Sports drinks??

Huh?? the notion that there is some ideal "balance" of carbohydrates is pure marketing baloney. There a million good sport science studies that show that the effectiveness of energy drinks is not related to GI or any mix of different carbs, but simply the rate at which it is ingested - with the notable exception of fructose, which is inferior. There is no difference in the rate at which pure glucose or glucose polymer are oxidised, and the rate of delivery to the intestine from the stomach is dependent on the concentration of the carb drink and the drinking pattern, i.e. the more you drink, the faster it is delivered to the intestine (ok up to a point). At the concentrations we use these drinks, the different sugars are absorbed equal rates.

However, Asker Jekendrup recently found that sucrose, of all things, had have a greater rate of absorption at the intestine. This study is being followed up on at UCT to see if that translates into increased carb oxidation and improved performance. And sucrose is.. table sugar! Gatorade? sucrose. Energade? sucrose. Powerade? Sucrose. Game? sucrose. Coke? sucrose. All of them qualify as drink of champions, but the flavour and sweetness may not be so lekker. 

So, go for the drink that suits your palate and pocket, and make sure that you get enough by taking about 40-50 grams of carb every hour.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However' date=' Asker Jekendrup recently found that sucrose, of all things, had have a greater rate of absorption at the intestine. This study is being followed up on at UCT to see if that translates into increased carb oxidation and improved performance.

[/Quote']

Is this the test that was done a month or two ago with about 10 cyclists over a period of a week or so? If so know if there are any results yet?

I use Exel Enduro. Can be used before, during and after race. Does not affect your blood sugar levels. Good for diabetics.Supreme carb infusion. Tried other stuff but in gives me headaches and dizziness. Works for me.

Huh?? the notion that there is some ideal "balance" of carbohydrates is pure marketing baloney. There a million good sport science studies that show that the effectiveness of energy drinks is not related to GI or any mix of different carbs' date=' but simply the rate at which it is ingested - with the notable exception of fructose, which is inferior. There is no difference in the rate at which pure glucose or glucose polymer are oxidised, and the rate of delivery to the intestine from the stomach is dependent on the concentration of the carb drink and the drinking pattern, i.e. the more you drink, the faster it is delivered to the intestine (ok up to a point). At the concentrations we use these drinks, the different sugars are absorbed equal rates.

However, Asker Jekendrup recently found that sucrose, of all things, had have a greater rate of absorption at the intestine. This study is being followed up on at UCT to see if that translates into increased carb oxidation and improved performance. And sucrose is.. table sugar! Gatorade? sucrose. Energade? sucrose. Powerade? Sucrose. Game? sucrose. Coke? sucrose. All of them qualify as drink of champions, but the flavour and sweetness may not be so lekker. 

So, go for the drink that suits your palate and pocket, and make sure that you get enough by taking about 40-50 grams of carb every hour.
[/quote']

Isn't the fact the sucrose absorbs faster due to being a short chain polymer, and fructose a long chain polymer hence absorption being slower and therefore reducing the insulin spike?

I'd be interested in seeing the study, is it available in the public domain?

Don't mess around. Use the best - Bionic Hypofuel. It tastes great (not too sweet) and is:

"A Hypotonic energy drink designed to increase glycogen uptake by balancing blood sugar levels. The pH level of Hypo Fuel has been scientifically formulated to help eliminate cramping by reducing the acidity of hydrogen ions that are secreted during strenuous events."

INGREDIENTS:
Short, Medium and Long Chain Glucose Polymers, Sodium Pyruvate, Sodium Phosphate Dibasic, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate Dibasic, L-Carnitine, L-Glysine, MagnaPower?, L-Glutamine, Pre-biotic, Aspalathox?, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Betaine HCL, Calcium Ascorbate, Magnesium Lactate and MSM. Multi-Vitamin Complex: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Nicotinamide (B3), Pantothenic Acid (B5), Pyridoxine (B6),Vitamin B12, Folic Acid and Biotin. (Contains no Phenylalanine or artificial Colourants/flavourants).

See the website http://www.bionic.co.za for more details.

FITS Dura-Train.. 6 scoops and it still tastes like water Big%20smile
Agreed. FiT is the stuff that not only works but is also the best tasting energy drink around.

Nope. neither is a polymer. Some studies show slower fructose oxidation, some show the same. But it does seem like i might have to review my statement about there being an ideal mix, because having more types of sugars does increase the oxidation of ingested carbohydrate (cho).

However, the feeding rate was 72 grams per hour, which means 900 ml/h of most commercial energy drinks, what are the chances of that for most people when racing, so a better approach would be a gu plus liquid. The downside is possible gastric discomfort from the increased cho concentration in the stomach and reduced gastric emptying.

There is a significant increase in the quantity of cho that is used by the body when sucrose or fructose is added to a glucose drink, even when the total cho intake is the same.

It was always said (i.e. measured) that 1.1 grams per minute was about the maximal rate, while now, with a high rate of combo-cho ingestion (144 grams per hour) that rate increased to 1.7 grams per minute, which is pretty exciting for us sport scientists. On a practical note, that amounts to about a litre of energy drink and 2 syrup sachet's per hour..

What this suggests, but was not measured, is that muscle glycogen might be spared by using this combo drink, which in turn should make you perform better. However, it has yet to be resolved whether this combo drink actually makes you ride faster. UCT should provide the answer in a few weeks..

For starters, go to the link below, and play from there; medline is a great resource for physiology of cycling.

Metabolism. 2005 May;54(5):610-8.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=15877291

Thanks, I'll read it - so I can start to know my polymers from my monomers (if there is such a thing Confused)

Does nobody use Enervit, been using the whole pruduct range for the past couple of years, tastes good, their Cheer packs work so well it feels like you have new legs in the last twenty odd ks.

Does nobody use Enervit' date=' been using the whole pruduct range for the past couple of years, tastes good, their Cheer packs work so well it feels like you have new legs in the last twenty odd ks.[/quote'] The GT tablet is awesome should cramps arise but FiT is still tops with me.

where can u buy FiT and who is the manufacture / distributor?

Try the CarboTrain Tangerine flavor. It will keep you cool Big%20smile

From Fit Website<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We hope you find the information on this site useful & interesting ? plus we have a GREAT COMPETITION with R75000 worth of prizes running! There are FOUR interim draws plus a GRAND PRIZE draw between <?:namespace prefix = st1 />15 November 2006 and 02 April 2007.

Have you guys tried Evox Supercarbo. Its great good taste well priced and just the carbs you need.

To add vitamins and minerals to a drink you use on the bike is shown to slow down absorption. The simpler the better. That with all the extras is fine for training.

They also have great energy bars which are like food, as well as glycopro which is great recovery drink with the right amount of protein and carbs.

I arranged for them to sponsor range for a JHB CT ride and the guys were very happy.

I think Supercarbo 1kg is R70. or R80