Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

bla bla bla

A bit of a generalised statement in my opinion.? Cycling lanes definitely has its place.? When you mix high speed traffic with slow moving vehicles you risk big damage.? Seperating them on fast sections of roads makes commuting a lot safer.? If I think back about commuting in Cape Town past Woodbridge Island and the number of fatal accidents happening there due to trucks and vehicles hitting people it makes immediate sense.?

I commuted this morning on 21km of cycle lanes in the dark and I promise you I felt 100% safe.? Partly because the cycle lane was about 5 metres away from the road' date=' but also because drivers waited for me at every junction (even on ones they didn't have to!).?

?

Cycling lanes definitely help, but where I agree with Bruce is that they are not the magic answer.?It is critical that people change their attitudes.? Cyclists and motorists.

?

Anyway Flemish, the problem in Belgium is not cycling lanes it's the Frenchy drivers!
[/quote']

Haha - I agree, I didn't mean to generalise. I just had a few bad experiences! And was thinking of my shool days when I rode my 50cc Honda MBX at 100km/h on these lanes smiley9.gif

They have their place indeed, but can dangerous if not thought through properly.

The Frenchies, what about the Dutch with their monster caravans smiley18.gif

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha - I agree' date=' I didn't mean to generalise. I just had a few bad experiences! And was thinking of my shool days when I rode my 50cc Honda MBX at 100km/h on these lanes smiley9.gif
They have their place indeed, but can dangerous if not thought through properly.

The Frenchies, what about the Dutch with their monster caravans smiley18.gif [/quote'] So you were one of those helmetless moto idiots?!  It figures...

Caravans are cool.  They keep Jeremy Clarkson off the roads.  Plus, they are way too big to fit on the cycle lanes.  Another reason to get cycle lanes!

Anyway, Belgians are caravan crazy too.  Just sticking a motor in it and calling it a mobile home, doesn't make it any less of a caravan or any more sexy!!!

bla bla bla
So you were one of those helmetless moto idiots?!? It figures...

?

Caravans are cool.? They keep Jeremy Clarkson off the roads.? Plus' date=' they are way too big to fit on the cycle lanes.? Another reason to get cycle lanes!

?

Anyway, Belgians are caravan crazy too.? Just sticking a motor in it and calling it a mobile home, doesn't make it any less of a caravan or any more sexy!!!
[/quote']

Nah - I had a nice helmet, but an idiot nonetheless...

Jo's uncle bought one here in SA - a caravan that is - road tripping in luxury!

I ride this route all the time and used to ride it with both the big club groups. Now I ride with a smaller group. They have absolutely no respect. Why can't people apologise when they are in the wrong instead of swearing and threatening. Simply put your hand up and apologise then get out of the way. Whats wrong with people in Joburg that everyone has to be confrontational.  I think there is a simple way to sort it out...any cyclist cought riding in the middle of the road should be fined and the clubs should be responsible for policing this or get fined to. In fact any picture with a club member in the middle or the road should be sent to Central Gauteng Cycling and the club should be fined. That will take care of the matter quickly.

• 10 months later...

This is where it all started, so it might as well end here. Here is a letter that has been sent to all residents of the cradle

--------------------------------------------------

To all Cradle residents

Late last year the cycling issue was out of hand and there were a number of incidents. A meeting was held at Teak place between a number of players mainly been residents and cyclist representatives.

This meeting was heated and the resolution was that I would represent the residents and work together with CGC , representative cyclist clubs and Metro to find a win win solution.

A few meetings took place, but the initiate was always from side and at one stage Giovanni indicated that the meetings were a waste of time ,and the problem was with the road and if this was sorted out there would be no problems.

Cut a long story short. Metro promised to take a serious stand against cyclist’s who ride in the middle of the road, by ways of fines ect. This was backed by everyone who attended the meeting at Kloofzicht. (Ian jones can supply names)

A lawyers letter was also addressed to Cradle residents from a cyclyst. (on the hub)

To date nothing has happened and the situation is getting out of control and I have received many calls from resident’s wanting to know what’s going on

When I took this on, there were many residents who said this was a waste of time and they had other ways of dealing with the problem. I still went ahead thinking that all the parties were serious.

The only parties I believe were serious were Ian Jones and Andrew Mclean.

Giovanni was never committed (in my opinion) and club 100 never attended any meetings.

I have sent letters to the following parties

· Mogale Metro

· CGC (Central Gauteng Cycling)

· Cradle management authority.

