Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Had a flat tyre this weekend and had to replace a tube (haven't done that in quite a while...) and noticed these tyres are really hard. I'm assuming they've just dried/hardened with age. Saw I have a tear in the rear sidewall after this morning's ride too, so I think replacements are due.

Freewheel decided to no bueno this morning just as I got to the group ride meetup point. Luckily got it to engage again and got back home, taking it easy and not freewheeling or backpedaling to keep the pawls engaged. Think a quick clean and relube and she'll be golden.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Had a flat tyre this weekend and had to replace a tube (haven't done that in quite a while...) and noticed these tyres are really hard. I'm assuming they've just dried/hardened with age. Saw I have a tear in the rear sidewall after this morning's ride too, so I think replacements are due.

Freewheel decided to no bueno this morning just as I got to the group ride meetup point. Luckily got it to engage again and got back home, taking it easy and not freewheeling or backpedaling to keep the pawls engaged. Think a quick clean and relube and she'll be golden.

the good part about 6/7 speed freewheels are they literally cost like R135 haha. I took my vintage one off and put n new shimano one on i got from CWC. thats so cheap you can literally replace it a few times a year if you choose lol

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-cassette-6-spd

pair that with a brand new KMC 7spd chain for R200 and it will run like butter

Edited by MORNE

27 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Yeah, often those pawls are just gunked up and need a good flush and light coat of oil. There's not really much that can go wrong in there.

44 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

My latest resto video of a little Panasonic DX3000 has dropped on YouTube for those interested:

after this i 'accidentally' clicked on your vintage gravel video and then your neo retro build....and now my head is going 1000kph. thanks for that.........

On 5/1/2022 at 9:25 PM, TyronLab said:

It was originally dubbed Iron Maiden, but after a robust discussion in my home about an unrelated topic it has been redubbed as "Ou Stuk ***".

20220430_114930.jpg.7244adb94efa25c734a599ffeaa06769.jpg

Did a quick wash and chain soak in degreaser yesterday. Other than a gummy freewheel its remarkably sound for a 30+ year old bike that's been immobile for a numer of years.

Needs a freewheel and headset service, but other than that she runs like a dream. Some fresh bar tape (current original setup is hard as a rock), a saddle that isn't made for a waify thin bottom, and a fresh set of 28/30c rubber (23s are frighteningly hard) and she's ready to Fondo!

The proverbial cogs are already turning, and my excitement and plans are already outstripping my budget.

First outing:

strava504752452611754951.jpg

3 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Fresh 28C's and a good service will make the world of difference... welcome to the Dark Side of Vintage Steel, lovely looking old Zini  🤙☺️

Just check, 28C may not fit, I put a 28C Gatorskin onto the old Alpina wheels, the front rubs on the bridge of the fork. 

I find that I can usually get a 28 to fit at the back, as long as I move the wheel quite far back in the horizontal dropouts. In the front I can often get a 32 to fit, even if it may mean deflating the tyre a bit to squeeze it through the brake calipers. This go for all my locally made frames. (On my Italians, 25 is the biggest I can get to work.) The only way is to give it a try. If you buy tyres, just tell the shop that you may want to come and exchange it for a different size if necessary. My Lbs did this for me a good few times. And, yes, I have Gatorskins on all of them.

Edited by DJR

I am keeping myself busy with a little rebuild project and quite excited about it so far - can anyone help with the following:

1. Someone to do hard chroming in Jo'burg? the frame stays are ok, but the fork chrome is gone

2. Vintage 32h rims. the front is a Mavic red label, but the rear rim is some australian improvisation. I'd either buy a single or a pair depending on what comes up.

3. White cable housing? brake and gear

Thanks for any help :)

Willie Munn does hard chroming, just google W G Munn, he is in Elsburg

I have also seen a place in Alrode that does it, but cant remember the name of the company

Edited by Chadvdw67

16 hours ago, 100Tours said:

I am keeping myself busy with a little rebuild project and quite excited about it so far - can anyone help with the following:

1. Someone to do hard chroming in Jo'burg? the frame stays are ok, but the fork chrome is gone

2. Vintage 32h rims. the front is a Mavic red label, but the rear rim is some australian improvisation. I'd either buy a single or a pair depending on what comes up.

3. White cable housing? brake and gear

Thanks for any help :)

I can probably assist with the Mavic rims (wheels) if you can wait a week (I am on my way to Eroica).

Whatsapp me a pic of the mismatched wheels you have.

3 minutes ago, Loose cog said:

I can probably assist with the Mavic rims (wheels) if you can wait a week (I am on my way to Eroica).

Whatsapp me a pic of the mismatched wheels you have.

Lucky bugger have a blast Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I need some help from the restoration gurus:

1. What do you find to be the best way to rejuvinate dulled spokes? My MA40 wheels are still in generally good nic, but the spokes have gone matte. Looks similar to aged galvanized steel. Any tips for bringing back some lustre to them? 

2. I've seen a bunch of recommendations for polishing the chrome bits. Any specific method / products you can recommend? I'm buying a polishing wheel for my drill to speed the process up a smidge.

3. Anyone have any recommendations on blacking out the chrome bits? This may or may not happen, still toying with the idea, just wondering if anyone's attempted it and how you did it? 

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

1. What do you find to be the best way to rejuvinate dulled spokes? My MA40 wheels are still in generally good nic, but the spokes have gone matte. Looks similar to aged galvanized steel. Any tips for bringing back some lustre to them? 

2. I've seen a bunch of recommendations for polishing the chrome bits. Any specific method / products you can recommend? I'm buying a polishing wheel for my drill to speed the process up a smidge.

3. Anyone have any recommendations on blacking out the chrome bits? This may or may not happen, still toying with the idea, just wondering if anyone's attempted it and how you did it? 

I am busy doing the same thing, give or take :D

for shining up spokes you might try scrubbing with aluminium foil and water/coke. I also find that builders 'all metal polysh' does a good job, although its a bit more expensive. the polish works well with a polishing wheel. I also use a polishing wheel on the dremel for the tiny bits, but that too is a pricey exercise.

Also re-chroming seems cheap once you have dealt with any surface pitting. The process I have followed here for a chrome fork has been strip chrome (using an electroplating business), then sand/polish with the drill, then back to the platers for new chrome.

Edited by 100Tours

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

1: Autosol

2: Autosol

3: not sure