East Rand danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although officialy Joburg, the Sizwe Hospital area is used by lots of East Randers (Edenvale) riders.....

The area of Sizwe Hospital. That piece of open veld between Linksfield Rd and Modderfontein.

Be very careful down in the bushes near the Sydenham side and in the secttion on the Modderfontein side of the river near that funny tunnel under the highway.
idrive2009-02-09 08:01:22

• 1 month later...

This is also under the R21 Engen thread ......

The farmer on the piece of ground near the Dunblane Equestrian Estate on Marrister rd has dug trenches across all the dirt roads.

This is the area on the way out to Bapsfontein from the Bredell Serengeti area.

I've also heard tracks in the area have been booby trapped with spikes buried in the sand. These are evidently the same type of spikes that are usually put on top of walls to stop peaple climbing over.

It appears that irresponsible QUAD riders are to blame for this farmer's latest bout of anger.

Although officialy Joburg' date=' the Sizwe Hospital area is used by lots of East Randers (Edenvale) riders.....

The area of Sizwe Hospital. That piece of open veld between Linksfield Rd and Modderfontein.

Be very careful down in the bushes near the Sydenham side and in the secttion on the Modderfontein side of the river near that funny tunnel under the highway.
[/quote']

Do you know of any incidents that have happened here,if so some details please.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more riders were hi-jacked behind the R21 Engen 1-Stop this past Saturday. I bike recovered and one arrest made.

• 1 month later...

It seems there was another armed attack on cyclists behind the R21 on Sat..... 'fraid I don't have more details.

• 4 months later...

Hi.

I am new to cycling and want to start going out in the Kempton Park area on weekends , any ideas on places to avoid and any routes you would suggest ...thanks .

Hi.

I am new to cycling and want to start going out in the Kempton Park area on weekends ' date=' any ideas on places to avoid and any routes you would suggest ...thanks .
[/quote']

Road or MTB?
Malkie2009-09-17 04:59:47

Finish Line Cycles in Kemptune Pork have organised rides for road and mtb .... I only do MTB

I now of 2 youngsters who got hijacked somewhere near Denel on Atlas rd about a month agoidrive2009-09-17 07:19:50

count me lucky I have ridded the east rand flat , including modderfontien all the off road out to Kyalami ,

The dumps in Benoni ,day and Night rides,

Out to serengeti all the way to Jan Smuts house

I ride 3-4 times a week at 3:45am on the road

And I have had no Incidents,

I try and keep an eye out, and never ride off road alone, we always have peperspray, I have a neck knive as well as a .40 Glock

o my advise is always ridein groups , and have a plan amongst the people in the group if anything happens what are you all going to do , ALWAYS RIDE PREPEARED

MY 2 C WORTH

• 3 years later...

Highjacking East rand Date :24/12/2012

Where: Opposite of Engen garage on R21(Serengeti side dirt road)

Two guys from Finish line taken by 6 guys armed with knifes.

Do not have all details trying to get all fact and will be adding on.

I ride all the time to Irene and back and never had problem but like

svm3000 says be prepared for baddies.

Safe riding :)

Highjacking East rand Date :24/12/2012

Where: Opposite of Engen garage on R21(Serengeti side dirt road)

Two guys from Finish line taken by 6 guys armed with knifes.

Do not have all details trying to get all fact and will be adding on.

I ride all the time to Irene and back and never had problem but like

svm3000 says be prepared for baddies.

Safe riding smile.png

Not quite 24/12 yet wink.png . Incident took place 24/11

Details i have are the guys were cycling to Irene when they were attacked. Took their bikes, wallets cellphone etc. Another group of MTB saw them and gave chase where the thugs dropped the bikes and scattered in all directions.

considering tumbleweed lives there, the whole place is dangerous. In the past werewolves were known to habg around the minedumps.....

Not quite 24/12 yet wink.png . Incident took place 24/11 ooops fast finger eek.gif

Details i have are the guys were cycling to Irene when they were attacked. Took their bikes, wallets cellphone etc. Another group of MTB saw them and gave chase where the thugs dropped the bikes and scattered in all directions.