What Lube for Road

Daniel XTR

I am running finish line at the moment, and hell its messy. Usewhite lightening (Epic Ride) on the MTB, can i use it on the road, or what else can i use?

That black stuff on your oil is fine iron particles from the chain. Very few of these molecules are needed to colour the oil black. Black oil is a sign of a healthy lubrication system. It shows that the oil is flowing throught the chain's cavities and capilaries and is replenished after each pedal cycle.

Waxes can't flow and thus cannot transport the black stuff to the outside of the chain. This is a clear sign that the lubrication is not being replenished after each tension cycle in the chain.

What you need to do is to continue using the oil that goes black, but in far less quantities. You need a truncated drop on each second link. Apply the drop directly to each second roller and spin the chain around. You'll see that after three or four revolutions each roller will be wet. This will soon be transported inside the chain through capillary action. The reduced quantity of chain oil will help reduce the severity of those chain tattoos, but not eliminate them.

Black is beautiful.

I tried white lightning epic on my road bike and am amazed with it,yes it makes it black and im very happy with it..it isnt a wax lube,very liquidy.

thanks all except noche' date=' whose will be punished next weekend, so best beware, them legs are getting back fast. [/quote']

haha, bring it on!

Have used all the above and now onto Rock n Roll - a pleasant difference from the others and seems to handle MTB conditions well.

Used squirt for ages (and white lightning for that matter) both are great but have issues with water. RnR seems not to...happy trails