Coolheat - Supply chain debate

markStockton

What concerns me relates to the pricing structure of locally backed Shimano products.

I wanted 105 shifters and was quoted approx R3800.00 retail' date=' discounted to around R3100 by my LBS.

Chain reaction - R1350.00 + VAT.

Including an Easton Handlebar, Bar Tape,  shipping VAT etc etc. The whole lot cost me R2200.00. 

As for warranty - i can buy a whole extra set and still have some change to spare!  Chain reaction also sells the levers separate.

How are the local shops meant to compete when in some cases its cheaper for them to buy from Chain reaction as well.

[/quote']

In SA the stock are always pretty new so it will always be sold at the latest exchange rate. Overseas they stock the stuff till kingdom comes and 1. the get better bulk prices and 2. maybe sit with old stock.

But I'm all for not buying locally if you can save a few bucks. I say "damn the man, save the empire"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me relates to the pricing structure of locally backed Shimano products.

I wanted 105 shifters and was quoted approx R3800.00 retail' date=' discounted to around R3100 by my LBS.

Including an Easton Handlebar, Bar Tape,  shipping VAT etc etc. The whole lot cost me R2200.00. 

As for warranty - i can buy a whole extra set and still have some change to spare!  Chain reaction also sells the levers separate.

How are the local shops meant to compete when in some cases its cheaper for them to buy from Chain reaction as well.

[/quote']

Exactly, Coolheat are skrewing everyone left, right and center and they don't even have the decency to use lubricant. (or backup the product, the fabled excuse for paying way, way more for the product locally).

I had a very similar experience with a set of Ultegra SL shifters. Bought them for the same price Coolheat supply the LBS.

[/quote']

In SA the stock are always pretty new so it will always be sold at the latest exchange rate. Overseas they stock the stuff till kingdom comes and 1. the get better bulk prices and 2. maybe sit with old stock.

But I'm all for not buying locally if you can save a few bucks. I say "damn the man, save the empire"

I agree but not 100%. Any company bringing components in from overseas will capitilise on the ROE as an opportunity to make more money, because they can now justify it by saying "we had to increase prices because of the exchange rate" but what about the items which were landed prior to exchange rate increases, which were perhaps landed at an ROE of 10 : 1 and now being repriced at 13 : 1.

R 3100.00 for 105 shifters is disgusting for a mass mart product. I've ranted about this before on the Hub. there are far to many middle men in agency type products being sold in this country. Huge margin is made by the manufacturers & then huge margin being made by the agent and huge margin being made again by the LBS. The only reason why they are still in business is because of the passion cyclist have for their sport and will grudgingly spend the money to get out on their bikes.

To add to this the agents don't keep enough backup stock. The LBS doesn't stock at all and most don't know how to spell service and when you ask about a possible warranty claim they think you speaking foreign languges or talking in tongues.

The agents and LBS need to change the way they do business in this country. They still using business parctices from 40 years back, and i bet they would be horrified if they knew how much money is being spent on bikes and components over the internet.

The agents and LBS need to change the way they do business in this country. They still using business parctices from 40 years back' date=' and i bet they would be horrified if they knew how much money is being spent on bikes and components over the internet.
[/quote']

They are trying to change it. It is called price fixing but they will give it some fancy name like "competative service mark-up" or "equal rights increase"

The agents and LBS need to change the way they do business in this country. They still using business parctices from 40 years back' date=' and i bet they would be horrified if they knew how much money is being spent on bikes and components over the internet.
[/quote']

They are trying to change it. It is called price fixing but they will give it some fancy name like "competative service mark-up" or "equal rights increase"

Pity they are working so hard at it and not the SERVICE that goes with it!!

Guys, the good news is you can buy stuff locally and cheaper than CRC from Kiwi.

If that Chinese stuff lives up to its promise and gains acceptance, it's going to put massive pressure on the likes of Coolheat.

It would seem that possibly the proprietor of the bike shop involved

may either have been confused, or possibly less than truthful in this

instance.

My apologies Steven and Coolheat. I will arrange for the derailleur to

get to you via another shop and you can confirm if the you have the

parts or not. Thank you for pushing the subject so that could get to

the bottom of the matter.

Go to Solomons. Achtar is very accomodating - sure he can help you out.

You mean Arshaad ....

Read the whole thread. This was covered...

Go to Solomons. Achtar is very accomodating - sure he can help you out.

You mean Arshaad ....

You mean Arshad Dockrat......

well that is what his email monniker says.

Arshad is in charge of the Solomons Bike Shop at Solomons Gifts at their Pretoria North Branch. He is the guy with the rubber arm when you start squeezing the price......... but be carefull he has a viscious spring in that arm!!!!!!!!

may either have been confused' date=' or possibly less than truthful in this

instance.

[/quote']

Mark, may I ask as to why you have deleted the name of the proprietor and bike shop involved. Surely if they have cocked up so badly that required Coolheat to be dragged through the mud, this guys details should remain.Confused

may either have been confused' date=' or possibly less than truthful in this

instance.

[/quote']

Mark, may I ask as to why you have deleted the name of the proprietor and bike shop involved. Surely if they have cocked up so badly that required Coolheat to be dragged through the mud, this guys details should remain.Confused

I'm hoping that the c0ckup was an innocent mistake, however I suspect otherwise. I may well still out the culprit, just not in anger. What is for sure is they have now fallen off my list of shops to recommend. Maybe I should go find that post and edit it.

Uhmm, you may have 8000 parts, but I suspect they are all odd sized ball bearings after the months of frustration I have had trying to replace the 2008 (XT 760/ 770?) rear free body. The bit with the ratchet in it that the cassete fits on.

The pawls inside broke due to faulty design and after looking on the web, I see I am not alone. There were none in stock in August 2008. They were not even on your stock list according to each of four LBS's I went to.

The previous XT version free body cost R180. I was offered the latest part at R1250 at one shop (Bowden) and then Olympic cycles finally managed to source the part for me in December for ~R500. Last one in country supposedly!

You can kiss Shimano goodbye the next time I source a hub.

stratus5,Please note there is a difference in part numbers for a freehub body model 760/770.After reading your post on the hub i decided to investigate and found we received 25 on the 14/11/08 and the last unit was sold on the 9th Jan.We received 130 FHM760 bodies today and have reordered the 770 model which should be available mid Feb.

Perhaps Bowmans offered you the XTR freewheel body which is very expensive.

Please contact us directly if you do not get 100 % satisfaction from your Lbs in future.

Rhgds steve m

STEVE

BACK TO PRICING CAN YOU CLARIFY WHY WE ARE PAYING SO MUCH IN SA AND THAT IT IS OFTEN CHEAPER TO BYPASS THE LOCAL AGENCY AND BUY OVER SEAS.

I AM SURE THE AVERAGE PERSON WOULD NOT HAVE AN ISSUE OVER A FEW RAND YET IS SEEMS THAT IT IS MORE OND MORE WORTHWHILE TO HAVE THE DELAYS, SHIPPING COSTS ETC ETC BECAUSE THERE IS SUCH A PRICE SAVING TO BE MADE OVERSEAS.