Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peterjohn,

I ride the spruit all the time, from Alberts Farm, Emmarentia, and up to Conrad - never witnessed any trouble, or been a victim of it. I carry pepper spray as the dogs, not criminals, are the issue! For some reason the signs all around that have "dogs on leashes only" emblazoned on them are not visible by dog owners smiley2.gif. My wife and I have had some close calls. One day when I unleash a can of SWAT on a dog right in front of its owner its going to stir up one hell of a ruckus!Somehow dog owners insist that "killer", their pet rottweiler or german shepherd was acting most "peculiarly" and "out of character" when they tried to rip you off your bike presumably to lick you to death out of affection......

Seriously though, one one Saturday morning, while out riding in a group of 4, a lady had been murdered between 6 and 7am near the Riverside Spar in Bryanston area, and was left about 2-3 metres from the path. The book I have on mtb trails in SA says about the spruit that cyclists have been consistently and violently attacked on the spruit since the early 90's. The authors recommend riding in groups more than 2 at all times (Herman and Sussanah Mills were the authors.

So its luck of the draw bud. Make sure you can get a rabies or tetanus shot closeby though.... smiley36.gif
Orvor2009-09-04 01:47:45

• 1 month later...

hi guys, just moved up to jhb from kzn, wondering how safe it would be riding alone at the mtn cycle park? live just around the corner so nice and close.

Thanks

Guest Agteros

Inside it is fine. Fenced off, controlled access. Your biggest danger will be yourself smiley2.gif

H311 even outside it is fine. Jo'burg is not all that bad and evil as what people think it is

whe i go to the bikepark, i usually cycle there (except on tuesday nights), never had an incident or felt unsafe.

• 1 month later...

.., i am new here.. i love biking a lot as much as i love the nature... all of the bikers should have a compassion towards the environment..

..' date=' i am new here.. i love biking a lot as much as i love the nature... all of the bikers should have a compassion towards the environment.. [/quote']

Welcome. Wrong thread to post this. We all love the environment except those that drop gel sachets.

How is this a danger area?

• 3 months later...

A late post to this thread: 

Modderfontein Road is a great route East out of Jhb with a wide shoulder for some solid spinning. 

The problem is that running West to East before sunrise is dangerous because labourers riding their bicycles to work, ride on the shoulder in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic. 

Ride with a light on and keep your eyes open, it can be unnerving.

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently moved from the america, I am wondering whether there are any precautions I should take while riding around the Randpark Ridge area on a mtb.  I haven't been here long, and haven't been on any rides here so I am a little ignorant in this area.  For the most part I'm really only going to be riding on the side of the street in the grass, dirt or sidewalk. 

In particular, should I worry about someone trying to hijack my bike or anything else of that nature?  And is it a good idea to carry some form of self defense? 

Welcome to South Africa Warumund. Same rules everywhere in our beautiful country: stay clear of open fields, avoid late nights and early mornings on your own and ....cycle very fast so no one can catch you(joking). Dont cycle with expensive/"wanted" items.

Think at the moment your greatest threat are the cars... so wise up in that area too. Never assume they see you or will give you right of way... even if your on the shoulders, grass, sidewalk. I run on the sidewalks/grass in Randpark Ridge/Boskruin and can confirm cars as my biggest threat.

Nice places to for mtb in the area are: Northern Farms (Fourways, northernfarm.co.za), Teakplace (teaksports.co.za), Hennopsriver, Van Gaalen Cheese Farm, Kloofzight, Groenkloof (Pretoria, but nice technical rides with giraffe & zebra)...and many many more when you google it. Best you hook up with some mtb'ers and schedule joint rides/drives to the venues.

We have some of the prettiest and best mtb spots in the world.

oh and another one... most important one... make sure you are visible!

Reflectives, tail lights... all of it.

I think the Bike park is fine, used it over the last year and never had an incident or know of anyone that has. Have fallen a few times!!!!