Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been doing some cleaning. 20 years of grease took a bit of soaking but not looking bad now.

post-10608-1398967263,5229.jpg

Hey Q

Busy with the restoration of the same groupset, also polished the crancks and all the shiny bits. Added some shimano 105 stickers to the cranks and it makes a huge difference. Got itfrom tytone on the hub.

post-43885-0-04673500-1399094803_thumb.jpg

hi guys

if you looking for some vintage decals drop me a pm im sure I can make them.....

Hey Q

Busy with the restoration of the same groupset, also polished the crancks and all the shiny bits. Added some shimano 105 stickers to the cranks and it makes a huge difference. Got itfrom tytone on the hub.

Hi

Tyrone did make decals for me just like the ones you have. My problem is living in durban. The sea air corrodes aluminium if it's not anodized. I have managed to find a guy in joburg who says he can anodize and keep the shine. I will send a sample up and see how it goes. If he can then I will apply decal after anodizing and clear coat over it all.

I work in jhb, maybe send me his details, I've got some spares lying around which I 'll give a quick polish and take to see what it looks like.

Finally done... well, almost... still to do decals.

But, aside from decals, all put together.

Thanks Chro Mo for the frame and all the advice along the way :thumbup: .

Gemini - Columbus steel frame.

Shimano 600 bits including post.

Cinelli Groove bars.

Time carbon 1" fork.

post-12909-0-74647600-1399723121_thumb.jpg

Photos a bit budget - will take some better ones.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Hi guys

I have a technically question I hope someone can answer. I've been looking around on the net haven't found much on it.

I have a shimano 600 (FH 6402) rear hub with an 8sp hyperglide cassette I think this model is hyperglide and Uniglide compatible. I want to know if I a 7sp hyperglide cassette will fit?

Thanks

Dan

Hi guys

I have a technically question I hope someone can answer. I've been looking around on the net haven't found much on it.

I have a shimano 600 (FH 6402) rear hub with an 8sp hyperglide cassette I think this model is hyperglide and Uniglide compatible. I want to know if I a 7sp hyperglide cassette will fit?

Thanks

Dan

The following info gleaned from Sheldon Brown's site (Harris cyclery):

"The wider 8/9/10-speed freehub body requires a 4.5 mm spacer behind a 7-speed cassette. You might as well stay with the larger number of sprockets if the hub already has this freehub body."

Not sure if you know that the Hyperglide cassettes are symmetrical ... so if the teeth are worn, you can "invert" the sprockets so the chain engages on the other side of each tooth, effectively lengthening the life of the cassette. But I assume you have a 7-speed derailleur that you intend using with that wheel, hence the original question.

Hi guys

Thanks

Dan

Hey Dan

It depends. Some of the early hubs had a slightly different key pattern to the later hubs. Hence, the cassettes had a slightly different pattern. But it's not too drastic, I managed to file down an older cassette to fit a newer hub, so maybe you can do it in reverse!!!

edit: if Climate is right and you just want to use the 7 speed RD, it'll shift 8 spd too, so it's not serious.

Edited by heyyou

Thanks for the info guys.

I have 7sp dura ace 7400 groupset which I want too use. So i want to use the 7sp down tube shifters, thats the main reason i want to use 7sp cassette.

I dont know if there is a way to use the 7sp shifters with the 8sp cassette?

The other option is just buy a wheel with a 7sp cassette. So does anyone have a 7sp dura ace or 600 rear hub they wanting to sell?

Thanks

Edited by danthunders

I have 7sp dura ace 7400 groupset which I want too use. So i want to use the 7sp down tube shifters, thats the main reason i want to use 7sp cassette.

The other option is just buy a wheel with a 7sp cassette. So does anyone have a 7sp dura ace or 600 rear hub they wanting to sell?

Thanks

Sheldon Brown is your friend.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Thanks

You can use the 7spd shifters with an 8 spd cassette, just set the RD limiting screws to leave out the top or bottom cog.

Presto, 7 spd.

Otherwise, a spacer on the inside and use 7spd cassette.

@ javadude - Thanks for the link ????

@heyyou - I think setting the RD limit screw would be the easiest to do. I didn't even think about that....

Thanks

I may have a 7 speed freewheel body that you can screw onto your dura ace hub.