Song of the day, add your current favourite....

SwissVan

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the extended Maxi single on Vinyl sitting in my cupboard :thumbup:

lol

i have 21st century boy 7" which i received with some mag back in the day...can't say I have played it much though

agree, this thread has been a very interesting music discovery journey - had the ipad playing more obsure songs last night as I was lying in bed. Didn't know that about Black Magic Woman, but i guess it's true of quite a few songs - the people that cover it make it more famous then the original.

Well where shall I begin.

Black Magic Woman on the English Rose album written by Peter Green is actually super well know.

It's a cult song, a classic that when you mention it people will immediately say Peter Green, although he was part of Fleetwood Mac in their bluesy era.

Yes, Santana made it popular by almost commercializing it.

Now the problem I have, is this.

Latin musicians and especially the jazz musicians, well only one word to describe it …… horrid.

I like Santana but as Chick Corea he often fell in to the fusion trap, I call it jazz without a story, really horrible stuff and not always enjoyable to listen to.

But if any of you are reading my nerdish boring scribbles here, do yourselves a favour.

Get the DVD of the Buena Vista Social Club, the story as told by Wim Wenders and Ry Cooder, that is an absolute mindf@#$.

Musicians so true to their art, songs so old and steeped in tradition that you every hair on your body stands up.

The musicians are Cuban, and Cuba is considerd by many as Latin American.

Thus my ramble, if you want to hear the Latin American sound done properly, the Buena Vista Social Club is your first class ticket.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Uni...with a set of earphones and no distractions...dedicate 4 minutes to listen to this. One of the greatest bits of music written and sung in my opinion. I feel privileged having this song represent my birth year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM

and then....Everyone knows Rumours for its hits, but really give it a good listen, BUT only after listening to Fleetwood Mac (which Landslide is on)

Brilliant track this ,phenomenal track to say the least.

That same album has Rihannon on it.

Both great songs, both Stevie Nicks compositions, shows how talented she is as a songwriter.

Rumours.

Yes, the album had hits, lot's of them, reason being quite simply is that the album probably has some of the best tracks ever written by artists on one album.

The songs are so well composed it was difficult for them not to become hits.

That album listened to on a remaster and a good system is just out of this world.

The studio recording and mixing was exceptional, Lyndsey Buckingham plays a pivotal role on the album.

Stevie Nicks shines but is not as 'dominant' as she could be.

Christine McVie (formerly Perfect) also contributes fantastically , Songbird is a spine chilling track.

John McVie plays an exceptional bass with an addictive rhythm .

Last but not least, Mick Fleetwood, perfect drumming from start to finish, a flamboyant character and it comes through in the way he plays.

This will probably become the most iconic album of all time.

If it's not in a music lovers collection, they are not music lovers.

there is the entire set of Ry cooder BBC grey whistle test somewhere on the tube...I love this from that