Why cyclists get hit

ewep

Dit was die idee epoh.  As ek die ou met die vuis gemoer het, sou dit net erger gewees het.  Ek hoop my handmerk brand nog lekker!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO,

It is a motorist's resposibility to drive safely. That includes cars, busses, taxi. The same goes for cyclists - they should not endanger other road users through their actions.

It is NOT you responsibility to confront/educate/tell off any other user of the road. You may report the person to the authorities. Your behaviour made the situation worse - not beter.

Having a public fight is not something to be proud of - you may not have taken the first swing - but you could have prevented the whole situation by in the first place not confronting and second place not exiting your vehicle.

Next time the guy may be armed and the situation could be much worse.

Tonton

You are right, having a public fight is nothing to be proud of, but it sounds like ewep was trying to do the right thing.

If Sr Colnago had taken ewep's warning in the spirit in which it was intended (instead of behaving like a dumb cent) how different could this story have been?

Nobody really wants to see any cyclist, however idiotic, hit by another vehicle, but we have all seen cyclists pulling fcukwit moves and wondered how long their guardian angels would put up with the fcukwittery.

Tonton, so I should report the oke. But to who?Or should I leave him to get run over, killed or maimed?  As for the fight, I got out of my car, yes, but I first tried to talk to the oke.  And yes, I did hit back, because I'm not just going to stand and let an oke swipe at me as he wants.

Guest Michelle

Now all we need is some guy to come on here & complain about getting  b!tchslapped by an oke in the traffic this morning LOL

ok so what is the solution??

clearly the Identity should be established first.

name and shame the offending cyclist?

ban him from all events for a year? Vok die warnings..

deal with him yourself in a manner appropriate...

If we really serious about sorting this out then surely every rider out there who is law abiding should stand together against the louts in our community and expel them.

do we have the Cahuna's

You may report the person to the authorities

With all due respect, when was the last time jou cycled with plate numbers or other forms of identification strapped on your rear end?

Already the police looks funny at you if you want to report crimes like robbery.  What do you think will they do if you tell them that you just saw a cyclist acting like a pr!ck on the rode.  They will tell you to jump.

What I'm trying to get at is this - yes the guy behaved like

a moron - yes it brings the cycling communities name into disrepute. But to

confront him and to exit your vehicle (which can be seen as an act of

aggression ? ? hey do you want a piece of me? Here I am!?) is not the way to do

things ? did you pull off the road of did you block traffic during the whole

incident? You can not take the law into your own hands ? this leads to

retaliation like we saw here. Frankly it is dangerous ? I repeat ? what if this

guy was a wackhead and had a gun, what then?

Ok, maybe in this situation you could not report this guy ?

maybe there should be more law enforcement. On the other hand ? if you were a

police officer or reservist then maybe you could apprehend this guy if he broke

the law ? now that?s a though isn?t it?

OK tonton, let me explain.  I was going to leave the guy alone.  I spoke my mind, very civilized en ordentlik.  HE was the one that crossed over 2 lanes, jumped off his bike and stormed at my car.  Now if I recall correctly someone mentioned something about dents in cars caused by cycling shoes.  If I cut him off, by all means, dent away.  But HE caused the problem (en my kar like nie van dents nie)! 

And if he had a gun it would just have been one more shootout in Jhb.

As for a reservist or SAPS member, you would've had difficulty arresting this guy.  Metro Police could easily, but why.  Woo much work, easier sitting behind a laser than working on the street.

The attitude of South African road users is the problem.  Does not matter wether you are on a bicycle or in a car or in a taxi or if you are a pedestrian.  Almost everyone nowadays thinks he has rank over everybody else on the road.  This is why the Arrive Alive campaign will never succeed as it should.  It only addresses issues like speeding, and drunk driving.

My wife now shared a room in hospital with a Capetonian lady who was up here in Gauteng for work purposes.  One afternoon after work on her way back to her accomodation, she was driving on the N14.  This f#cknut in his 4x4 was not impressed with her not moving into the left lane quickly enough and decided that he will pass her on her left in the emergency lane, with all the sign language and while he was at it he cut in front of her, clipping her car.  She almost lost control of her vehicle and soon after that she went into labour.  She had to go for an emergency cesearian (spelling) and the baby is now in ICU 3-4 weeks premature.  Just because someone can not wait a few seconds extra.  I am really wondering why we can make statements like "proudly South African" when this is what each and every one of us has to endure on the roads of South Africa.

Maybe the guy on the Colnago was just stressed from living in Gautengaleng. Us Capies are more relaxed.

Maybe the guy on the Colnago was just stressed from living in Gautengaleng. Us Capies are more relaxed.

There has been enough reports on this site alone to inidate that this is a pipe dream.  The problem is all over.

The attitude of South African road users is the problem.  Does not matter wether you are on a bicycle or in a car or in a taxi or if you are a pedestrian.  Almost everyone nowadays thinks he has rank over everybody else on the road.  This is why the Arrive Alive campaign will never succeed as it should.  It only addresses issues like speeding' date=' and drunk driving.

My wife now shared a room in hospital with a Capetonian lady who was up here in Gauteng for work purposes.  One afternoon after work on her way back to her accomodation, she was driving on the N14.  This f#cknut in his 4x4 was not impressed with her not moving into the left lane quickly enough and decided that he will pass her on her left in the emergency lane, with all the sign language and while he was at it he cut in front of her, clipping her car.  She almost lost control of her vehicle and soon after that she went into labour.  She had to go for an emergency cesearian (spelling) and the baby is now in ICU 3-4 weeks premature.  Just because someone can not wait a few seconds extra.  I am really wondering why we can make statements like "proudly South African" when this is what each and every one of us has to endure on the roads of South Africa.
[/quote'] ClapClapClap

Yep, SA drivers are phuqwyts of the grandest order.

Hey talking on your mobile is cool man. Even better if you're applying makeup using the vanity mirror whle driving the biggest gas guzzling SUV you can afford

Oh hold I forgot, it's been driven at 140km/hr and at this speed takes about 200m to stop, yep thats 1/5th of a kilometre before reaction time is taken into account.

dare I say it but I think considering the fact that taxi's are a commercial transport medium, the drive better than most..[ducks for cover]

Just last wekend I was followed down lansdowne Rd (Thats Slaapstadt for the Gauties) by a phuqwyt in a Venture panel van.  He was weaving behind me. and then tries to force me off the road.

The driver was a young white male box, with Oakley 5's and an Oakley t-shirt (clearly very poor). I stop outside Crown Cycles and he pulls over and shouts at me;

"If you cut me off again I' phukin kill you you phukin H-word".

Now I'm not sure where I had cut him off,maybe I made the mistake of getting in fron of him as traffic funneled from  2-lane's into 1, but If this was the incident in question hen I was clearly ahead by a car length.

Being amused by this clearly pissed him off more but he choose to smoke tyres and try to kill a pedestrian instead..

Aggression is a latent decease in our society. So how do you deal with it....

enter the penguins;" Smile and wave biys, smile and wave....

Bateleur1: You summarised the road problem in this sentence. quote "Almost everyone nowadays thinks he has rank over everybody else on the road."

It possibly started with TAXI's; these days people (not all of them) with good careers; flashy cars; expensive houses, believes they "own" the road  ... unfortunately these attitude comes along when these "individuals" gets on their bicycles as well!!!!

Hence why you get people in 4x4's; R500K cars believes it is OK to drive and talk on their cell phones ... not obeying the LAW means you disrespect the country you live in as well as you fellow human being .....