Deon maaas kaas artikel - protest

amoryns

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest' date=' I read the article and had a bit of a chuckle.

Sure its in bad taste, and sure it could be derogatory, and sure it could be inflamatory, but, in the end, its only his opinion.

99% of news today inflames or insults or demonizes someone.!!! - dont tell me you believe and act on everything you read.!

So whats the issue, I really dont believe the majority of SA citizens are going to now start waking up in the morning and say - HEY LETS KILL A CYCLIST TODAY - Beeld condones it.!!

Give the population a bit more credit please, and for "GOODNESS SAKE", stop taking everything so seriously, see it for what it is - a bit of bad journalism - and move on!!.

What next, should smokers start a petition and a march down eloff street because some joker wrote about how they ruin the ozone and should all be eliminated.

*Sigh* - I dont know, I just dont know. 

PS- Please dont start a thread in reply about the  (or any) cyclist who was run down by a motorist and the ..............................................!!!

I am well aware of these situations, and have experienced it first hand, but these are non related issues, no person in a sane mind will ever run a person down because of a news article.

[/quote']

I sent mine!

Widget, there are so many narrow minded people and people who already think that cyclists don't belong on any road! All this article is gonna do is make them think that is ok to run us off the road! action needs to made!!!

To be honest' date=' I read the article and had a bit of a chuckle.

Sure its in bad taste, and sure it could be derogatory, and sure it could be inflamatory, but, in the end, its only his opinion.

99% of news today inflames or insults or demonizes someone.!!! - dont tell me you believe and act on everything you read.!

So whats the issue, I really dont believe the majority of SA citizens are going to now start waking up in the morning and say - HEY LETS KILL A CYCLIST TODAY - Beeld condones it.!!

Give the population a bit more credit please, and for "GOODNESS SAKE", stop taking everything so seriously, see it for what it is - a bit of bad journalism - and move on!!.

What next, should smokers start a petition and a march down eloff street because some joker wrote about how they ruin the ozone and should all be eliminated.

*Sigh* - I dont know, I just dont know. 

PS- Please dont start a thread in reply about the  (or any) cyclist who was run down by a motorist and the ..............................................!!!

I am well aware of these situations, and have experienced it first hand, but these are non related issues, no person in a sane mind will ever run a person down because of a news article.

[/quote']

I sent mine!

Widget, there are so many narrow minded people and people who already think that cyclists don't belong on any road! All this article is gonna do is make them think that its ok to run us off the road! action is needed!

Got a reply from Andriette Stofberg:

Mnr...........

Natuurlik deel nie By of Beeld of ek

of selfs Deon Maas sentimente soos dat fietsryers uitgewis moet word

nie. Heelwat van Beeld se redaksielede is fietsryers en my eie kinders

ry fiets.

As u Maas se rubriek al lees van die

begin af, sal u besef dat die rubriek satiries is --- met ander woorde,

hy neem gewoonlik n kwessie wat aktueel is en speel dan

duiwelsadvokaat: hy oorbeklemtoon die kwessie deur dit vanuit n

ekstreme, omstrede hoek te benader --- juis sodat dit mense aan die

dink en debatteer moet sit.

In hierdie geval het dit gegaan oor n

berig wat Beeld verlede week gedra het van fietsryers van n klub (wat

die hele pad volgery het) wat n motorryer agtervolg en aangerand het en

sy motor beskadig het omdat hy dit durf waag het om vir hulle te toet

om vir hom as mede-padgebruiker ruimte te gee om verby te kan steek.

Die fietsryers se gedrag was uiteraard onaanvaarbaar. (Nes daardie

vragmotorbestuurder se gedrag gister).

Wat Maas gedoen het, is om motoriste

se frustrasie uit te lig met fietsryers wat gou is om die vinger na

hulle te wys, maar nie self hou by die padre?ls nie. Al is dit net n

klein groepie fietsryers wat dit doen. Soos wat dit ook n klein groepie

motoriste is wat soos daardie vragmotorbestuurder sal optree. Deur die

rubriek so te skryf, probeer Maas aantoon hoe gevaarlik hierdie

frustrasie onder motoriste kan raak. DIT is wat n satire doen.

