racing services these motors.

Long winded way to say that after a lot of riding it has not really cost my "more per km".

However, doing a lot more kms the cost do go up slightly

I have had a ‘converted 26”er’ eBike for 6 or 7 years:

very little difference in service costs from a ‘regular’ MTB, for me, anyways…

no noticeable increase in brake wear, for me, i suspect SLIGHTLY increased rear tyre wear, but then i do use my eMTB for many (lekker) road rides from Houties, around Cape Point and back, which adds to rear tyre wear….

Like ChrisF, i too have had ONE problem with a sensor, but it was fairly inexpensive to replace. Battery health - full bench test - now at 89%, this after 6 or 7 years, so i have ZERO complaints.

no noticeable increase in drive-train costs, I run 10x cassette, and those things are H-A-R-D-Y, and i am ‘sympathetic’ to drive-train shifting…

in short, i feel servicing costs are near-identical to an analogue bike , again, for me.

Cheers

Chris 

Edited by Zebra
Spelling, and…auto-correct!

45 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

About 17 000km between 2 ebikes in 4 years.

The hardtail runs on gravel tyres for road rides.  These tyres dont wear out ... glass cuts or damage from broken cat eyes is more of a concern.

7oookm on this bikes current drive train.  No issues.

Have not had brake issues.

The MTB is heavier on rear tyres, though I believe the long tar stretches to and from the trails has some impact on this.  I recall similar on my non ebikes with the tar sections.

Yes, the MTB is heavier on breaks.  About 3 000km on a set of pads, actually not bad.

Two set of pads to a brake disc ....  those 203mm discs are rare and expensive ....  still not excessive costs.

I have not experienced other strange or expensive maintenance costs.

The Giant did have an issue with the motor at about 1000km.  Third time I sent it back they finally fixed it .... never got a single straight storey from them .... just glad it is stil going strong.

I.do know Knipe_Racing services these motors.

Long winded way to say that after a lot of riding it has not really cost my "more per km".

However, doing a lot more kms the cost do go up slightly

Also consider most of your riding happens on the road though?

That makes a huge difference in how long stuff lasts. The XX1 chain on my gravel/roady lasts dubble otr even tripple the amount of km than same one on my enduro bike for instance. In normal dirty offroad conditions an e-bike will eat through cassettes and chains way faster than a normal bike would. Way more torque through the system.
Climb a 1000m and then smash some descents in the dirt every ride and there will be a marked difference in longevity for sure. No chance a 25kg bike wears a suspension, bearings, drivetrains at a similar pace to an Amish bike unfortunately.  

ps: this is as communicated from people we ride with. “Ebikes are great, but continuous fun comes at a price…payable by visa” lol 

Edited by MORNE

We have four e-bikes in our family now for more than 3 years and have done more than 5000 km per bike. We do a lot of off road riding in all weather conditions. Replace tyres a few times (normal) and only replaced one chain. No cassettes replaced or anything else. Only replace brake pads after 6 months of riding if needed. Do keep bikes clean all the time. Chain cleaned with ultrasonic cleaner after every muddy or dusty ride and lubed after every 100km or so. We don’t have bike shops near us. Nearest more than 200km away. Only take the bikes in for upgrading if we can’t do it over the app. Total cost on each bike (excluding tyres) for “service” about R1 500 per year. E-bikes not so expensive as people make it out to be. 

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

Also consider most of your riding happens on the road though?

That makes a huge difference in how long stuff lasts. The XX1 chain on my gravel/roady lasts dubble otr even tripple the amount of km than same one on my enduro bike for instance. In normal dirty offroad conditions an e-bike will eat through cassettes and chains way faster than a normal bike would. Way more torque through the system.
Climb a 1000m and then smash some descents in the dirt every ride and there will be a marked difference in longevity for sure. No chance a 25kg bike wears a suspension, bearings, drivetrains at a similar pace to an Amish bike unfortunately.  

ps: this is as communicated from people we ride with. “Ebikes are great, but continuous fun comes at a price…payable by visa” lol 

Jip.

The HT is 99% road use.

The MTB does tar to the trails, then play time.  Probably 70% on the trails.  That said, I avoid exessive muddy rides, which makes a significant difference to maintenance costs