Raleigh needs some help from..........Raleigh

rock

perhaps not a contender for Miss Universe but Certainly a podiu contender for Ms Personality. A super gal.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps not a contender for Miss Universe but Certainly a podiu contender for Ms Personality. A super gal.

Hmmm... A commonly used euphamism amongst chauvinist men to describe aesthetically challenged women! Good one! Embarrassed

Nellie: I have sense that you want 2 stir ... nothing wrong in admitting here on the hub that you obsessed with a Raleigh!Tongue

Guest colonel

I dont understandwhy you people hate Raleigh so much? They sell more bikes than anyother brand in the country, they sponsor the best road team and MTB riders.

All their bikes are awsome value for money and most of their franmes are your upmarket expensive frames with Raleigh sprayed on them!

Wierd, really wierd. 

Raleigh bashing seems to be one of the Hub specialities! Seem to remember a thread last week where a hubber refered to a Cervelo bike as 'just a Raleigh with different stickers'.  Apparently this was not a complement...

I guess Raleigh sell budget bikes which could cause the negative vibes, but on the pedigree side, consider this:

1. Raleigh has kicked but in SA over the last year and has propelled both the SA MTB and road champs (not to mention the top teams in both disciplines)

2. Nicole Cooke is World Champ (admittedly on an uglyish UK model) and has moved from Univega (the ugly outfit in picture) to Raleigh, who will sponsor their own team this year.

3. Laurent Fignon won the Giro and (nearly) the Tour de France on a Raleigh. (Yes, young ones, the Tour de France!).  Just a pity his ponytail cost him the victory by 8 seconds!

4. Joop Zoetemelk WON the Tour de France on a Raleigh.

So, how does your bike stack up against that?  Won any SA champs recently?

BTW, if you haven't figured it out yet, I also ride a Raleigh!!

Yes my compliments to Raleigh aswell. Especially since they have bought out bikes in SA which are good value for money have better components on em than the "so called name brands" at affordable prices for the average South African, thereby getting more people on bicycles, creating more scope for future talent, having SA MTB and Road Champs and actually doing a lot more for cycling in South Africa than any other brand. 

Raleigh has actually made cycling an affordable sport for more people in South Africa than any other bike manufacturer. Well done to Raleigh for creating a more healthy South African population and for finally producing an excellent product at a price realistic to the majority of the South African population.Thumbs%20Up

...not to mention the other cult Raleigh bikes: Chopper, Grifter and (ok, not so cool) Bomber.

Would kill to get my hands on an original Chopper!  Anyone got one lying around?

Willehond there was a raleigh chopper for sale at Cajees in boksburg in December...not sure if it is still there...they also had a raleigh dikwiel....one of my employees still rides a raleigh racer I think a 1978 model and it is still going strong, it even still has one of those carriers on the back that we used to put our school books in.

Nellie: I have sense that you want 2 stir ... nothing wrong in admitting here on the hub that you obsessed with a Raleigh!Tongue

LOL!!!Clap Nah, i'm not really a raleigh fan (maybe because i started out doing races with a R450.00 purple Shoprite-special girls' to-school-and-back bike) 

No seriously...i'm mostly just pro-Orbea and pro-Campag, not anti-Raleigh...they're not bad bikesThumbs%20Up

Willehond there was a raleigh chopper for sale at Cajees in boksburg in December...not sure if it is still there....

I saw an original Chopper (ja....i know it's way before my time, but i do actually know what a chopper is and think they're flippin cool!) in a Mosselbay cycle shop about 5 months back, and of course a few of the newer re-makes. BeAuTiFuL!i!Big%20smile

I wonder if there are any site where one could have a look at what the bikes looked like in the days gone by. I can remember the Chopper with the small wheel and the 3 speed stick shift on the crossbar. My girlfriend had one and my first 9 speed was an raleigh Armstrong Challanger dont know if any one can remember them . That was in 1977 Lance was only six years old. Would be good to see some pics of some of the old bikes.

Ps; I ride a rc3000 all I can afford (my ex takes the rest of my pay cheque) but I enjoy cycling like all the rest of you here !!