Newbie looking for advice regarding best buy within budget

Mel_5

Good day everyone.

I hope all is well!

I’m a woman in her late 20’s looking to get into cycling and was hoping I could ask for some advice on which mountain bike would be the best for me? 
I’m 160cm tall, and my budget is around R3,5k to R5k. I’m also happy (would probably prefer it) to go the 2nd hand route and have been browsing Facebook marketplace, but unfortunately with no knowledge in this area, I have no idea what to look for nor what is a good/bad fit for me. All the different wheel and bike sizes, and different brands have me totally flabbergasted. 😅

I would truly be grateful for any advice you guys could give an ignorant newb. 😁

Thanks so much in advance!

Melissa

Welcome! You've come to the right place, I'm sure you will get all the help you need here, I would stay away from marketplace personally. I'm sure you will find what you're looking for here in the classifieds. In terms of budget used is your only real option, you first want to make sure you know what size to look for based on your inseam and height, I think small but you don't want to make a mistake here. 29inch MTBs are arguably the best and most common now but you will get better bang for your buck with a 26" @RobertWhitehead is very helpful and builds a lot of bikes. He may have something that can work for you on hand, Good luck! Once you find a bike make sure you get a proper bike fit also.

Edited by Sandro

1 hour ago, Mel_5 said:

Good day everyone.

I hope all is well!

I’m a woman in her late 20’s looking to get into cycling and was hoping I could ask for some advice on which mountain bike would be the best for me? 
I’m 160cm tall, and my budget is around R3,5k to R5k. I’m also happy (would probably prefer it) to go the 2nd hand route and have been browsing Facebook marketplace, but unfortunately with no knowledge in this area, I have no idea what to look for nor what is a good/bad fit for me. All the different wheel and bike sizes, and different brands have me totally flabbergasted. 😅

I would truly be grateful for any advice you guys could give an ignorant newb. 😁

Thanks so much in advance!

Melissa

No worries @Mel_5

Only thing worse than "an ignorant newb" is 1 000 cyclists with PhD's in biking ........ 🤣

1 hour ago, Sandro said:

Welcome! You've come to the right place, I'm sure you will get all the help you need here, I would stay away from marketplace personally. I'm sure you will find what you're looking for here in the classifieds. In terms of budget used is your only real option, you first want to make sure you know what size to look for based on your inseam and height, I think small but you don't want to make a mistake here. 29inch MTBs are arguably the best and most common now but you will get better bang for your buck with a 26" @RobertWhitehead is very helpful and builds a lot of bikes. He may have something that can work for you on hand, Good luck! Once you find a bike make sure you get a proper bike fit also.

Another vote for @RobertWhitehead

Welcome to the Hub Melissa.
And welcome to the addictive world of cycling.  Prepare yourself for bankruptcy and the insane joy that accompanies that.  🤩🤣

My suggestions would be 27.5 inch or 29.
Small or XS frame
Whatever you get, go tubeless from the get-go
Your seat will be the first thing that you will have to get buy/change/get used to

That said, go to any good bike shop in your area and let them help you with regards to size.  

Start with the local brand Titan Racing.  Good price in general.
Something like the titan racing rogue.
You WILL work your way up from there as you get more and more into the sport.

My 2c

Remember.........the thrill is in the chase.  So enjoy the journey.  

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

Welcome to the Hub Melissa.
And welcome to the addictive world of cycling.  Prepare yourself for bankruptcy and the insane joy that accompanies that.  🤩🤣

My suggestions would be 27.5 inch or 29.
Small or XS frame
Whatever you get, go tubeless from the get-go
Your seat will be the first thing that you will have to get buy/change/get used to

That said, go to any good bike shop in your area and let them help you with regards to size.  

Start with the local brand Titan Racing.  Good price in general.
Something like the titan racing rogue.
You WILL work your way up from there as you get more and more into the sport.

My 2c

Remember.........the thrill is in the chase.  So enjoy the journey.  

Ive never been more broke.. but ive also never been happier about it..🤣🤣

Greetings Mel.

There's a ton of facets that come into consideration (some mentioned above). Try find somebody you know (or contact as with Robert) that is already in the sport for some advice (caution: not everything said is sound advice - so 2nd opinions are always a good idea).

Before you go the buy route (remember all the equipment that is also needed: helmet, shoes, padding, pump etc etc.) I would suggest, if not already done, to rent a bike and ride a few different trails. Then you will quickly find out more.

Also, where are you located, so we can send you in the general directions?

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence everyone. Mel, the high end of your budget will allow an entry level 29er or 27.5' but there's sooooo many arguments about entry level 29er vs. a well specced 26er. Personally I will go for the well specced machine but that's just me. As mentioned above, kit can easily take your whole budget 😁

Hi Mel,

welcome to mtbA.

that’s mountain bikers anonymous.

firstly find a reputable guy / shop to deal with. See posts above.

secondly, as a newb I would er toward well specced 26er or 27.5. These machines tend to be lighter , easier to turn and the smaller wheels allow for a lower overall gearing which will make your beninging much easier. There are very stable bikes available in these categories hence , have an unbiased expert on your side.

next get yourself good comfortable shoes and pedals. I’d say clip in from the start when your learning curve is steepest and you’re absorbing the learnings like a sponge.

if your monthly budget allows, get yourself a skills coach to teach you the ins and outs, techniques and some basic bike maintenance and care to aid you in keeping your bike running smoothly and avoid getting “advised “ by wallet vacuums and the 10000 Mtb pH D’s 

It’s always a good idea to write some goals you want to achieve e.g. buy a bike, get lessons, trails you want to ride and tick them off 1by1. It’s easy to get caught up in the new hobby and get lost along the way. Simple goals lead to achievable ambitions , success and enjoyment