About to spend about R70K, advice please!!!

Becks06

What should I spend it on?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What should I spend it on?

• Trek Madone
    • Spesialized
    • Giant
    • Cervelo
    • Other

and if he had 800k to buy his first car would you rather recommend a CitiGolf because he isn't a racing driver and so shouldn't buy an M3.

Let's get real here and regrettably, I know I will offend some, but no-one on the hub that I have communicated with is actually good enough to ride a 70k bike.

Most of us ride better bikes than our true ability because:

1) We can

2) It makes us feel good

3) we enjoy the finer things (of course how fine is relevative to your wallett as well).

I am nowhere near even an adequate rider and most, if they see me, will probably think I am not even that but ... who cares. I enjoy the experience or riding my BMC and that's fine with me.

I don't care how good anyone is. If you enjoy the experience and can afford it (even if it is purely subjective JB) - then you have spent wisely and..

If you don't enjoy it then even a used R2000 bike is too expensive.

P.S. please send flames and insults to www.iamaposer.com Big%20smile 
racman2009-03-19 09:46:04

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, racman, I agree. I think the point is that maybe the OP should spend less till he finds out if he enjoys riding. Or is everyone here waiting for a post of this 2 month old bike as good as new bought it for 70k, looking for 40k or best offer?

What 2 bikes are you selling to +/- R25000 a pop 2nd hand and what is wrong with them?

They have to be semi decentConfused

Originally posted by JulesIt might be a flippin nice bike' date=' but what the hell kind of name is Carbon Knowledge Team? It's as though a bunch of Taiwanese factory workers thought it up.There's absolutely nothing wrong with this bike! Most well known bikes

are made in Taiwan anyway but designed some where else. Its the same

for this one it was designed in Germany and a German squad is currently

riding them. The squad was early in the year in SA riding with Neotel

and i spoke to one of them and acording to him the CKT368 is one the

finest bikes he has ridein in a long time. [/quote']

Hey FiNRiSS,

I'm not for a second suggesting there is anything wrong with the bike.

I own seven bikes and at least five of them were made in Taiwan.

I'm just saying the name doesn't evoke much cycling passion, at least in me anyway.

I am not sure about you hubbers but if I was going to spend 70k it would be as follows:

Titanium (not this plastic nonsense)

CUSTOM MADE JUST FOR YOU!!!

And you follow those points then you pretty much are set... All the other bits and pieces will just fall into place?

How uncool you riding down the road with 70k under those larny shorts you also bought and some dude rides past you....on the same bike in the same colour.... "I just should have had a custom made...." is what I would be thinking

I would consider the new LOOK frames with Chorus [i dont think you gain much by paying the extra money for Record] or SRAM Red - add to that ZIPP 404 and you have a great racing machine.

Unfortunately 70k wont get you the top end when buying frame, wheels and group set.

Good luck and enjoy your shopping

ignore everything you heard....buy a bianchi 928 with super record,fizik seat,mavic cosmics and um...oh ya green handle bar tape and off u go....

have fun

This bike brand new R49 999 Cashhttp://www.schwinnbike.com/SchwinnFiles/ProductImages/478_311_S9PAR9_332_1.jpg 

From my very limited personal experience, don't touch the Pinarello - their warranties are useless and their service is shocking (both in SA and from their HO)... Loved my Specialized since I got it, but as I say I haven't ridden much to compare it to. That Madone that's for sale is one of the best looking bikes I've seen tho...

What a joy! Spending R70k on a bike & goodies! Nice Thumbs%20Up

First you have to decide what you want:

1. A frame ridden by the top pro teams? Most are fairly good. Some are better than others, depending on what you are looking for. Some are very expensive, but not engineered to the same standard as  their competition.

2. Perhaps a boutique brand/something exotic that few people ride? Some options here: Storck, Parlee 

3. Something Italian - Colnago, Pinarello, Bianchi, De Rosa.

4. Unusual (if you take what's on shop floors) frame material: titanium or steel. Serotta, Linskey, Pegoretti.

A lot will depend on your priorities: light, stiff or comfortable?

Wheels: Clincher or tubbie?

Gruppo: New DuraAce, Red or Record?  The new DuraAce is getting mixed reviews. Red is fantastic, except for the crank. People are still getting used to the new look of the Campy shifters.

If I had to spend R70k today, my choise would be:

Gruppo: Red

Hbar: Zipp SLC2

Crank: Zipp VumaQuad, unless I wanted to fit a crank based power meter.

Stem: Something high end aluminium: FSA/Easton/3T. If I had spare cash, I would get a Zipp stem too.

Wheels: Tubbies: Zipp808 or  Clinchers: Fulcrum Racing 0's

Frame: Colnago ExtremePower from maestro-uk.com. They can still get all of the 08 colours, I don't like the 09 colours.

Edit: needs a pic of my fav colour:

http://www.theoldbikeshop.com/images/Colnago/extreme%20power/Extreme-Power_ST02.jpg 
Christie2009-03-19 12:14:37