Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

I have just rode my commute on the cycle lane from town to Paarden Eiland and was passed by to police vehicles - good to see...

Patrolling does not treat the cause of the disease, it just make the symptoms better with a bit of feel good ointment.

What is needed is for the cops to CATCH the perpetrators. But they cannot or will not do anything proactive. No sting, no search and find. No enforcing of laws re. vagrancy, no clearing out of the whole community of dodgy characters who illegally live along that stretch of the cycle path. Until THAT problem is solved, robberies will continue and escalate until someone gets killed! It is just a matter of time!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Came in on FW De Klerk at 5am for the last couple of mornings and it is frightening with cars going at 80-100kmh in the wet especially under the Lower Church st bridge where the road narrows and you have to hug the curb,so I have been taking the off ramp and then coming down the on ramp onto FW De Klerk again.

F....these muggers.Yesterday afternoon there were 4 guys walking under the N1 bridge ,so I hopped onto the buslane to get more space.The more riders on the buslane the more the bus drivers will get p off

Always use the Cycle Path.  I cannot understand The City's lack of enthusiasm to maintain this very expensive investment to the point where it gets used optimally.

Surely it cannot be that big a challenge.  There is just no will to sort this out at the root, and that is my opinion. i have tweeted so many times to all the relevant stakeholders.  Given up on that, as they do not even respond.

The City needs to be sued by those that got robbed, because it is not that they are not aware of the situation.  It is just being ignored, and every now and again they just put a cheap plaster on it.

My choice every day is to (1) ride the bike path and risk to get mugged, or (2) ride the N1 and risk to get killed.  So for now I am going with (1).

It is a shame that The City who claims to be working for us, puts its citizens in front of such a choice day in and day out.   

I only ride on the bus lane due to my safety concerns.  Always on the look out for the buses and give them a wide berth where possible.  

I wonder if this isint the way to go - if we all start riding in the bus lane, maybe the citi council will take note?

I don't commute in that direction fortunately but I always used to take the cycle path to old church street when returning from my peninsula rides until the most recent spate of muggings. For a spell I would ride back via the grand parade but that is super dangerous in terms of cars and so now I break the law and sprint the little section of the N1 to the Old Church street off ramp unless I'm on my gravel bike in which case I use the little dirt path alongside.

Less than ideal and I don't like breaking the law but that cycle path just started feeling really dangerous.

I have a serious dose of crime fatigue - palpable threat hovers over our streets all of the time - or perhaps it's just my tired eyes.

I don't commute in that direction fortunately but I always used to take the cycle path to old church street when returning from my peninsula rides until the most recent spate of muggings. For a spell I would ride back via the grand parade but that is super dangerous in terms of cars and so now I break the law and sprint the little section of the N1 to the Old Church street off ramp unless I'm on my gravel bike in which case I use the little dirt path alongside.

Less than ideal and I don't like breaking the law but that cycle path just started feeling really dangerous.

I have a serious dose of crime fatigue - palpable threat hovers over our streets all of the time - or perhaps it's just my tired eyes.

Which section ... if it is the part of the N1 I am thinking of, then this is not formally a National Road yet, this only become illegal after the Koeberg interchange if I recall correctly.

Just when you think it is safe in a certain area then the paw paw hits the fan.

2 guys driving from Melkbos to Blaauwberg 16/6 21h00 stop at Kelpbaai for the one to relieve himself. Gets shot in the leg and perp runs to the beach.the cycle path is right there and cyclists on it at all hours

Be careful out there

Just had a near miss mugging over the bridge at WoodStock on the Mi-Citi cycle route.

Happened around 4:45am today

Be aware out there. One guy tried to ambush me with a knife in his hand coming down the hill.

I will have to find another route in the early morning as I ride solo.

I'm considering taking a detour through the harbour into town.

Does anyone know how I can get a permit to transit through the harbour?

Just had a near miss mugging over the bridge at WoodStock on the Mi-Citi cycle route.

Be aware out there. One guy tried to ambush me with a knife in his hand coming down the hill.

Edit: replied to the wrong post.

this sucks, and unfortunately why I also dont take that route. Rather take your chances with the n1, even if it is just the bit from marine to lower church. But just get your sprint on for that short part too because they live right down that bank and it is a matter of time before they knock someone off their bike there too...the chances of someone stopping there is minimal and these idiots will realise it soon enough.

even the area you pass under lower church on the n1 is getting a bit iffy imo.

Regarding the harbour. i've read on here a few times that the port authorities are a bit apprehensive letting us through there as they see you as a liability...but some manage to lie their way in lol. Maybe we should lobby for it from council if they cant get their **** together on the cycling paths...

Edited by morneS555

Just when you think it is safe in a certain area then the paw paw hits the fan.

2 guys driving from Melkbos to Blaauwberg 16/6 21h00 stop at Kelpbaai for the one to relieve himself. Gets shot in the leg and perp runs to the beach.the cycle path is right there and cyclists on it at all hours

Be careful out there

that whole area gets monitored for abalone poaching during some evenings. Maybe it was a bad case of wrong place wrong time and they were up to no good on the beach when these guys stumbled onto them.

You can apply for a permit. They will first issue you a temporary permit for a few months, thereafter they will issue you a proper swipe permit with your photo on it. All you need is a "company letterhead" stating your business/reason in port and a police certified copy of your ID. Just say on your letter that you in transport/containers and need access to CTCT, CTMPT and FPT terminals. Need to take it to the NPA House in Port.(Tower building across from to the V&A)

You can apply for a permit. They will first issue you a temporary permit for a few months, thereafter they will issue you a proper swipe permit with your photo on it. All you need is a "company letterhead" stating your business/reason in port and a police certified copy of your ID. Just say on your letter that you in transport/containers and need access to CTCT, CTMPT and FPT terminals. Need to take it to the NPA House in Port.(Tower building across from to the V&A)

Thanks Rusty, going to give that a try. I only need it for a few months anyhow as I'm relocating back to Zim in the bush where I don't have to deal with this sort of callousness.

Do you have the exact location for the NPA house?

Thanks Rusty, going to give that a try. I only need it for a few months anyhow as I'm relocating back to Zim in the bush where I don't have to deal with this sort of callousness.

It's right at the end of S Arm road Table Bay Harbour. Big tower building with port control on the top of building. Next to Shimmy Beach Club.

its the tower there by Shimmy beach club

P O Box 4245, Cape Town, 8001 

Transnet National Ports Authority House  Port of Cape Town 8001  South Africa

Tel: 0860 109 330  Fax: +27 21 449 2665

post-64325-0-73504200-1561016550_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

its the tower there by Shimmy beach club

P O Box 4245, Cape Town, 8001 

Transnet National Ports Authority House  Port of Cape Town 8001  South Africa

Tel: 0860 109 330  Fax: +27 21 449 2665

customercare.tnpa@transnet.net

Thanks for that