Wearing a Helmet

The Saint

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like to name names, but he is a pro and should be a better example. Jock Green in his Red Barloworld kit wasn't wearing a helmet on Hendrick Potgieter today.

Example to young people?

I replied to your other post but they usually leave from the LifeStyle Centre on Saturday's and Sunday's.

Saturday - ride to Durban and back - around 80km, pace can get quite frisky as they try and outdo the vaalies

Sunday - shorter ride, 50-60km slightly inland (read hilly) but its an easy ride.

Grab a copy of The Courier, the local paper, they always have an article in there with the times and meeting places for the rides.

Shows just how much the authorities care that the legislation is not enforced.

MuXmAn: Enforing this law is easy by the authorities; I think the problem is with the greater population that uses a bicycle as means of transport? Also how to give a fine to someone that has no form of identification on him? When the authorities stop you with a car, the first thing they ask you is for your drivers license .. which has your name, ID etc. I think it is a catch 22 for the authorities to enforce such a law.

With the Alberton group; I think the majority of cyclist should either tell them they not welcome or do not ride with them?

Point taken...just don't mention license too loud. Next thing you know they will introduce a bicycle license as added revenue for the powers that be.

swiss van what are the traffic regulations for cyclists there in heidi and peter  country ? I read your post about the chap who got wrapped on the knckles for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing. How do they view the issue of cyclists with out helmets or is it not an issue ?

Not sure what the actual law says, I think that it is compulsory kids < 16 but not compulsary for adults. You see quite a few people (sport and casual cyclists) without helmets, but I would say the majority do wear helmets.

Often see (and laugh at) cyclisst cycling with their helmets off and being held in their hands / handle bars when it is hot or when going uphill...

If it was law they would all be wearing their helmets.

It is law to have a bike license (cost = +/- chf 5.00) here for each bike you ride, this is for insurance (3 rd party) purposes, so if you ride into someone their damages will be covered. The license comes in the form of a small sticker which you are supposed to display on your bike, i have been stopped once for not having a sticker ( i did have one but it was in a position where the polizei could not see it).

When we were in Zurich in July there was a road block for cyclists - spot license checks. About 10 Polizei with guns etc stopping little old ladies and school kids.

When we were in Zurich in July there was a road block for cyclists - spot license checks. About 10 Polizei with guns etc stopping little old ladies and school kids.

JA THOSE ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS OF CYCLISTS, PEDISTRIANS AND MOTORISTS FOR SURE LOL

Just a little message................ I recently spent nearly ten days in a coma after banging my head in a car crash' date=' I'll never ride without a helmet.

now when will they make wearing helmets in a car compulsory?
[/quote']

That is a very good question.  Cycle helmets are far more effective inside a car than out.  Afraid outside the car they probably won't do much to prevent a coma in a bike crash unless you are travelling at under 11kph.  If you want the best protection for your head, get a proper helmet like a motorcyle helmet.  Otherwise the cheaper helmets are as effective as the most expensive ones.  The only benefit of the more expensive helmets is they are lighter and some of the better designed ones have good airflow to keep your head cool.

I still find it curious though that so many of you are so militant about others choice to wear or not wear a helmet despite the extremely limited (if any) benefit it may provide.  Why not get upset about those fools that ride around without a bell on there bikes - just as illegal as not wearing a helmet.

Cyclists with no helmets is "organ donors" and what makes me also da moer in is when the "cool" cyclist do not say or wave hello when you greet them!Angry

those oaks who don't greet and ride without helmets, they must be the "fanatiese fietstwatte" Deon Maas was writing about...LOLLOLLOL  in their own little world..

Cyclists with no helmets is "organ donors" and what makes me also da moer in is when the "cool" cyclist do not say or wave hello when you greet them!Angry

I passed a group of pro's (Barloworld, KM, etc) out doing some base mileage this morning and none of them had helmets on but they all greeted me.

I also passed at least three other fun riders with all the latest bikes and kit, including fancy helmets and despite my greeting them they didn't even acknowledge my exisitence.

I don't like to name names' date=' but he is a pro and should be a better example. Jock Green in his Red Barloworld kit wasn't wearing a helmet on Hendrick Potgieter today.

Example to young people?
[/quote']

I have seen Jock and Robbie Hunter without helmets many a time.

as quoted, great example by these cycling elites...

I passed a group of pro's (Barloworld' date=' KM, etc) out doing some base mileage this morning and none of them had helmets on but they all greeted me.

I also passed at least three other fun riders with all the latest bikes and kit, including fancy helmets and despite my greeting them they didn't even acknowledge my exisitence.
[/quote']

Were you by chance helmetless? Smile

In that case, what happened makes sense! Tongue

For those of you who were at the Alberton ride on Sunday, I see our friend who never wears a helmet got himself a new bike, nice one too, think it would have been around the 30K mark.

Maybe somebody needs to donder him on the head with a helmet so he can feel for himself that the helmet is harder than is head.