Monster - Massive disappointment valid?

Borriz

Did not enjoy the race Ouch.  Spend more time carrying and pushing my bike than riding it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The race was not dissappointing. This is a tough race and is advertised as such.

However I agree that there were many organizational issues most of which have been mentioned in the other responses.

I`d like to add the following.

1. Parking for an event like this should be included in the entry. The charging of parking fees at the gate created a massive traffic jam which which delayed many and was dangerous to all.

2. Maybe I did not look properly but there were not many First-aid/Emergency response teams to be seen given that this is a reasonably dangerous race in places?

3. The water points were spaced poorly in places.

4. I don`t expect goodie bags or free junk but the basics must be in place for a safe(as possible)race.

GREAT RACE !! I did the 75 and loved it !! I WILL eat the monster next year !! BTW there's no time to stop at the water tables anyway..... K@K t-shirt...

The monster is a race for mtb'ers ' date=' not woozies ![/quote']

and definitly no roadies Wink

The roadies that do it were all in OudtshoornLOL taming another monster.

Did not enjoy the race Ouch.  Spend more time carrying and pushing my bike than riding it.

You should train for races like this....Wink

im a roadie and coming back from chemo did monster,hard ride indeeded,24th overall 4th vet very chuffed indeeded,getting to be a mtbiker ,one day

Have you guys seen how many DNFs there are on the results sheet? Surely not all of those people started? smiley3.gif

I rode my 3rd monster...for the first time I rode the 45 km with the girl friend... She is a fair weather rider and took some serious pain, I carried her bike for her on the 2 steep sections.

I normally ride the larger distances with the top 50 or so, so I am not accustomed to the pain and suffering I saw with some of the guys mid pack...

Big up to all you guys who finished, hopefully you get more time to train harder for next time...

I rode my 3rd monster...for the first time I rode the 45 km with the girl friend... She is a fair weather rider and took some serious pain' date=' I carried her bike for her on the 2 steep sections.

I normally ride the larger distances with the top 50 or so, so I am not accustomed to the pain and suffering I saw with some of the guys mid pack...

Big up to all you guys who finished, hopefully you get more time to train harder for next time...
[/quote']

thanks kenny dude.. and nice of you to carry ur girls bike.

I see lot lot of people say never again, but they will mostprobably be back next time to try and fitter and better than the previous time.

I see lot lot of people say never again' date=' but they will mostprobably be back next time to try and fitter and better than the previous time.

[/quote']

Yep! Whilst riding I thought never again. I am now thinking how can i ride harder and what can I do to train for next year to make it easy.

really enjoyed it this year. did it 2yrs ago and almost died. paced myself a lot better and studied the profile beforehand so there was very little that wasn't expected...

Yes, races should be tough and a challenge but I agree that it felt like there was little route preperation. It seemed as though the race organisers just thought "ok, there's a mountain lets send them over it without even checking if it is rideable!" and the locked gate was a big balls up. The rocks and sand got a bit monotonous after a while. I think we have been spoilt with other races. I enjoy a challenge but it needs to be fun in the process. Carrying or pushing your bike for long periods is no fun, I'd rather be riding. I must say, great respect to all those that completed the 75km in good time. The 75km took me almost the whole day, just made it home in time for the rugby. Not sure if I'll do the 75km next year, didn't enjoy it.

The race was not dissappointing. This is a tough race and is advertised as such.

However I agree that there were many organizational issues most of which have been mentioned in the other responses.

I`d like to add the following.

1. Parking for an event like this should be included in the entry. The charging of parking fees at the gate created a massive traffic jam which which delayed many and was dangerous to all.

2. Maybe I did not look properly but there were not many First-aid/Emergency response teams to be seen given that this is a reasonably dangerous race in places?

3. The water points were spaced poorly in places.

4. I don`t expect goodie bags or free junk but the basics must be in place for a safe(as possible)race.

I so share your thoughts! Didn't feel like extending my moaning post but that's what I thought too. I didn't see any medics, forgive me if I am wrong but really didn't see any. I remember the Winter Challenge a few years back had quite a few of those.

The 2nd water point came just as I was wondering how many km I'd do before I'd die of dehydration. Yes I did finish 1.5l of water up to that point. Who knew 2 bottles equivalent won't be enough for 45km....

I also don't need the goodie bag, but a marshal at the barbed wire would have been appreciated. We lost time there for lack of proper markings....

There's tough races and then there's this unpleasant event. Reading the numerous pages on this event, it seems a lot of it was 1st time entries. You hear about a tough race and you like to see how you do so you give it a bash. I would like to know how many of those 1st time entries will come back though. It's obviously an aquired taste that kind of racing it will always have repeat business but none from my side. Talking about it in the car on the way back, it seems to me that it might be better to not do many races in our fair Gauteng and rather save up to do tough but yet pleasant races...

thanks kenny dude.. and nice of you to carry ur girls bike.

It already took 4 hrs to finish...Smile

I didn't need to wait around for another hour Wink

My rear brake (give me a break, it is the Monday blues LOL) pads were finished and the front close to finished after the monster! Ouch I replaced both with new pads last night! After the monster the rest of the one day races lined up till the end of the year should be a walk in da park? LOL Later this year the Toyota Rust de Winter 65km event is another tough one with all the sand and it's 2.5 km 16-18% climb! On this one it's not the rocks, but the soft sand that kills you Dead

nathrix2009-06-01 11:40:46