At what % ?

Beee

Depends on how long and how close to the heat you put it.

220 deg C. = 100% Heat Rate (HR) at this HR you will totaly fry all the fat after abouy 30 minutes.LOL

It differs from person to person. Its also a value that can change with exercise. The only way to determine absolute fat and glycogen turning points is to get tested by a sport scientist. Rule of thumb....70% and less.

Short answer:  70%

Short but not very accurate.

At around 70% of max HR your body is able to utilise fat reserves to meet energy requirements because the metabolism of fat reserves can more or less keep pace with your energy requirements.  That is why this is referred to as the "fat burning zone".

If you want to lose weight the calculation is very simple: you must use more calories than you take in.  You can do this by limiting your calorie intake (what you eat) or increasing your calorie usage (exercise) or some combination of the two.  Obviously the harder you exercise, all things held constant, the more fat you will burn and the more weight you will lose.

The problem comes with the "all things held constant".  If you exercise at higher intensities you will burn more fat but it will become increasingly difficult to keep your calorie intake low because you will feel hungrier.

There is some good news: if you increase your metabolic rate, which requires aerobic exercise of at least 45 minutes at 70% of max HR or above, your body will carry on at a higher metabolic rate for several hours after you stop exercising.

OK, so as ek elke dag @ 70% vir so +-2ure fietsry , dan behoort my bodyfat% redelik te drop?? (as ek nou nie bos gaan en myself dood vreet nie!!!LOL)

Nou nog 'n question....

is 70% hard enough for base training?

You need to train for what you intend to do.

There is a school of thought that says that if you do lots and lots of miles (or even kilometres) at moderate intensity, you will get fast.  I call that BS.  If you do lots of miles at moderate intensity, you are training your body to ride at moderate intensity.

So, if you are training to race, you will need to build in some intensity, and changes in intensity because that is what you will encounter in racing.  If you go out and train at 70% of max, you should be able to ride home reasonably comfortably, as opposed to going out hot and heavy and then struggling to complete your ride.

Find a training route (or routes) and start riding at low intensity.  When you are comfortable with that, start upping the effort levels, working harder on the hills and alternately pushing hard and recovering.

Don't overthink it; after all, it's as easy as riding a bike.

In all the reading I have done I have come to the following conclusion (which may in fact be wrong, but what I've read seems to support it).

There is a certain maximum rate at which your body is able to metabolise fat.  AS intensity increases, so the body has to draw more from faster burning fuel stores (muscle, liver, and blood glycogen stores).  The fat burning rate stays pretty constant, but the percentage of energy that comes from fat reduces as intensity increases.

I suspect that the reason why traditionally the 60%-70% zome has been called the fat burning zone, is because in this zone you are burning the highest percentage fat/carbs.

One of the problems that people have is they train at high intensity, deplete their glycogen stores.  Their blood glucose levels drop and they end up consuming more after exercise than they have expended - which means they don't lose weight.

Nou nog 'n question....

is 70% hard enough for base training?

It depends what you want out of the training -

If you want to get faster then forget about base training at 70% and lower and try and get a little more quality in by riding at "tempo" pace (75 - 85% MHR)

Traditional LSD rides elicit very little benefits in fitness terms (short of increased muscle capiliarisation and a few other adaptive benefits as has been stated on another thread)

Unless you have unlimited training time then you are better off raising the quality and so increasing your fitness and in turn ability to ride faster.

The "off" season when you may not be racing, is the best time to increase fitness without worrying about being fresh for or tired from races.

Beee, it's an interesting question cause how much tim  do you have??

I suggest up your % HR as Bikemax stated during the week and you will actually burn more fat in a shorter time. Over weekends do the 70% thing on long rides.

Of course you have to eat correctly too otherwise don't bother...

Fat is burnt at the highest rate at closer to 80 % mhr, not 70 % (Romijn, 1993, 1995). The reason it is so often given as 60-70 % mhr is that the highest proportion of fat is burnt at that intensity range, but the highest absolute rate of fat oxidation is closer to 80 % mhr or 70 % vo2max.

Training at 80 % mhr will therefore give you a double benefit of burning fat as fast as possible and increasing your threshold substantially (unless you're already pretty damn fit).

In fact, you should only start with threshold trianing when your threshold stops increasing from this tempo training. Unless of course you have been riding for years, and your time is limited (training time, not time on earth), in which case you could go in for some reverse periodisation and start with short-effort threshold training and work from there - not pleasant, but effective.. 

Funny enough, we have been doing 70% rides for the last two weeks now, and I eat like a pig, but just keep losing weight. I am at just under 70kg now where previously I struggeld to get below 72.

So I definitely burn more fat in these zones.