Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

After i took apart my Jan Janssen racer, a lot of rust came out of the bb and chainstays, i didn't really trust that frame anymore so i talked to a friend about it and he gave me a link to a sales ad from a 1999 frame, that was only used in the showroom, just a frame and fork. I asked the seller what he wanted for the frame and whe agreed on a fair price, so now i have a good,rust free frameset;

post-159581-0-11607400-1594656544_thumb.jpg

It's the type of cro-mo that you can smash a persons skull in with, but the frame stays straight... Not the light wheight kind of bike frame, but before i am so lean that frameweight is an issue...

So now the frame is a bit younger, i will be using Ryde DP18 rims, Hope silver hubs and a shiny sparkling silver 105 R7000 groupset.

Edited by Flushing Shadow

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last couple of months I've developed an itch for a retro roadie. Not exactly sure where the itch came from, but hey.....

This frame popped up in the classifieds a little ways back. Not 100% sure how it landed in my hands yet, but some mysteries are simply unsolvable I guess...

The frame's been powder coated, so if someone knows where to get original decals that'd be nice...

Once I get a few more bits I'll be able to build it up.

post-86802-0-93109200-1594917365_thumb.jpg

post-86802-0-17758000-1594917352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kalahari Vegmot

Over the last couple of months I've developed an itch for a retro roadie. Not exactly sure where the itch came from, but hey.....

This frame popped up in the classifieds a little ways back. Not 100% sure how it landed in my hands yet, but some mysteries are simply unsolvable I guess...

The frame's been powder coated, so if someone knows where to get original decals that'd be nice...

Once I get a few more bits I'll be able to build it up.

20200716_170434.jpg

20200716_170135.jpg

Carbon bike repairs in Durbanville are brilliant at replacement decals.

Found this article quite interesting. A bit of the history pertaining to SA frame builders: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mg.co.za/article/2013-09-13-00-fixed-assets-a-bicycle-frame-of-mind/%3famp

I knew Basil Cohen in the 90s when I was a laaitie. He had a bike shop/general trading shop in Venterspost near Randfontein/Westonarea.The place was like a treasure trove of bike stuff. He used to sponsor a lot of the mine workers to ride on the track in Westonarea and Wes-Drie. I was a cash strapped laaitie and he always gave me a good deal on bike stuff. Only years after that did I learn he was a legend of SA cycling.

We used to have Wes-Tranvaal track meets at Wes-Drie track. I’m my age group we would race for second (or in my place second last) behind JP van Zyl.

I can still smell that shop. Rubber, tubby glue and stale beer outside (there were literally prossies sitting on beer crates outside the shop, pomp and beer combo deal).

Edited by Knersboy

Aaah, I got that frame from Stan a while back (its a white one hey?) and it was in my stand by the time i realized that its too big for me. My dreamy heart eyes blinded me to the fact until that point! 

Got the Frame back from David. His work is amazing. Brazing is flawless. :) 

It's a 2001 Cervelo Prodigy (Nivacrom rear and thermacrom main tubes).

New replaced/added headtube to fit a 1 1/8 straight or tapered fork, and rear disc mounts added. He also replaced/added the cable guides.

The frame weighs in at 1.7kg after modifications.  ;) 

Now for stripping and painting.

post-20017-0-94812700-1595505525_thumb.jpg

post-20017-0-70412300-1595505545_thumb.jpg

post-20017-0-70516300-1595506363_thumb.jpg

post-20017-0-38921300-1595506875_thumb.jpg

Got the Frame back from David. His work is amazing. Brazing is flawless. :) 

It's a 2001 Cervelo Prodigy (Nivacrom rear and thermacrom main tubes).

New replaced/added headtube to fit a 1 1/8 straight or tapered fork, and rear disc mounts added. He also replaced/added the cable guides.

The frame weighs in at 1.7kg after modifications.  ;) 

Now for stripping and painting.

Would love to see where this build is going! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Hubber Dirt Addict07 for the templates for the decals. Once I had the templates, it was simply a case of finding a local company to make them, and a little patience

I am looking for a head tube decal like this

.attachicon.gif 20200724_172425.jpg

Tried posting this in a "Help me identify this Colnago" thread when I was offered this bike, however received no response.

Trying again here after having bought the bike, somewhat impulsively :oops:

Any ideas which Colnago this might be? It does say "Mexico" on a label, though I am 99% sure it isn't a Mexico as the fork does not match the pictures I have seen?

post-29851-0-72313800-1597145260_thumb.jpg

post-29851-0-07300700-1597145274_thumb.jpg

post-29851-0-91223400-1597145286_thumb.jpg

post-29851-0-27589100-1597145297_thumb.jpg

post-29851-0-72868600-1597145308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Master83

Thanks bikebloke! 

Thoughts on the rebuild? Convert to an SS or spent half my savings on a period correct campy groupset to replace the Exage 600 and Sora :eek: ?

Thanks bikebloke! 

Thoughts on the rebuild? Convert to an SS or spent half my savings on a period correct campy groupset to replace the Exage 600 and Sora :eek: ?

My opinion ....  :)  .... if you aren't sure if it's a Colnago, ...or a Colner or Cornello?  .. I would rather convert this one to a SS or similar, and spend your big bucks on something you know is definitely a Colnago, even if it's just for resale purposes ... the next guy might ask the same questions?

.... just my two cents ....  ;)