[Event] One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

Event Name: One Tonner
When: 03/11/2024
Where: Sandringham Farm, Stellenbosch, Western Cape
Category: Road

We are thrilled to announce the much-anticipated PPA One Tonner will take place at Sandringham Farm, Stellenbosch. Participants and spectators can mark their calendars for Sunday, 3 November 2024, when this memorable event will take place. There will be three distances on offer; 44 km; 121 km and 172 km to cater for all fitness levels, a perfect day for the entire family.

The PPA One Tonner has established itself as a sought-after event among cycling enthusiasts, drawing participants from near and far.

The PPA One Tonner, is one of only two events on the PPA calendar that offer a route longer than 120 km. The PPA One Tonner offers the perfect opportunity for your entire DC team to have a final practice run prior to the Old Mutual Wealth Double Century which takes place in November.

We will offer an information tent to assist riders with any last-minute questions as well as a bike shop for minor bike adjustments and last-minute spares anyone may need. There will be a variety of vendors offering coffee for your caffeine fix as well food, beer, cooldrinks, and more! There will be a bike park to ensure more room around the venue for everyone. So come sit back, relax, and enjoy the moment with friends and family.

Your entry fee includes: timing, finishers medal, a beautiful on route experience, fully stocked water points, post-race village, lucky draw with great prizes to be won. Prize money will be awarded to all distance winners with men and women receiving equal prize money up to R30 000.

The two long routes of 121 km and 172 km are both official premier seeding events for the 2025 Cape Town Cycle Tour.

DATE: Sunday, 3 November 2024

VENUE: Sandringham Farm, Stellenbosch

DISTANCES: 44 km; 121 km; 172 km

START TIMES: From 06h00

PRIZE GIVING: The top three men and women across the line prize giving will take place at the venue as soon as the results have been signed-off by the commissaires. We expect this to be between 12h00-13h00 and will announce the actual time at least 30 minutes prior to the prize-giving taking place.

LUCKY DRAW: At 14h00

CUT OFF AT THE FINISH: At 16h00

ENTRIES CLOSE: Entries close Tuesday, 29 October 2024 at 09h00

ENTRY FEE:

44 km PPA member – R240

44 km non-member – R290

121 km PPA member – R420

121 km non-member – R520

172 km PPA member – R590

172 km non-member – R690

*Please note if you are not a PPA Member or a CSA license holder you will be required to take out a CSA Day License for R50.

**If you did not take part in the 2024 Cape Town Cycle Tour where you received the new permanent timing boards or have not yet purchased a permanent Finish Time timing board, you will be required to purchase the permanent board at R140

START GROUPS: You will be divided into groups depending on your seeding. Your start group and start time will be sent via sms and email by Wednesday, 30 October 2024.

Thursday, 31 October 2024: 12h00 – 18h00: Sportsmans Warehouse, Rondebosch.

Friday, 1 November 2024: 12h00 – 18h00: Sportsmans Warehouse, Tygervalley.

Sunday, 3 November 2024: From 05h00: Sandringham Farm.

Please note NO changes or substitutions will be taken on race day.

ROUTE INFORMATION:

44 km Route

In the spirit of inclusivity and encouraging new riders, the event will also feature a 44 km route tailored for younger and novice cyclists. This accessible route ensures a safe and enjoyable experience, catering to those who are new to the sport or prefer a shorter distance. A short loop in the Winelands, perfect for beginners with no big climbs.

No u/13 on the 44 km route as per CSA regulations.

121 km Route

For those looking for a slightly shorter but equally rewarding adventure, the 121 km route featuring the iconic Helshoogte pass, provides a captivating blend of rural and urban scenery, offering participants a memorable journey.

No u/17 on the 121 km route as per CSA regulations.

172 km Route

The 172 km route which includes the renowned Helshoogte and Bothmaskloof passes, offers breathtaking views and demanding climbs, making it a favorite among experienced cyclists seeking a true test of endurance and those that would like to get in their last training and test their fitness levels, before the Old Mutual Wealth Double Century and test their fitness levels. The 172 km route is a tough ride that includes two challenging climbs.

No u/18 on the 172 km route as per CSA regulations.

OUR PARTNERS:

Official Vehicle Partner: Toyota

Official Hydration Partner: Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages

PREMIER SEEDING

The PPA One Tonner long routes, 121 km and 172 km are both Official Premier Seeding events for the 2025 Cape Town Cycle Tour.

Go to Event Page.

I entered last night! I'm hoping for a sub 5h30 this year – hopefully much more likely with a better start than last year (parking disaster) 😂 It should be a lot better at the new start venue.

2 hours ago, mikkelz said:

I entered last night! I'm hoping for a sub 5h30 this year – hopefully much more likely with a better start than last year (parking disaster) 😂 It should be a lot better at the new start venue.

Not quite convinced that the traffic at the new venue will be any better - nothing against the venue itself but again just one access road for everyone + the start chutes using the exact same road as people entering the venue. 

PPA should really rethink the types of venues they use for a race like this, previous venues like Stellenbosch High and Wellington much better at handling the traffic.

52 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Not quite convinced that the traffic at the new venue will be any better - nothing against the venue itself but again just one access road for everyone + the start chutes using the exact same road as people entering the venue. 

PPA should really rethink the types of venues they use for a race like this, previous venues like Stellenbosch High and Wellington much better at handling the traffic.

we lucky to have a 1 tonner this year. thanks to the parking behaviour of cyclists in general, very few venues / and associated parties want a cycle race in their area.