Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Thanks bikebloke! 

Thoughts on the rebuild? Convert to an SS or spent half my savings on a period correct campy groupset to replace the Exage 600 and Sora :eek: ?

start saving up its a real colnago making a SS :thumbdown:

or if you want  a SS sell this frame and use the money for something you really want 

Edited by bikebloke

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an Older Super, fork crown is flat, not sloped like later models.

Please don't turn it into a single speed.

If you want a single speed buy one dedicated to that, a bike like this needs careful attention and money to get back to something original.

I have another single speed build underway at the moment - The single speed option is to allow me to ride the bike without spending an incredible amount on a Campy Group as I have always coveted a Colnago. It seems fundamentally wrong to ride the bike with the current setup  :thumbdown:

Which Campy Group would be appropriate for the model and what should I expect to spend?

Would it be so wrong to build up with a shimano tri-colour group that I have in the parts bin?

I have another single speed build underway at the moment - The single speed option is to allow me to ride the bike without spending an incredible amount on a Campy Group as I have always coveted a Colnago. It seems fundamentally wrong to ride the bike with the current setup  :thumbdown:

Which Campy Group would be appropriate for the model and what should I expect to spend?

Would it be so wrong to build up with a shimano tri-colour group that I have in the parts bin?

Could I please have your address? I'd like to send some used toilet paper that way.

Sorry guys  ... just one last question on the frame. How do you know it's definitely a Colnago?

I couldn't see the down-tube logo properly, the seat-stays have no emblem ....  and the space between the back-wheel and the seat-tube is pretty large (unlike Colnago where it's difficult to fit a 28)?

I own a few classic frames and only one Colnago (tecnos), thus not a connoisseur at all, just asking so I also know for future reference.

thx 

1983 super with campy NR build ( costa a lot)

post-85316-0-40478900-1597152702_thumb.jpg

Edited by bikebloke

Tried posting this in a "Help me identify this Colnago" thread when I was offered this bike, however received no response.

Trying again here after having bought the bike, somewhat impulsively :oops:

Any ideas which Colnago this might be? It does say "Mexico" on a label, though I am 99% sure it isn't a Mexico as the fork does not match the pictures I have seen?

Top tip, if you are looking for info or views, the weekend in hubland is quiet.  Most prefer to talk about bikes when we should be working Monday to Friday

This is a colnago and worth restoring - keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds.  Some frames are worth keeping the patina, this one not so much.  Get it painted, ask around, I know a few guys who have had nice paint jobs done in JHB

It won't be cheap - in the meantime get busy shining the bits you can whilst hunting parts.  Ask for help (monday to mid morning Thursday) 

Some guys go all in for accuracy which is probably the right way, I personally go for old bikes and modern components  - that way I get up hills easier

Edited by Waynemol

Sorry guys  ... just one last question on the frame. How do you know it's definitely a Colnago?

I couldn't see the down-tube logo properly, the seat-stays have no emblem ....  and the space between the back-wheel and the seat-tube is pretty large (unlike Colnago where it's difficult to fit a 28)?

I own a few classic frames and only one Colnago (tecnos), thus not a connoisseur at all, just asking so I also know for future reference.

thx 

look on the head tube lug, you'll see the logo - also the BB (underneath)

Top tip, if you are looking for info or views, the weekend in hubland is quiet.  Most prefer to talk about bikes when we should be working Monday to Friday

This is a colnago and worth restoring - keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds.  Some frames are worth keeping the patina, this one not so much.  Get it painted, ask around, I know a few guys who have had nice paint jobs done in JHB

It won't be cheap - in the meantime get busy shining the bits you can whilst hunting parts.  Ask for help (monday to mid morning Thursday) 

Some guys go all in for accuracy which is probably the right way, I personally go for old bikes and modern components  - that way I get up hills easier

Thanks for the tips! 

Just keen to get riding for now so will keep a keen eye on the classifieds for a decent Campy Groupset and maybe consider the complete restoration once I'm comfortable that the frame is for me :thumbup:

look on the head tube lug, you'll see the logo - also the BB (underneath)

ok, thanks ... that emblem just didn't look like the traditional Colnago .... nice to know.  ;) 

Thanks for the tips!

Just keen to get riding for now so will keep a keen eye on the classifieds for a decent Campy Groupset and maybe consider the complete restoration once I'm comfortable that the frame is for me :thumbup:

That’s actually perfect - check everything is tight and lubed and go riding and have fun

With respect and apologies to the purists, its your bike, follow your heart and do what you want as long as you enjoy it and use it. Pretty much anything can be undone.

I am part of a vintage jeep community and the prevailing advice is to use the vehicle before you tear into it as the rebuild can be long and expensive. if you've used it a bit you have a connection with it and are more likely to make it through the whole rebuild (granted that a jeep rebuild is going to be more difficult and expensive than a bicycle rebuild)

my 2 cents worth!

This is a mid to late 70’s Super. Nice find and would be a pity to see it as a SS. 70’s Campy parts are expensive but this bike will also look very nice with 2nd generation Dura Ace

Tried posting this in a "Help me identify this Colnago" thread when I was offered this bike, however received no response.

Trying again here after having bought the bike, somewhat impulsively :oops:

Any ideas which Colnago this might be? It does say "Mexico" on a label, though I am 99% sure it isn't a Mexico as the fork does not match the pictures I have seen?