Shimano

LBKloppers

I don't like Shimano anymore, but any alternative is very expensive and almost impossible to justify. Can you help me to justify the change?

Gears (elec or cable). 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 speed?
Brakes (rim or hyro)?
Road or Mountain or Gravel ?

What is your gripe with Shimano ?
(is it the product or the supplier?)

28 minutes ago, splat said:

Brakes (rim or hyro)?
Road or Mountain or Gravel or fishing equipment ?

In addition

And here i am…swopped AXS for peasant level LINKGLIDE XT….as in R4k for cassette + mech+ shifter - on an enduro bike, and its been one of the best groupsets ive used - hand on heart.
Rock solid(quite literally lol. Heavy AF) and reliable…and so cheap i dont care if i break it against a rock. 

Imo…you probably don't not like shimano anymore…you are bored and have upgratitus 😅 

anyway, i do what i want…so should you! Get whatever makes you feel fuzzy.

15 hours ago, splat said:

Brakes (rim or hyro)?
Road or Mountain or Gravel ?

10 or 11 speed Full XT 8100 on a mtb. My gripe.......The inexact tardy shifting. Yes I had everything, and I mean everything, was renewed and setup by the lbs just in case I was a poepol. The other day I got on a old bike my son had with 2010 X9 installed. The crispness of the shifting was such a reminder that we get used by what we have and then we accept it. 

My XT setup is indexed as good as it can be but there is this 3/4 gear area that never shifts when I like. I have to feather the shift or I have to jump two gears up and drop one to get where I want. In mtb, there might be a time or three where this can cause problems.

I don't have the budget to change, but I wish I did.

The other side of the coin is that Shimano still is cheap compared to the SRAM product.

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

And here i am…swopped AXS for peasant level LINKGLIDE XT….as in R4k for cassette + mech+ shifter - on an enduro bike, and its been one of the best groupsets ive used - hand on heart.
Rock solid(quite literally lol. Heavy AF) and reliable…and so cheap i dont care if i break it against a rock. 

Imo…you probably don't not like shimano anymore…you are bored and have upgratitus 😅 

anyway, i do what i want…so should you! Get whatever makes you feel fuzzy.

Yes and no. No budget, but definitely frustrated. The thing is, if my Shimano just shift properly the fuzziness will return. I am not brand bedonnerd, but I do like like my stuff to work properly.

Are you unhappy.? Do you have the money to get sram.? Then that’s justified.. would I switch from what you’re describing.?! probably not.. all bikes have their quirks and that’s what makes them amazing.. 

I have GX setup one the old bike and Mix of shimano XT and SLX on the new one, both have their quirks but I would actually be hard pressed to say which I prefer over the other. I'm in the 'my gear should serve me, I shouldn't serve my gear' camp, so shimano wins out on price. The only thing I dislike compared to GX is the clutch and having to service it every so often if you want good shifting for shimano.

2 hours ago, LBKloppers said:

Yes and no. No budget, but definitely frustrated. The thing is, if my Shimano just shift properly the fuzziness will return. I am not brand bedonnerd, but I do like like my stuff to work properly.

I had this exact issue on AXS. Somewhere mid cassette it would just hesitate for a split second and no amount of electronic micro adjustments could get it sorted. Thats the thing…when theres a cable you can at least get a new one…play around with the tension. When its 1’s and 0’s / signals and it chooses to be salty, it will be salty. 

Linkglide is 11 speed (11-50) , and basically a ‘mechanical version’ of transmission in the way the tooth ramps work. So shifting is slightly slower than hyperglide etc…but way smoother and rock solid. Ive been super impressed with it. It just works…even on my high pivot bike.

IMG_2144.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

16 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

I have GX setup one the old bike and Mix of shimano XT and SLX on the new one, both have their quirks but I would actually be hard pressed to say which I prefer over the other. I'm in the 'my gear should serve me, I shouldn't serve my gear' camp, so shimano wins out on price. The only thing I dislike compared to GX is the clutch and having to service it every so often if you want good shifting for shimano.

Are you suggesting that a clutch service might improve my frustrations?

2 hours ago, Bike Dewing said:

Are you unhappy.? Do you have the money to get sram.? Then that’s justified.. would I switch from what you’re describing.?! probably not.. all bikes have their quirks and that’s what makes them amazing

I am quite capable of servicing all the mechanicals on my bike, but I'd rather ride than fiddle.

3 minutes ago, LBKloppers said:

It wont hurt, but it wasn't really an issue on 11spd. Is a 12s thing. Have you had your mech hanger alignment checked, thats also a possible reason. 

Edited by MORNE

Just now, LBKloppers said:

I've you've never done one yes, I do mine about every 3 - 6 months, super easy todo, I also just use normal grease, probably not advised but eh works for me. Shifting for me improves dramatically especially from the high to lower gears, but then I also run the tension at the highest I can get away with. 

2 hours ago, LBKloppers said:

10 or 11 speed Full XT 8100 on a mtb. My gripe.......The inexact tardy shifting. Yes I had everything, and I mean everything, was renewed and setup by the lbs just in case I was a poepol. The other day I got on a old bike my son had with 2010 X9 installed. The crispness of the shifting was such a reminder that we get used by what we have and then we accept it. 

My XT setup is indexed as good as it can be but there is this 3/4 gear area that never shifts when I like. I have to feather the shift or I have to jump two gears up and drop one to get where I want. In mtb, there might be a time or three where this can cause problems.

I don't have the budget to change, but I wish I did.

The other side of the coin is that Shimano still is cheap compared to the SRAM product.

Theses symptoms are possibly due to a bent derailleur hanger. Did your lbs check it?