Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

There have been about 5 jacking in Jozi south in the past few weeks, the latest one:

""I'm the guy that got jacked this AM. On the track parallel to the R59 highway on my way back home. Was into my last 10km. 3 guys with a knife, stick and beer bottle jumped me. Tried to stab me and I used my viper as a real race weapon. Tried fighting them off but eventually had to give them my bike. They searched me and took my iPhone, my kit and spare tube. Then told me to walk away from them. Which I did. Once I was a safe distance from them I ran onto the highway and signalled some cars. I thought no one would stop but about 5 cars stopped to assist me.within about 4 mins my bike had been recovered and the real heroes here are the people that stopped to help me. They ran into the veld to confront the perpetrators and retrieved my bike. One of the guys who stopped has a reservist friend, who arrived about 5 mins later and apprehended one of the suspects. We were then tracking them via the find my iphone app. Lost my phone - but faith in humanity restored. To the guy in the Springbok shirt, the black couple, and to Linda and Jonathan I'd like to send my heartfelt thanks. There were about 7 or 8 selfless people who risked their own safety to help me. Those type of people make this country work. I wish I'd gotten all their names and numbers so that I could thank them directly."""

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

There have been about 5 jacking in Jozi south in the past few weeks, the latest one:

""I'm the guy that got jacked this AM. On the track parallel to the R59 highway on my way back home. Was into my last 10km. 3 guys with a knife, stick and beer bottle jumped me. Tried to stab me and I used my viper as a real race weapon. Tried fighting them off but eventually had to give them my bike. They searched me and took my iPhone, my kit and spare tube. Then told me to walk away from them. Which I did. Once I was a safe distance from them I ran onto the highway and signalled some cars. I thought no one would stop but about 5 cars stopped to assist me.within about 4 mins my bike had been recovered and the real heroes here are the people that stopped to help me. They ran into the veld to confront the perpetrators and retrieved my bike. One of the guys who stopped has a reservist friend, who arrived about 5 mins later and apprehended one of the suspects. We were then tracking them via the find my iphone app. Lost my phone - but faith in humanity restored. To the guy in the Springbok shirt, the black couple, and to Linda and Jonathan I'd like to send my heartfelt thanks. There were about 7 or 8 selfless people who risked their own safety to help me. Those type of people make this country work. I wish I'd gotten all their names and numbers so that I could thank them directly."""

This was a Hubber. I recall a thread about his horrid incident.

• 4 months later...

Sadly another bike jacking in the south, this time at the Vlei bike park @ Rietvlei zoo:

A caution to users of the walking and cycle trails at Rietvlei not to carry any valuables with them and to be cautious and aware of their surroundings at all times.

On Friday afternoon at approximately 15h00 i was cycling on the green route by rietvlei zoo farm when i was confronted by 4 brazen males (two from the front and two from the back on a particularly narrow part of the trail) who demanded my vaulables and bike. Fortunately all remained calm and the incident did not become violent .Unfortunately the boundary on the side of the trail is unsecured and whatever fencing that was installed has disintegrated and not been maintained. The perperpetrators are obviously knowledgeable about the property, routes and what potential victims and valuables are to be had.

While security personnel are present on the site, they are not present on the trails and their speed of response on being alerted leaves a lot to be desired. While security did take me on a tour of the back of the property by Liefde en Vrede, they did not appear to be very observant as they were eating while driving. There was no sense of urgency or interest in finding and detaining the perpetrators.

Despite hearing stories to the contrary, the cycle shop claimed that there had been no other incidents in the last two years .

Up to now i have not heard a word from management at Rietvlei!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was riding up Ballyclare Road in Riverclub (towards the Total filling station) on Saturday morning at 06h30 when I was accosted by a man with a brick in an attempt to rob me of my bike. He had parked his early 1990's silver  Honda Ballade (similar to the picture attached but in tatty condition) on the side of the road (at the intersection with Sycamore Street) with the boot open. Fortunately I had been watching him carefully and I wheeled my bike around. When I was about 40m away from him I turned to face him again. We were engaging in a kind of Mexican stand off when a motorist kindly stopped. The thug then closed the boot of his car and sped off. He was black with a dark complexion, in his late 20's or early 30's, roughly 1.80 m and was wearing an unbuttoned shirt with a T-shirt underneath and jeans. Please keep an eye open for his car.

post-42494-0-50025000-1454916847_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just been told by a riding mate that his friends were bike jacked at gun point near stern city today. I have no further info (haven't asked any questions).

• 2 months later...

Incident in Honeydew/Ruimsig

Went out on one of my usual routes this morning and coming down Glover Rd in Honeydew/Ruimsig saw two youngsters some distance off on the left, they reacted when they saw me, one reaching into a back pack on the other's back and pulling out 1.5m of heavy chain. Started swinging it around like a medieval weapon walking into road to try and hit me.  Managed to accelerate under chain and past him.  Lots of commuters about 200m further down the road, they shouted, I slammed on anchors and turned once past and the two gapped it into empty veld.  Seemed to be late teens, wearing hoodies covering their faces largely, could easily have gone badly for me, was just lucky.  If I had noticed them a bit later would probably have got me off the bike and crashed at high speed.

Certainly changed my base training into sprint intervals  :mellow:

Bricks, sticks or a piece of chain - all these guys need to steal (or try and steal) your bike.

:-(

Bricks, sticks or a piece of chain - all these guys need to steal (or try and steal) your bike.

:-(

Yup ....... and it happens FAST

Yup ....... and it happens FAST

Maybe everyone should take a "Hobbs" with them on a ride?

• 4 months later...