Longest climb

Tjokkits

From your bed into your riding gear and out the front door on a winter's morning.

Seriously, Krugersdorp hill is quite long. Also in the west, that climb when you turn left at the Cradle T-junction to climb back to Krugrsdorp. About 6km that one.

i know about one hill that drops about 4 km over 160 km ... hoping to go ride it (down, not up) sometime soon ... but that's not in joburg :)

i know about one hill that drops about 4 km over 160 km ... hoping to go ride it (down' date=' not up) sometime soon ... but that's not in joburg :)

[/quote']

So where is it?

i know about one hill that drops about 4 km over 160 km ... hoping to go ride it (down' date=' not up) sometime soon ... but that's not in joburg :)

[/quote']

is the hill 160km long??

if you cycle from lhasa to kathmandu on the friendship highway, then just before you reach katmandu, there's a downhill that take you from roughly everest base camp's altitude to the valleys below - nayalam in dhulikhel's direction.

got to have to stop at a customes office in the middle somewhere.

yes, they claim to have the world's longest downhill. the world's longest uphill, i suppose, if you really want to cycle all the way up.

a drop of 4 kays over 160 kays is about 1 kay drop over 40 kays - not that steep, then - but should be quite a thrill :)

cat-i2009-07-05 14:51:10

MTB or Road?

Road - Hekpoort Hill (could get squashed however while climbing because the road is very narrow for the most part) The climbing starts quite a bit back from the serious gradient climb. However the major climb is longer than Krugersdorp hill. This hill works well on MTB because you can use the very rough rock/grass verges.

Hekpoort, Hillnacks starting from the Muldersdrift turnoff, and Sterkfontein starting from Greensleeves...

best climbs road must be Lesotho. Near Katse dam. Amazing climbs, and this is at altitude too!! Road is good and there are plenty of climbing to be done.

Have a look on Google earth. Was there a few years back, but still remember those passes! Friend of mine grew up there and cycled it with his dad more than a few times Wink

Good place for SA pros to train, as long as you have a backup vehicle. Those kids there don't see white ppl on bikes too often and might try and bring you down with rocks - just maybe

Where is the longest climb in Johannesburg and surrounding areas?

In the South towards Heidelberg, SuikerbosRans Nature Reserve (SBR)

Two long very steeps climbs of 2.5 and 4.5 k's.

50+ km's of climbing and undulations - really a back breaker to complete.

Hardcore okes do it twice.

Krugersdorp Hill as has been mentioned, and also some serious ups and downs in other parts of the Westrand. Try Doreen rd from Hendrik Potgieter side towards WilroPark, Christiaan de Wet, etc.. Hekpoort is the mother though.

best climbs road must be Lesotho. Near Katse dam. Amazing climbs' date=' and this is at altitude too!! Road is good and there are plenty of climbing to be done.

Have a look on Google earth. Was there a few years back, but still remember those passes! Friend of mine grew up there and cycled it with his dad more than a few times Wink

Good place for SA pros to train, as long as you have a backup vehicle. Those kids there don't see white ppl on bikes too often and might try and bring you down with rocks - just maybe
[/quote']

you didn't have 'Aardrykskunde' in school, Lesotho isn't close to JhB...LOLLOL
cervelo2009-07-07 00:54:03