Dat hy in sy doel geslaag het, blyk

juis uit die reaksie op die rubriek. Nie net uit die mense wat so kwaad

raak dat hulle briewe daaroor skryf nie, maar elkeen van ons motorryers

wat al so woedend vir fietsryers geword het dat hulle nare gedagtes

gekoester het (wat hulle waarskynlik nooit sal erken nie en ook nooit

hardop sal uitspreek nie). Maas doen die onaanvaarbare: hy spreek

hierdie gedagtes hardop uit --- sodat mense kan besef hoe onaanvaarbaar

dit is.

Groete

Andriette Stofberg

I understand all the points put forward - however I find it very hard to accept / believe that sane everyday people (of which you probably count yourself one) see this as an invitation to an open day on cyclists.

I mean, if you were not a cyclist, would this article make you believe it was okay to ride one down?

As sane normal folk, I doubt it - you would in all likelyhood have a bit of a chuckle and move on.

However, if we want to look at the facts, we see quite clearly that motorists who hoot aggressively, drive too close to cyclists, thump on the steering wheel or suchlike are simply expressing "Anger or Rage", this in all probabilities has nothing to do with the cyclist, but all to do with "immediate stress management" (eg) they may have missed an important meeting in traffic, they may have had an argument with their wife / husband / children, they may be in a position of extreme stress at work and this aggressive behaviour is simply a vented expression on the cyclists - or for that matter, family, friends, pets, the front gate etc.

It has absolutely nothing to do with reading a newspaper article. 

Motorists who jump lights / stop streets, drive too fast or swerve in and out of traffic (maybe causing a cycling accident as well ) simply have bad driving habits - thats all.

Again, it has nothing to do with reading newspaper articles. 

Sure, its emotional and pulls at the heart strings, and sure, I have no issue if folk feel the need to take the matter further, but in reality, its just a bit of poor journalism expressing an opinion,which I dont believe is a fair reflection of even 0.002% of the population . 

Widget, it is to do with the growing notion that cyclists don't belong on the road. Some of us here have even expressed it.

This sort of article perpetuates that notion. And if people believe that as a cyclist you are taking up their space and time then the results will start to add up. Reasonable and responsible people will not react but others that already thump steering wheels, scream and carry on WILL go a step further - like passing close enough to you to make it very uncomfortable etc.

In their mind they are "sort of" justified in taking these actions because society says you don't belong.

sent.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I also think this is a dangerous line taken by Mnr <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />MaonName>as. 

Widget, not all are as mature in their thinking process as you are and not all have considered the consequences of their actions if they were to "teach that cyclist" a lesson.

What a do find unacceptable is that this can be written off under the banner of satire.  I doubt as sane folk (a non cyclist that might have been frustrated by cyclists before) they would see your point of view.  They would rather have a chuckle and think "those bastards, they are always in my way, this guy hits it on the head.  I would be great to teach them a lesson."

A seed of hatred has been sown and who knows what that might grow into.

"Maas doen die onaanvaarbare: hy spreek hierdie gedagtes hardop uit --- sodat mense kan besef hoe onaanvaarbaar dit is."

Maybe I must phone maaskaas and tell him what I think o my boss. He can them put it in the paper and I will just explian to my Boss that it is an "satirne'. I am ure he will undertand.

The reply that THUG got from that Anriette Stofberg is laughable:

Her Logic is F#cked up Angry. What she implies is that extreme behaviour exhibited  makes us not want to do it. How many people that read that newspaper understand it?   

Would it not be prudent to put a Disclaimer (Like in Jackass) that would warn people of the content when Deon Maas spews this rubbish. The disclaimer should read:This article was written by an absolute moron with no journalistic integrity and anyone who reads this should be institusionalised. This goes for his editor to.