HRT zones?

smallrebel

How do you calculate your HRT zones.

Let me explain:

When you workout 80% of your max, how do you do it?

Say max is 190, wat is your 80% then?

What some do is 190 *.8 = 152.

My only problem with this is that can you hart beat slower than your RHR? So is 0% effort = 0 or RHR?

I say 0% = RHR, which can be something like 45. That gives you a formula of 80% = 45 + 80% (Max HRT - RHR). At the end it's 161.

Big difference........................

Smallrebel, the day they tought that stuff at school I wasnt there. I just use the Polar Spreadsheet and plug in the figures (that I can do). The Polar spreadsheet is tried and trusted.

rebel stopit nouAngry

80% is net 'n persentasie van jou maximum.  Dit het niks te doen met hoe fiks jy is nie.  RHR sal bietjie daal as jy fikser word en dit sal jou toelaat om vinniger te herstel tussen daai high intensity intervals.  OK

Geen training program het al ooit gevra dat iemand teen 40% van sy Max HR oefen nie, want 40% van jou max, is wat nodig is om sommige mense net so ver te kry om asem te haal.  Hou nou op met jou onsinnige mathematics asb.Confused

LOL - MW is maar net crabby vandag want my girl wil hom nie haar F nommer leen vir n race nie. Nou moet hy met n B nommer in G wegspring saam met my baas en almal gaan hom hard laat werk ha ah haaahaLOL

Soms wil ek vir M net so 'n bietjie wurg en 'n m03rse sokkie in sy bek druk.  Miskien leer hy dan wanneer om sy bek te houPinch

Most heart rate zones are expressed as a %age of MHR straight and not taking into account residual resting HR.

Your MHR is just that - your max, and most zones are expressed as a %age of that figure.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BikeMax, can you use smaller words that makes more sense for SmallRebel and MW's sake, I understand what you saying but they might not be so clued up with all the abbreviations / tech talk and so on....

BikeMax' date=' can you use smaller words that makes more sense for SmallRebel and MW's sake, I understand what you saying but they might not be so clued up with all the abbreviations / tech talk and so on....

[/quote']

Marius - behave yourself. If you don;t understand something then just ask Big%20smile

The Karvonen method of Heart Rate calculation to work out training zones is as follows:

MHR - RHR = Z x 80% (or whatever %) = Y

Y + RHR = X

for example...

MHR  for example is 185

RHR for example is 45

Then to work out a training range of 70 to 85% of your MHR would work out as follows:

185 - 45 = 140 x 85% = 119 + 45 = 164

185 - 45 = 140 x 70% = 98 + 45 = 143

Therefore your training range of 70 - 85% would equate to 143 - 164

The Karvonen method (heart rate reserve) has some flaws that you need to be aware of if you use it. Main one being that if you are tired or not recovered from previous training or for any other reason RHR is elevated, then your training zones become harder.

The two methods give quite different zones and the differences are greater at lower intensities so if you are using HR mainly for intervals at higher intensity, then the zones are pretty similar.

Intensity(%HR)

Simple%

Karnoven

(MHR = 195, RHR = 45)

In the latest Ride magazine (or October's) there was an interesting article about Maximum Heart Rates and the "old" method of using 220

Unfortunately I didn't read the mag Thug. 

IMHO, 220 - age is for athletes that have not used an HRM before.  Sort of a starting point.  You soon discover your true Max, when you race with a fast bunch up a hill.

Ek dink nie ons team sal te groot probleem op die eerste 100km he nie. Ses ouens wat al 3 keer die DC sim gedoen het. Tye tussen 6:25 en 7:30. Dis sonder bonk en met bonk. So die manne wat weet wat dit is om te suffer, maar ook wat die regte pace is om te begin.

Nou moet die weer net saam speel en ek hoop nie ons start laaste nie.