East Rand danger areas

Evan Andreou

Gentleman attacked and stabbed 9am Tuesday 14th. 2 Suspects attacked him in the tree line, stabbed in the chest. Tied him up and robbed of bike, phone etc.

The victim has been medically treaded and is back home.

Jeez not cool. Hope he heals up quickly.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is this track?

If its the track I am thinking of its not far from FLC. I don't know the road names but you head down away from kempton towards pomana side and there is an engen? garage. You turn right and its just there.

I ride out there . Tell us what happened . 

did not happen to me, was passed on the info on the incident..

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys

Living on the East Rand(Benoni), I'm wanting to know if there are any more "hot spots" that we should watch out for , i have read the above comments but was wondering if there or more recent updated areas

Thanks 

• 5 years later...

Unfortunately the below happened at Riverfields MTB park in Kempton Park this morning.
I ride here frequently, but will unfortunately think twice from now on.

Only 'safe' option these days are to go to bike park, also a risk, but a bit less probably than the road or public areas like Riverfields.

image.png.c61f41b24a97cbdc21af41f963b51eca.png

Technically, Alberton is part of the East Rand, but in the south. Lots (feels like, but I'm not counting) of incidents scattered in our area. @Cyclewizz mentioned to me on WhatsApp that it seems to be more MTB than road bikes being targeted. So it's not safe anywhere, it seems.

Slightly OT
Some people say why join a club:
1. larger numbers on a ride. When last was a large group held at gunpoint (hope it never happens).
2. there's always someone to ride with. No need to ride by one's self, and it you want the loneliness, then simply ride at the back of the group.

If internal politics is a concern, well, there's no point stressing about something you can't control. If you can control it, then do something.

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Technically, Alberton is part of the East Rand, but in the south. Lots (feels like, but I'm not counting) of incidents scattered in our area. @Cyclewizz mentioned to me on WhatsApp that it seems to be more MTB than road bikes being targeted. So it's not safe anywhere, it seems.

Slightly OT
Some people say why join a club:
1. larger numbers on a ride. When last was a large group held at gunpoint (hope it never happens).
2. there's always someone to ride with. No need to ride by one's self, and it you want the loneliness, then simply ride at the back of the group.

If internal politics is a concern, well, there's no point stressing about something you can't control. If you can control it, then do something.

yes, I'm again seriously considering riding with a club due to the increase in incidents lately.

There is a certain hub member that keeps enticing me join the morning rides, but they happen a full hour earlier than when I normally ride in the mornings, so its taking some serious thinking.

I would have joined them this morning, but it being my wifes birthday I though it best to not wake her early today.

1 hour ago, Dup08 said:

Unfortunately the below happened at Riverfields MTB park in Kempton Park this morning.

Only 'safe' option these days are to go to bike park, also a risk, but a bit less probably than the road or public areas like Riverfields.

Just saw this on our crime group. I also ride there, sigh guess it's on the indoor trainer or bike parks from now on.

Glad the rider is safe and not harmed.

So heres the thing. Less riders riding there make those riding easier targets as there are fewer people around.

on the other hand, less people riding means fewer opportunities and hopefully these guys move on

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I would have joined them this morning, but it being my wifes birthday I though it best to not wake her early today.

Clever man .... :P

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

yes, I'm again seriously considering riding with a club due to the increase in incidents lately.

There is a certain hub member that keeps enticing me join the morning rides, but they happen a full hour earlier than when I normally ride in the mornings, so its taking some serious thinking.

… give that man a Bells! 🤭

18 hours ago, Dup08 said:

That's Where I was Also Attacked in 2017 Riverfields.

Never Been Back There since then.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:47 PM, The Ouzo said:

I will extend the invite every week