Max Heart Rate Question

I was out doing a couple of hills yesterday and on one particular hill that peaks at about 15% gradient, I was suprised when I looked down and noticed that I was sitting on 100% heart rate. Not that haven't reached this before, but usually when it peaks at 100%, it's at the end of an uphill sprint interval and I'm about to throw up Dead The strange thing was that I actually felt pretty comfortable, well, not quite comfortable, but let's just say I could've picked it up even more, only I ran out of uphill. My HR monitor is working fine, so it wasn't an issue of a bad connection between the belt and my skin. My question is, can your maximum heart rate be elevated through training? I've always been under the impression that your max HR is fixed, just your ability to do prolonged efforts at a higher heartrate can be improved through training.

Sounds like you had some  electrical interference....it's normally when you're in the proximity of Eskom power cables.

Can only be from Power Cables, To much CAFFEINE / Ephedrine or you are unfit, now you tell us which one it is, pick carefully please:-D  

How did you calculate your max HR, Polar does the simple 220 - age equasion which is often quite far out.

I used to just put my age into the HRM and let it do the calculation, but I went for some proper testing and found that my max HR was 5 bpm higher than the Polar calculated. So I was reaching my "max" with some more gas in the tank.

What's the most accurate way of calculating your max hr without killing yourself trying to find out?

haha!

Already ruled out the cables and I don't think one gel an hour and a half earlier constitutes "too much caffeine".

I'm still recovering from a broken leg and since I've started training again (+-5 months), I've focused more on spinning a high cadence than pushing a heavy gear. It's really wierd, but the last couple of races I've averaged over 90% Max HR for over 2 hours. Previously I would have associated that sort of average HR with a sprint Triathlon taking just over an hour.

I was out doing a couple of hills yesterday and on one particular hill that peaks at about 15% gradient' date=' I was suprised when I looked down and noticed that I was sitting on 100% heart rate. Not that haven't reached this before, but usually when it peaks at 100%, it's at the end of an uphill sprint interval and I'm about to throw up Dead The strange thing was that I actually felt pretty comfortable, well, not quite comfortable, but let's just say I could've picked it up even more, only I ran out of uphill. My HR monitor is working fine, so it wasn't an issue of a bad connection between the belt and my skin. My question is, can your maximum heart rate be elevated through training? I've always been under the impression that your max HR is fixed, just your ability to do prolonged efforts at a higher heartrate can be improved through training.

[/quote']

Polka, you will only know your real max HR when you have had it tested scientifically by someone in the know.

The formulas that are available is only realy a guide, and depends on many factors ie previous training experience, heart lung development, current fitness etc. (I wouldnt give myself out as any kind of expert), so you may find yr max HR is actualy higher than what you anticipate. To go beyond your max isn't suppose to happen, and if it does you will be totally exhausted and near to pass out stage.

It is possible that training can elevate yr max, but that is also very dependable on what your tested/perceived max was.

Training does however reduce your resting HR - if it is endurance/aerobic type training done over a "long" (not too sure how long/soon the effects will be visible) period of time

Maybe someone more clued up can assist.

Max HR is a guideline as to the average limit of a person your age, and as such is open to variation from person to person.

You'll find that Polar has set your max HR as 220 minus your age. I know it's variable, as my gf has been known to clock speeds in excess of 208. And I ain't no cradle-snatcher!

At the end of the day, you have a generally accepted max for your HR. If you go over that max, it is not to say you have gone over your max - you would be pushing the daisies had that been the case - it just means that your max is slightly higher than the generally accepted max.

As for the training increasing MAX HR, yes. It should be possible. Training increases cardio efficiency, which in turn elevates the amount of power/effort you can poush out. More power = more blood flowing, which could either mean that the efficiency of your heart gets higher, or it's ability to beat at higher BPM is improved. Either way, you get tired less easily, and perceived effort gets lower.

the only way to know what your max. is... is to go to your max.

If that means "almost die", than thats it.. Otherwise, its thumsuck.

So use what you currently have monitored, and try to suffer more on climbs to record a higher heart beatpopeye2009-07-06 05:01:22

Regarding calculating HR Max; I've never trusted any of those generic calculators.

I've just taken the highest HR I ever reached in a race as my HR Max. I've done a few ramp tests on the spin trainer and the results seemed to correlate with racing.

Polka' date=' you will only know your real max HR when you have had it tested scientifically by someone in the know.

[/quote']

The last test I did, was in the lab for a friend's Master's Degree Research project. They had all the equipment, computers, VO2Max, lactate etc etc... Seemed like they new what they were doing Smile

101 reasons why HR is a dodgy metric Wink

you'll never know your true max power output unless you "almost die" on the trainer either... Wink

Polka' date=' you will only know your real max HR when you have had it tested scientifically by someone in the know.

[/quote']

The last test I did, was in the lab for a friend's Master's Degree Research project. They had all the equipment, computers, VO2Max, lactate etc etc... Seemed like they new what they were doing Smile

wont argue with that.

would be interesting then to get your friend's take on this matter.

let us know please