Best Gravel Tyre Choice for ZIPP 303s

Johan1983

Hi All

So i bought myself a pair of ZIPP 303s for my gravel bike with a pair

off Pirelli Cinturato™ Gravel M 700 x 45C tyres

Its seems abit too aggressive, wide and pedalling is not as easy

Riding Gravel and Road

What tyres and Width would you guys recommend?

agreed, the best tyres money can buy. if you're spending a higher % on the road, switch to the H's, or go to a 40mm. but for offroad, they are the hornets hips!

Put a set of the Cinturato 45s on Black Inc 20s - think they are awesome and give the best roll over a variety of surfaces.

IMG_3825.jpeg

the Cinturato Ms have a semi solid centre tread pattern and roll really well on tarmac and hardpack…as good as the H version  which are maybe a little lighter but lose out a lot on offroad grip

keep those Ms!

Good Year and Zipp has created tyres specifically for the Zipp wheel. Probably an option to look out for. I do not have Zipp wheels but I have ben using Good Year tyres on my gravel bike and I am really impressed with these.

Absolutely love my Cinturato Ms - mine are 42 so maybe give that a try.

NEVER lost traction in them - best tyres I’ve ever had. Even did Mabalingwe Lion Man 😂 (in hindsight I do not recommend gravel-anything for Lion Man lol) 

6 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Absolutely love my Cinturato Ms - mine are 42 so maybe give that a try.

NEVER lost traction in them - best tyres I’ve ever had. Even did Mabalingwe Lion Man 😂 (in hindsight I do not recommend gravel-anything for Lion Man lol) 

yup, truly versatile tyres...but only know they come in 35 40 50 and 45 , never seen a 42

Cinturato m 45 if you can find them for the win. They ok on the road but when you hit the gravel they are phenomenal.

If you don't want yours I'll buy them from you 

Edited by Mamil
Typo

Yes, can't go wrong with the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel tyres! You could also try Vredestein Aventura 44c (my current set) - closer to the Cinturato Gravel H.

Edited by Smartie

According to some gravel afficiandos, the Schwalbe G-One RS Super Race 40c is tops.

As per the WA chat - 

For context, we were training for the Race to the Sun and selected our tires based on these criteria:

Fast Surface: No muddy areas expected.
Recovery on Tar Sections: Tires should roll well on both tar and gravel. Helps recovery on the tar.
Puncture Protection: Essential for long rides.
Corrugated Surface: Handle rough patches smoothly.
Loose Sand: Maintain stability in sandy conditions.

These seem to retail between R900 and R1300 per tyre, which seems to be the average going price for tyres of any discipline. 

6 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

According to some gravel afficiandos, the Schwalbe G-One RS Super Race 40c is tops.

As per the WA chat - 

For context, we were training for the Race to the Sun and selected our tires based on these criteria:

Fast Surface: No muddy areas expected.
Recovery on Tar Sections: Tires should roll well on both tar and gravel. Helps recovery on the tar.
Puncture Protection: Essential for long rides.
Corrugated Surface: Handle rough patches smoothly.
Loose Sand: Maintain stability in sandy conditions.

These seem to retail between R900 and R1300 per tyre, which seems to be the average going price for tyres of any discipline. 

I bought a set of Schwalbe G-One RS Super Race 40 for the Swartberg Fondo based on the review below. They are great, faster than my Panaracer 38 slicks, and if you lean them over (mtb bike body separation style), they do grip enough in corners for dirt roads (and down the Swartberg pass)

However, I see other reviews love them but note that others last longer (and are much slower)

Bike body separation cornering style:

Edited by Baracuda

On 7/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, Johan1983 said:

Hi All

So i bought myself a pair of ZIPP 303s for my gravel bike with a pair

off Pirelli Cinturato™ Gravel M 700 x 45C tyres

Its seems abit too aggressive, wide and pedalling is not as easy

Riding Gravel and Road

What tyres and Width would you guys recommend?

Not specific to 303s, but I run the Cinturato Gravel H at 45mm wide. Some people prefer narrower tyres, but I weigh close to 100kg, so prefer a bit of volume.
I am on my 3rd or 4th set since I got my GG a few years ago because I don't feel the need to try anything else.
I also ride road and gravel (a couple of tours like Cross Cape etc)