What Is Snapping sound when loosening a stem bolt

MTB0007

Hi

Why would a stem bolt - (Pinch BOLT) make a snapping sound when loosening?

The steerer is carbon and the stem is scandium...

Any ideas, I know from working on motors - this is usually the threads loosening, but on a bicycle ???????????????/
NEWBY00072009-09-09 04:31:14

Bolt and "nut" thread are metal.

And probably well secured with all the excess sodium and other chemicals excrected after drinking those expensive commercial energy drinks...

SwissVan2009-09-09 04:46:52

Interesting that you observed it, most people don't question those little trivialities that make life so interesting.

The bolt is elastic - in tension, in torsion and in compression. The latter state is not achieved but when you tighten a bolt, it stretches and it twists. Stretching Im sure you understand, but the twisting is the snapping noise. When a bolt is tensioned, the top part of the thread is slightly ahead of the bottom part of the bolt. And remains in that twisted position until it is released. When you loosen the bolt, the top part of the bolt at first goes past the bottom part and then suddenly the bottom part breaks loose from its static friction position and shoots back to catch up with the top part. That's the snap.

There is more friction in aluminium than in steel on steel, hence the stem's pronounced tendency to snap.

You'll also find it in other bolts on the bike.

• 14 years later...

Greetings, so I've found that cracking/snapping noise when loosening my rear flat mount caliper bolts to realign the caliper. Is that noise something to be concerned about ? Does it need grease,copper compound or blue threadlocker on assembly to avoid noise ?

My guess would be that there is dirt and sand in the thread but that would be a little too obvious?

There should not be any noise coming from those bolts when loosening or tightening.

Thanks for the response and the link, do appreciate 👍. Was helpfull indeed and helped me made my choice of adhesive/lubricant. Regards.

Edited by Mornay De Doncker