Cradle Cycle Route Meeting Feedback

love2fly

Someone asked me to share feedback which we received re a meeting about the Cradle cycle route (I have deleted the contact number):

Cycling the Cradle

Good morning everyone

Every time I cycle the Cradle, I think how wonderful it is and how privileged we are.

I was invited by the Gauteng Government to participate in a meeting held concerning safety at the Cradle. Whilst I don’t want to bore you with every detail, it was very refreshing to see their understanding of how meaningful the Cradle is to Gauteng and the determination to ‘protect’ it. 

This is not just about cyclists and runners, it includes other important aspects like the safety of pupils getting to school, a new taxi route which is becoming problematic, speeding motorists & suoerbikes, pollution of the rivers, maintenance of the roads, etc.

Clearly, the point of cyclists being in the middle of the road was raised. I advised them of the hindrances eg glass, gravel, cement, potholes, etc. However, we all know that there are many cyclists who choose to cycle outside of the designated cycling lane. You can argue that it is your right to be there, however, please see it from a different perspective: it makes it difficult as well as unsafe for other cyclists to overtake as you are forcing them even further out into the road; you are making other road users unnecessarily frustrated (giving cyclists a bad rap) and please understand that those cycling lanes were specially put in place for us, the cyclists for our own protection, to help us. It’s difficult to request the Gauteng Roads Dept to consider constructing additional lanes on other roads if we are not prepared to enjoy and appreciate what has already been given to us.  Let’s all be cycling Ambassadors and keep left, be courteous, be friendly, help others and be considerate.

The Government are fully aware of the ‘explosion’ of athletes in recent years and the challenges of congestion and the safety issues which come with it. They would like active engagement from all relevant stakeholders.

Please may I ask you to share this message with every cyclist you know. I would specifically like to reach out to the heads of running and cycling clubs and those who are keen to play a constructive and participative part in this journey to please contact me.

Thank you

Warm regards
Karen

karen@gigidistributors.co.za

14 hours ago, Pandatron said:

Meh

“Got over” what exactly?

Edited by Simon Kolin
Spelling

Its the same narrative every time, 

Your are your own worst enemy

We wont listen to you until you behave

blah blah blah

i dont disagree, but its time to move past this.

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Its the same narrative every time, 

Your are your own worst enemy

We wont listen to you until you behave

blah blah blah

i dont disagree, but its time to move past this.

@Simon KolinI was going to say this