GravDuro = Gravel + Enduro | 26 Ocober

Red Cherry Events

Event Name: GravDuro Gravel Bike Race
When: 26/10/2024
Where: Trail's End Bike Hotel, Grabouw, Western Cape
Category: Gravel

GravDuro Gravel Bike Race | 26 October 2024, Trail's End Bike Hotel

Welcome to the untamed terrain of South Africa, where the thrill of Gravel Racing meets the relaxed atmosphere of Enduro Riding. Hammer it along some of the most iconic sections in the Western Cape. Venture into Oak Valley, Paul Cluver and up the infamous Hans se Kop Climb. The whole thing isn’t a race, you will get a wristband at registration which will be your timing chip on this Gravel / Enduro event. Enjoy a relaxed start and social liaison sections before you get to hammer it out for Stages of the whole route. Take on 6 timed GravDuro Stages throughout the day, making up a total timed distance of 60kms.

Setting off from Trails End Bike Hotel in Grabouw on the 26th of October 2024, this first-time Gravel / Enduro event will be run and led by the team from Red Cherry Events.

The route will use a combination of some of the most iconic farms and climbs in the Western Cape. Using Trails End Bike Hotel as a starting point, the first-ever GravDuro will head into Oak Valley, Paul Cluver and up the infamous Hans se Kop Climb. Don’t have the energy to tackle all the stages? There will be prizes at the end for riders who took on 6 or 4 stages, so you can bail out if the going gets too tough.

The Route will be a total distance of 106 kms, with 6 timed stages in between making up 60kms of the total 106kms. The liaison sections (the pieces between the stages) will be entirely GPS-based. Only the actual segments themselves will be marked, so you can go flat-out through the stage without having to worry about following the GPS.

The event will be most suited to Gravel Bikes and thus the terrain and the segments will be chosen with this in mind. No gravel bike? No problem! You can still take the event on, a Traditional MTB or E-Bike and there will be prizes for all the categories we have listed.

For more information: www.gravduro.co.za

Go to Event Page.

Edited by Red Cherry Events

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

O look, another gravel race in the WC 😭

Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it. And have you seen how few road races there are anymore? Us drop-bar istas need all the fixes we can get. 

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

O look, another gravel race in the WC 😭

There really is a shortage of MTB events isn't there. 

I love it all, gravel and road and MTB somill probably do this Enduro but I really do miss somemof the oldtb events.

Trail seekers wellington is still on the cards this year

On 7/24/2024 at 1:59 PM, Mamil said:

I love it all, gravel and road and MTB somill probably do this Enduro but I really do miss somemof the oldtb events.

yet every local MTB event there's podiums with only 1 or 2 guys on them

Edited by Jbr
trying to clarify for Mamil :D

18 hours ago, openmind said:

Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it. And have you seen how few road races there are anymore? Us drop-bar istas need all the fixes we can get. 

No, what I mean is everytime I open my eyes, there are new gravel events in the WC, whereas GP has a shortage. OK, TBF, a few have new ones started popping up, but it's all doer and gone from me. 

With the amount of roadies doing gravel and with so few road events, it's a pity this is the day before Boland 100 Miler, on of the few road events of the Spring season. I enjoyed this same race format at Eroica, so it's a pity to miss out on this one.

38 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

No, what I mean is everytime I open my eyes, there are new gravel events in the WC, whereas GP has a shortage. OK, TBF, a few have new ones started popping up, but it's all doer and gone from me. 

I see those local GP ones and would desperately love to do more of them but those eye watering entry fees 😭 ... To my budget anyway!

6 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I see those local GP ones and would desperately love to do more of them but those eye watering entry fees 😭 ... To my budget anyway!

Race to the Sun jumps to mind.

Can someone please explain why the entry fees are so high? They don't face half of the legal obstacles that road events do, but the premium over road events is noticable? 

This will be a hit! This format has proven to be extremely popular and inline with the spirit gravel across the globe. Gravel is the future, and clearly we have a unique event on the horizon right on the southern tip of Africa! Well Done to the men and ladies behind this one. I need to gift myself a birthday present!😃

4 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Race to the Sun jumps to mind.

Can someone please explain why the entry fees are so high? They don't face half of the legal obstacles that road events do, but the premium over road events is noticable? 

..because dust is expensive, we attach sales tax and road tax and bicycle tax. Ask Gayton for a copy of the Dust Manifesto! 😂😂😂

22 hours ago, Mamil said:

And two of the "road events" now have gravel rides as well.  Not a bad thing, just a sign of the times.

As for MTB events .... FEW of the one-day events still around ...

1 hour ago, betaboy said:

..because dust is expensive, we attach sales tax and road tax and bicycle tax. Ask Gayton for a copy of the Dust Manifesto! 😂😂😂

That guy is a punk gangster. He wants to bring F1 here? Come now, Minister, let's focus on the BASICS! 

16 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

That guy is a punk gangster. He wants to bring F1 here? Come now, Minister, let's focus on the BASICS! 

Basics you recon .....

Maybe an economy 101 course would be a good place to start .... IF he goes ahead with his statements on sports broadcasting that will be the end of dstv.  Now I am NOT a fan of dstv !!  But I do understand the impact of their broadcasting fees for clubs and sporting bodies ....  this guy is worse than a bull in a china shop.