Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

So apparently this happened just on the other side of the N7 bridge on Plattekloof Road. 

My husband just drove past a commuter who was relieved of his bicycle on the plattekloof rd bridge over the N7. Appears to be a hot spot at the moment.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband just drove past a commuter who was relieved of his bicycle on the plattekloof rd bridge over the N7. Appears to be a hot spot at the moment.

Ag FFS  :thumbdown:  :devil:

That road is full of traffic this time of day  :cursing:

There goes my training route from home.

got any more info? and specifically which bridge?

i commute everyday over the N7 using bosmansdam road

double post

Edited by samson99

Think you're "safe". That sound like the refinery side where this happened

Agreed. This sounds like the same place as last week's episode.

Just after Makro on Plattekloof Rd/N7 bridge near the street vendors selling their furniture.

What I really don't get though is how busy this road is around 8h00 with traffic

Just after Makro on Plattekloof Rd/N7 bridge near the street vendors selling their furniture.

What I really don't get though is how busy this road is around 8h00 with traffic

Yes, lots of cars. I know there are many guys that commute from durbanville via that route.

But these guys are brazen and just don't give too fks

Was this on a weekend?

Red Hill has become a no-go area for solo riders and small groups.

We went went up and over from the Simontown side, but I dropped near the top and rode the flatter section from the viewpoint to the top of the climb further along on my own. 3 guys walking towards me spread out on the road and then pretended to hitch hike when a car came past. That didn't fill me with happy feelings as I am pretty sure the car saved my day.

Thanks. Although i go past/over the N7 at about 06:30 and this morning it was raining :) 

It's a false sense of security when there are lots of cars around, most people are distracted or can't/won't help even if they notice you being mugged. I was once held at knife point in traffic whilst stopped at a red robot, surround by vehicles, busy time of the day and no one helped, the guys took their time rifling through my stuff and then sauntered off.

Even if a decent person notices you are in trouble, what can they do other than hoot and shout, very few people are correctly trained or armed to deal with what potentially be a very dangeeous criminal.

Edited by Skylark

It's a false sense of security when there lots of cars around, most people are distracted or can't/won't help even if they notice you being mugged. I was once held at knife point in traffic whilst stopped at a red robot, surround by vehicles, busy time of the day and no one helped, the guys took their time rifling through my stuff and then sauntered off.

Even if a decent person notices you are in trouble, what can they do other than hoot and shout, very few people are correctly trained or armed to deal with what potentially be a very dangeeous criminal.

Sadly I realise this is exactly the state of affairs.

I'm also fully aware that if I do come across such a situation that I will be faced with 2 options... Keep my distance and be safe or if I decide to help, I might just end up murdering the perp in a fit of built up rage.

And with that comes a whole sequence of events I'd rather never want to experience

It was on the bridge over the N7 next to the refinery. It looked as though the guys jumped the barrier and ran down the embankment to the N7 with the bike. Some cars had stopped but it would only have been possible to chase on foot. I suspect they choose the time of day when people are likely to cycle past.

I've been on the receiving end of 2 attacks and the only advice I can give is if you see a pedestrian on your side of the road, regardless of how unthreatening they look, haul out the biggest can of pepper spray and point it at them while you ride past.

Sadly I realise this is exactly the state of affairs.

I'm also fully aware that if I do come across such a situation that I will be faced with 2 options... Keep my distance and be safe or if I decide to help, I might just end up murdering the perp in a fit of built up rage.

And with that comes a whole sequence of events I'd rather never want to experience

This is why most people do not get involved, should you do something to help the person out you might even be charged with assault. If you have a firearm and you shoot the perp, charged with attempted murder. Chances are that you would not be found guilty, but still, no one wants that stress on themselves. 

Turns out I know the guy who was robbed of his bike today on the plattekloof bridge. But thankfully he got his bike back as someone chased after the perps. Waiting for him to reply. Will then give more details

• 4 weeks later...