Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

This is a mid to late 70’s Super. Nice find and would be a pity to see it as a SS. 70’s Campy parts are expensive but this bike will also look very nice with 2nd generation Dura Ace

Found a nice example to compare too ....  pretty much identical frame to this one  :thumbup: 

https://steel-vintage.com/colnago-super-road-bike-classic-1970s-detail

.. even down to cut-outs on BB next to clover too  ;) 

(or https://steel-vintage.com/colnago-mexico-road-bike-classic-1970s-detail)

Edited by EddieV

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect and apologies to the purists, its your bike, follow your heart and do what you want as long as you enjoy it and use it. Pretty much anything can be undone.

I am part of a vintage jeep community and the prevailing advice is to use the vehicle before you tear into it as the rebuild can be long and expensive. if you've used it a bit you have a connection with it and are more likely to make it through the whole rebuild (granted that a jeep rebuild is going to be more difficult and expensive than a bicycle rebuild)

my 2 cents worth!

Thanks for the advice - definitely agree with using the bike before attempting the rebuild. From first ride, it feels just a little small for me as its a 56cm and I am 1.79m. Perhaps its just because I havent been on a road bike in a while though  :unsure:

Thanks for the advice - definitely agree with using the bike before attempting the rebuild. From first ride, it feels just a little small for me as its a 56cm and I am 1.79m. Perhaps its just because I havent been on a road bike in a while though  :unsure:

I'm 1'83 and have Colnagos in 56/57/58  although sizing can be misleading  - my 56 for example is 56 (BB to top tube) but 58 top tube to headset

Yours should be just about perfect for you and unlikely to be too small  - just get used to the roadbike thing and then slowly start tweaking it like maybe some wider tyres.  Show that baby some love and you will be rewarded

This is a mid to late 70’s Super. Nice find and would be a pity to see it as a SS. 70’s Campy parts are expensive but this bike will also look very nice with 2nd generation Dura Ace

Tried posting this in a "Help me identify this Colnago" thread when I was offered this bike, however received no response.

Trying again here after having bought the bike, somewhat impulsively :oops:

Any ideas which Colnago this might be? It does say "Mexico" on a label, though I am 99% sure it isn't a Mexico as the fork does not match the pictures I have seen?

Thanks - Any idea what I Should look to pay for a 70's Campy group and a respray? A ballpark would be helpful in weighing up options?

• 3 weeks later...

Howzit Folks....I want a Peugeot oldie...whats a decent model Peugeot bike out there OR where they all iffy???...

Howzit Folks....I want a Peugeot oldie...whats a decent model Peugeot bike out there OR where they all iffy???...

I bought a Prestige Peugeot Mirage 1987 - Infinity cr-mo - when I was 17 .... still have it. I still do races with it. It has a new groupset now, but I love it. 

These are excellent frames and on the lighter side of steel frames. 

Not selling mine  ;) 

I bought a Prestige Peugeot Mirage 1987 - Infinity cr-mo - when I was 17 .... still have it. I still do races with it. It has a new groupset now, but I love it. 

These are excellent frames and on the lighter side of steel frames. 

Not selling mine  ;) 

Great stuff...please post a pic of your Peugeot...tryna get some ideas of what to look for...thanks again

Great stuff...please post a pic of your Peugeot...tryna get some ideas of what to look for...thanks again

The first one is with the original fork, it sadly got damaged in a house-move

The second one is with a replacement straight blade fork - I have in the meantime sourced an original fork but have not yet changed it.

Goes without saying groupset and wheels are not original  ;)  :P 

post-20017-0-01563400-1599122329_thumb.jpg

post-20017-0-34951100-1599122339_thumb.jpg

The first one is with the original fork, it sadly got damaged in a house-move

The second one is with a replacement straight blade fork - I have in the meantime sourced an original fork but have not yet changed it.

Goes without saying groupset and wheels are not original  ;)  :P 

WOW...thanks looks a beaut!!