A helmet means never needing all your food pureed.

DawieO

No way those okes are flippen hardcore probably pro cyclists, they are my heroes for being so tough that they don't actually need helmets like the rest of you pussies!!

Forget about the law thing riding without a helmet fart-arsing about with your cell phone while driving is still the dumbest thing an operator of 2-odd tons of steel cyclist can do. smiley29.gif

Agreed' date=' but seeing it's a cycling forum I thought I wouldn't open that can of worms! smiley2.gif [/quote']

Ya, but it seems like most of the cyclists here also drive cars in quite a worrying manner...

That they do.  They are also protected by airbags, seatbelts, crumple zones and the like.

On a bike, not so much...

Forget about the law thing riding without a helmet fart-arsing about with your cell phone while driving is still the dumbest thing an operator of 2-odd tons of steel cyclist can do. smiley29.gif

but if DawieO drives that stretch of road the time I do then he is not posing any danger to anybody. That road is bumper to bumper and the pedestrians walk faster then what the cars travel.

Look at the Americans' date=' you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet but you have to wear glasses...the idea is you fall and damage your nut==>you problem....a bug flies into your eye==>you might crash into someone else...thus protect the other party if you do not want to protect yourself.

I believe in Darwin...let the idiots reduce their numbers...so only the cleaver and strong will survive.

smiley1.gif [/quote']

Interesting article: 

There is no federal law in the U.S. requiring bicycle helmets. The states and localities below began adopting laws in 1987, mostly limited to children under 18.

http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htm

My Dad is currently in the States (working as a trucker) and has noticed how in the last 5 years more and more states are enforcing helmet laws, but not enough.

I lost the link to a Motorbike accident report about helmets vs non-helmets in the states but it came down to: simlar amount of accidents and deaths (yes), but states with helmet laws had minimal head trauma injuries vs non-helmet states having massive amounts of cabbage-patch-bikers.

Hwy' date=' what time do you cross there? I also travel that route.[/quote']

You thinking of starting a lift club?   Embarrassed

Look at the Americans' date=' you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet but you have to wear glasses...the idea is you fall and damage your nut==>you problem....a bug flies into your eye==>you might crash into someone else...thus protect the other party if you do not want to protect yourself.

I believe in Darwin...let the idiots reduce their numbers...so only the cleaver and strong will survive.

smiley1.gif [/quote']Interesting article:? There is no federal law in the U.S. requiring bicycle helmets. The states and localities below began adopting laws in 1987, mostly limited to children under 18. http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htmMy Dad is currently in the States (working as a trucker) and has noticed how in the last 5 years more and more states are enforcing helmet laws, but not enough.I lost the link to a Motorbike accident report about helmets vs non-helmets in the states but it came down to: simlar amount of accidents and deaths (yes), but states with helmet laws had minimal head trauma injuries vs non-helmet states having massive amounts of cabbage-patch-bikers.<a name="skip" ="1"></a>

I do not understand your point? Why should a government enforce any law to look after a human, if you are dumb enough to cycle, motorcycle etc with a helmet or drive without a safety belt, your are the idiot.....HOWEVER their should be a law protecting kids as they can not decide for themselves.

NO helmet No ride... ca piesh. Unless russian roulette is your favourite game

Has anyone bothered to ask why one of the only countries in the world where the majority of the population cycles on a daily basis does not enforce helmets????

Ask Willehond for a few pics of the millions of cyclists that get around Holland daily without helmets. It's generally only people in racing /training peletons doing 40km/h plus that wear helmets.

edit: actually add China to the consideration too

Windbreaker2009-06-24 11:02:54

NO helmet No ride... ca piesh. Unless russian roulette is your favourite game

Has anyone bothered to ask why one of the only countries in the world where the majority of the population cycles on a daily basis does not enforce helmets????

Ask Willehond for a few pics of the millions of cyclists that get around Holland daily without helmets. It's generally only people in racing /training peletons doing 40km/h plus that wear helmets.

edit: actually add China to the consideration too

Cause they don't have SA Styled Taxis

smiley1.gif [/quote']Interesting article:  There is no federal law in the U.S. requiring bicycle helmets. The states and localities below began adopting laws in 1987, mostly limited to children under 18. http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htmMy Dad is currently in the States (working as a trucker) and has noticed how in the last 5 years more and more states are enforcing helmet laws, but not enough.I lost the link to a Motorbike accident report about helmets vs non-helmets in the states but it came down to: simlar amount of accidents and deaths (yes), but states with helmet laws had minimal head trauma injuries vs non-helmet states having massive amounts of cabbage-patch-bikers.<a name="skip" ="1"></a>

I do not understand your point? Why should a government enforce any law to look after a human, if you are dumb enough to cycle, motorcycle etc with a helmet or drive without a safety belt, your are the idiot.....HOWEVER their should be a law protecting kids as they can not decide for themselves.

Its law in South Africa and its a law I do not object and want to be strictly enforced.

But I agree on the NO HELMET, NO RIDE rule and nothing can justify not doing so !!!

This is really sad. People driving around taking pictures of cyclists in the wrong and then posting it here. Get a life. If they want to ride without helmets let them be.

• 5 months later...

This is really sad. People driving around taking pictures of cyclists in the wrong and then posting it here. Get a life. If they want to ride without helmets let them be.

Indeed. Why debate their stupidity? It makes two less people for Big H to moan about.