Road vs Mtb

fandacious

I ride quite a bit more road than MTB. i'd say the ratio is around 5:1 (road:mtb)

And yet, I have way more injuries from mtb than road riding.

Yes cars can be dangerous, but i reckon MTB is WAY more dangerous and more likely to get you hurt.

Now, I dont mean crusing at 20km/h down a wide gravel road. I mean blasting through single track, jumps, drop offs etc.

If you're going to play it safe and ride around slowly, MTB is never going to be any fun.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colonel

When did you start riding again to get your ratios???

I ride quite a bit more road than MTB. i'd say the ratio is around 5:1 (road:mtb)

And yet' date=' I have way more injuries from mtb than road riding.

Yes cars can be dangerous, but i reckon MTB is WAY more dangerous and more likely to get you hurt.

Now, I dont mean crusing at 20km/h down a wide gravel road. I mean blasting through single track, jumps, drop offs etc.

If you're going to play it safe and ride around slowly, MTB is never going to be any fun.
[/quote']

Yes, but that is what mountain biking is all about.

Drawing blood is the sign of a good ride.

If you don't draw blood you are not trying hard enough.Smile

Mountain Biking Rules OK.Wink

jip, I think so as well. But then again, my skills are very limited and i am heavy so I cant help going downhill fast. crashes are inevitable.

So you say we are trying it again coming sunday :-)

fand, Mtb is safer than road, simply because road the danger/riskd are determined by a third party, ie the motorist.  Also in road racing a sprint or a fast tricky decent can become deadly, not because you are unskilled, but rather because someone else is unskilled and switches you intentionally or unintentionally.  For this reason road cycling and injuries are almost like gambling, the risk factors are external cannot be reduced by improving your technical abilities.

With mtb, with skill comes speed.  You only are taking risks when you are riding at the limit of your skill envelope, and then again that is your choice, and not a third party.  By training you can decrease the risk of accidents and injuries.  You are in charge.

If risk taking is your FUN can I introduce you to playing russian roullette with a pistol?

must agree with you fandacious...

MTB is what got me started,, but I am now almost totally converted to a roadie (except for the occasional mtb race here and there, done 1 so far this year...)

and I can feel the difference when I get back on the MTB, the road definitely makes you "softer",,, you're not used to all that impact and stuff anymore.

sad... but unfortunately very true!!

Kona, its a good argument, but I dont buy it.

I'm fairly skilled in road and MTB. I can handle single track as well as a bunch sprint.

And yet, most of my injuries are from MTB riding

Well I nearly ended up in the passengar seat of Citi this morning. Guy did not see me or my strobe light. He ended up more shocked than me and thank goodness my breaks worked ... close call.

But I guess on a MTB your always going to fall but able to get up vs on the road where you might have a accident and never get up.

True, but as said it seems to be more of a gamble on the road, I've only fallen while on the MTB, not once on the road, but I get up and keep riding, some of the road accidents I've seen were pretty hectic!

Well I nearly ended up in the passengar seat of Citi this morning. Guy did not see me or my strobe light. He ended up more shocked than me and thank goodness my breaks worked ... close call.

But I guess on a MTB your always going to fall but able to get up vs on the road where you might have a accident and never get up.

Quick posting - see we have the same idea Smile

so Fandacious, quit MTB then. It means one less person I have to pass while on the downhills Wink

I actually very seldom wipe out on MTB, and I ride pretty hard [when I get the chance] You shouldnt need to push your limit over the edge to have fun and go fast. Just learn to ride better.

bustthesickness2009-04-14 05:17:39

I actually very seldom wipe out on MTB' date=' and I ride pretty hard [when I get the chance'] You shouldnt need to push your limit over the edge to have fun and go fast. Just learn to ride better.

Clap  Clap Clap

Being a novice in both road and MTB I feel that both these can be as dangerous as you make it. Even if you do have very good riding skill this will not always save your bacon. A lapse in concentration or fatigue could make you end up on the tar or the dusty/muddy trail.