Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Thanks for the advice.

What's the issue with Mamre/Atlantis?

yea as mentioned you'llprobably be fine all the way from Darling to melkbos and then trough to milnerton. from milnerton into town you'd want to avoid the cycle lane that goes trough paarden island and woodstock if you are alone. most peeps just ride on the 'n1' there as it is not a highway yet. still need to be careful though. above advice would make riding through the cycle lanes all the way to waterfront fine. they target lone cyclists mostly. Melkbos to milnerton is defo NOT dodge so dont stress about that part.

edit:Also...you'll be riding to via Yzerfontein and then R27/Marine drive along the coast. Don't be silly and shortcut via Mamre/Atlantis lol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice.

What's the issue with Mamre/Atlantis?

its an industrial town/area.

i'll let you you decide what that means  :whistling:  :wacko:

post-64325-0-81167200-1565692734_thumb.jpg

I'll also refer to these posts on page 45...

Can anyone comment on the safety of this part that goes through Atlantis on Sunday mornings?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

They have a saying in that part. It goes like this;

"Etlêntis maak djou flênters"

My wife works in Neil Hare road. She vouches for the same.

Tokai is the only place with consistent patrols/monitoring.

And that is only because a couple of complete raving lunatics are prepared to put the time and effort in.

You referring to that Marko35s guy? :ph34r:

Got ya!

Need to do a bit more planning for alternatives. Fortunately please of time for that...

I once cycled from Milnerton to Langebaan along the R27 and felt reasonably safe. Most of the road has a pretty wide shoulder beyond the yellow line.

Your other alternative is to cycle towards Malmesbury and come in via the R302 into Durbanville. But this route would be considerably longer.

R27 is boring and in Dec the SE wind is gonna pump.Also lots of traffic.Stay on Mamre rd and then down to Melkbos or via Phillidelfia -Malanshoogte (Always good in 40 Degrees C).Start out early  

R27 is boring and in Dec the SE wind is gonna pump.Also lots of traffic.Stay on Mamre rd and then down to Melkbos or via Phillidelfia -Malanshoogte (Always good in 40 Degrees C).Start out early  

Ta muchly. More likely in Apr/May next year.

I once cycled from Milnerton to Langebaan along the R27 and felt reasonably safe. Most of the road has a pretty wide shoulder beyond the yellow line.

Your other alternative is to cycle towards Malmesbury and come in via the R302 into Durbanville. But this route would be considerably longer.

Ta muchly. After 1600 km, I may be looking to just get the job done, and get to a beer!

Planning on going tomorrow from sea point to houtbay over chappies and then on to Noordhoek main road and then Glencairn express way into Fishhoek. Reverse trip home.

I am from jhb so no idea how safe it is on the noordhoek to fishhoek stretch and hope that that is out of Ocean view limits.

A good idea?

That is aboit as safe as it gets. Roadworks in noordhoek nest negotiated with care. I generally just own the lane when construction narrowsnit to discourage people from teying to squeeze past. A bikejack can happen anywhere but I ride that route often.

Planning on going tomorrow from sea point to houtbay over chappies and then on to Noordhoek main road and then Glencairn express way into Fishhoek. Reverse trip home.

I am from jhb so no idea how safe it is on the noordhoek to fishhoek stretch and hope that that is out of Ocean view limits.

A good idea?

A good idea?

If you want to extend it from Fish Hoek to Simonstown and down to Cape Point, that is also considered a safe area. Then turn around and come back the same way. Lekke long one, and beautiful.

If you want to extend it from Fish Hoek to Simonstown and down to Cape Point, that is also considered a safe area. Then turn around and come back the same way. Lekke long one, and beautiful.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looking forward to nice day out now that the weather has taken a turn for the better.

On my daily commute section between Town - Paarden Eiland on the bus lane, I passed 7 police cars strategy placed.  Good to see. Also feels like a few more cyclists using this route again.