Do the PPA actually exist?

evanr4

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Pedal Power Association will be held on Wednesday 17 September 2008' date=' at 18:30 for 19h00 at the MTN Sciencentre Auditorium, Canal Walk Shopping Centre.

[/quote']

Aah they must exist then, that solves it, thanks Wink

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PPA is incompetant.

Lots of money with little plans onhow to spend it in a way that gives back to the community.

Close em down.

And then what ? You offering to start a new organisation to run the majority of the races in WC and competently hold the biggest race in SA ?

What are your plans ?

the biggest race in thecountry is runby the CycleTour trust o which PPA is a shareholder and beneficiary. the event is organised by Rotary' date=' not PPA. PPA just takes a cut of the earning, then through a process of simple puffery, makes you beliee that the buck stops with them.

Well the good news is that if PPA should dissolve, the Cycle Tour will continue irrespective. Fun rides can be incorporated under the CSA banner butthat brings with it more incompetance. With PPA gone, there would be less confusion an only one body to point the finger at. There would be transparency.

Don't fear change, change is good
[/quote']

I think your views are a little naive. Whilst I certainly do not believe that the PPA is perfect, if they disappeared cyclists would lose out on:

1. A seeding system.

2. A road league system (which everyone seems to enjoy).

3. Timed results.

4. Some form of quality control at races.

5. Funding for new single track.

Sure, if the PPA disappeared something else would probably fill the void (although I can assure you it won't be the CSA). I do however doubt whether it would be anywhere near as competent.

I'm not sure how many PPA supported races you've done recently, but there seems to be a marked comitment to finding out what the riders want and then taking this up with the race organisers.

So, I'm happy to pay the PPA whatever it is they charge a year - go into a bike shop and see what that buys you!

How important are those things?

Besides, if PPA actually wanted to work with CSA or any other body then we would start to move forward. As it stands at the moment PPA would rather not be a part of CSA but David COnvinced the members last year that it was better to stay. The vote was close but PPA stayed.

there are better organisations that could take over from PPA. AMA has the potential but it needs bigger thinking. Licensed funrides are an oxymoron.. they belong under the CSA banner and you should only pay for one license.

We get ripped off and everyone sits back and says its ok because we're afriad there won't a be a few funrides for a year..

oh well then lets not complain and be happy with crappy delivery

All my suspicions confirmed PPA is only for the Weatern Cape.

What is there outside of the Western Cape?

there be dragons' date=' dwarfs, and ogres.
[/quote']

we also have goblins, faeries (not fairies like CT) and trolls

The zombies would like to lodge a complaint at being ignored (again).

PPA also refuse to give your ID numbers to CSA' date=' so if you want to enter for a big race youre not recognised on the database. And then you must pay for another day licence.(or something like that)  And mr Bellairs is on PPA and CSA board. So they part of CSA, but trying to undermine the system. I think there's also more members/missing money (like CGC), thats why they dont want to hand over all info...[/quote']

Groot Blade, die PPA het geseg hulle gaan nou vir ons hulle data gee, sodat mense nie meer hoef te skop en skreeu nie. Die data wat ons van hul gaan ontvang gaan dit moontlik maak om suksesvolle lookups op die online entry systems se doen.

Klein Blade

PPA is incompetant.

Lots of money with little plans onhow to spend it in a way that gives back to the community.

Close em down.

Maybe you should check some facts before posting drivel like this...like the R 1.5 million the PPA has spent on community and cyclcing development over the past few months.  All the details are on the website.

All my suspicions confirmed PPA is only for the Weatern Cape.

What is there outside of the Western Cape?

SOUTH AFRICA!!!Big%20smile

PPA and CSA combined !!! Interesting concept . The time is getting closer to hang up the fun racing clothes and start looking at other ways of enjoying cycling .

PPA and CSA combined !!! Interesting concept . The time is getting closer to hang up the fun racing clothes and start looking at other ways of enjoying cycling .
....yup!! Just go for a ride!! Like kids used to once!!! Enjoy with none of the NWO bullsh1t attached!!

PPA also refuse to give your ID numbers to CSA' date=' so if you want to enter for a big race youre not recognised on the database. And then you must pay for another day licence.(or something like that)  And mr Bellairs is on PPA and CSA board. So they part of CSA, but trying to undermine the system. I think there's also more members/missing money (like CGC), thats why they dont want to hand over all info...[/quote']

Groot Blade, die PPA het geseg hulle gaan nou vir ons hulle data gee, sodat mense nie meer hoef te skop en skreeu nie. Die data wat ons van hul gaan ontvang gaan dit moontlik maak om suksesvolle lookups op die online entry systems se doen.

Klein Blade

no wonder i had to pay for a day license for the Knysna and 94.7 eventhough i am a fully licensed rider and then i couldn't find the WP on the drop down menu. when i queried it with the organisers they hupped bubbles.

can someone explain the following : who in the PPA/CSA hierarchy decided that if you want to enter a classic and you are from the Western Province you have to select the PPA as your province.  

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why, on the PPA seeding page, some of the recent races have a winners time of 00:01:00 and the Ride Index is 99%.

I presume it gets fixed later but why do they put it up like that?

Lefty, no one is forcing you to become a PPA member (unless you want to do the Argus which, even I consider to be vast capitalist conspiracy!). Point is that the majority of cyclists do benefit from the PPA.

The CSA are useless. They have not even been capable of keeping the W.Cape provincial XC races going. Do you really exepct them to manage approx 100 events per year!

AMA / Dirtopia have chosen (I think correctly I feel) not to focus on racing. Quite frankly I don't think they have (or want) the infrastructure.

The CSA IS useless, on the 94.7 entry page the club I belong to is not even listed, nor are a few others I can name - all of them are CSA affiliated clubs - so now when you enter, it says you are not "registered with CSA" and I assume you will be forced to buy a temporary license.? - even though you have done the "right thing" and joined a club, paid over for a license etc,etc - its a joke.!

Seriously a PPA membership is about R200 a year, lets not kid ourselves that is nothing. consider the costs of running the organisation.

Then you pay R60 for a race, try playing a round of golf!

The PPA is an affordable organisation that provides, IMO, great service. so what if they make the odd mistake on the seeding ladder (which will get sorted later) or take a couple of days to reply to an email, this is not the end of the world

For crying out loud, if you dont like it and dont appreciate the benefits dont renew your membership.

I am fairly happy with the PPA, has worked well for me. Normally they respond quickly to my queries ? if not I phone them or pop into their offices, and that normally gets a fast response.

They are not perfect, but fairly good ? always keep in mind what they DO, and what falls outside their work/business scope.. The competition from CycleLab has been great and forced PPA to lift its game.

PS: PPA is not CSA (same industry, different service/product provider!!!!)

PS2: As with TV, if you don?t like the crap programme, just don?t watch/join?.

automated one stating that I will be contacted shortly.

Your definition of 'shortly' obviously differs with theirs...

smiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

That brings back memories of that one shoe repair shop I went to ? it had a big sign ?Repairs done while you wait?. They did not lie, %@&^$, that was the longest waiting I ever did!!!