Mogale Metro - has not bothered to respond and from this we can take that they are not interested.

CGC – Giovanni passed this on to Joaquin from Valverde, and Joaquin’s response was that CGC had not disciplined any clubs and had no authority to do so. To quote from CGC website ‘CGC members are expected to adhere to the CGC code of conduct. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action being taken against the cyclist as well as the club and could include expulsion from the club” Apart from this Joaquin also contradicts himself about cyclist’s riding in the road. Joaquin’s main argument is that no one can discipline cyclists, and only the police can do this, and till that happens, residents must just live with it.

Cradle Management Authority

Events that take place in the cradle need approval from COH WHS (Cradle Management Authority) The MA at this time has no guideline’s for any events and this is not due anytime soon. In other words there is no management happening and it is a free for all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The conclusion is I am not going to carry on with this as it is a waste of time. I am happy to meet with residents to give them a more detailed report and other residents can take it from here.

What I can say is that if cyclists are going to come out here looking for trouble, please don’t complain when you get it right back.

I will post this letter on the hub.

[quote name='Cradleresident' date='28 September 2010 - 08:50 PM' t

What I can say is that if cyclists are going to come out here looking for trouble, please don’t complain when you get it right back.

I will post this letter on the hub.

Thank for doing so, because you have just, with that sentence, turned any potential confrontation you, or the people you represent, with a cyclist into a premeditated action with intent to cause harm.

I know it must be incredibly frustrating to have to share 'your' road with others, but, you know what, the world is a sh*t place sometimes, and sometimes you do have to share.

Chop.

Well done you Roadies in the pictures!!! smiley7.gif Spoil the cradle for the rest of us!!!smiley7.gif

Cycle Lab + Club 100 should take responsibility with there members, you can clearly see what clubs don't follow the laws of the road...Bad taste!

Santa C2009-11-07 03:49:43

Noticed a serious lack of MTB's as well lol, they ride like that since they all think their shirts makes them pro's. My question to these guys are, when i drive inside that yellow line Im permanently paranoid that I am still going to get run over, to these guys have no fear or are they just unilaterily stupid?

I ride this route all the time and used to ride it with both the big club groups. Now I ride with a smaller group. They have absolutely no respect. Why can't people apologise when they are in the wrong instead of swearing and threatening. Simply put your hand up and apologise then get out of the way. Whats wrong with people in Joburg that everyone has to be confrontational. I think there is a simple way to sort it out...any cyclist cought riding in the middle of the road should be fined and the clubs should be responsible for policing this or get fined to. In fact any picture with a club member in the middle or the road should be sent to Central Gauteng Cycling and the club should be fined. That will take care of the matter quickly.

In the good old days the cops would stop and fine you for disobaying the rules of the road, eg. cycling in the middle of the road, cycling on the wrong side of the road, running red lights, and even as the American's say J walking. All these are still illegal, socially unaceptable but since nobody is enforcing anything people think they are allowed to do this.

Still remember the moerse hiding i got when I ran a red light with my BMX age 8, the cop pulled me over, threw my bike in the back of his bakkie, drove me home and gave my dad the option "bliksem die laaitjie of betaal die fine" I got donnered so hard, till this day I haven't tried that stunt again.

Whats funny... is that there is no oncoming traffic for you not to pass the cyclists... Why waste 30 minutes driving around taking photo's of cyclists. Where do you suppose cyclists in JHB train, since there are not a lot of traffic in the Cradle, and chances of us being killed by a taxi are a bit slimmer, not like Hendrik Potgieter where that cyclist was killed. Although I belong to one of these clubs, I don't do group rides with them, so I'm just askin you these questions...?

Whats funny... is that there is no oncoming traffic for you not to pass the cyclists... Why waste 30 minutes driving around taking photo's of cyclists. Where do you suppose cyclists in JHB train, since there are not a lot of traffic in the Cradle, and chances of us being killed by a taxi are a bit slimmer, not like Hendrik Potgieter where that cyclist was killed. Although I belong to one of these clubs, I don't do group rides with them, so I'm just askin you these questions...?

They don't have a problem with cyclist on the road but they way cyclist ride on the road. I've done the route back and forth a few times and I can not see any reason why people can not ride on the newly tared section. It's much smoother then it use to be.

About a month back comming down the past the Rhino and Lion park there were two CL riders taking a wizz on the side of the road just past the lion enclosures on the side of the road. They did not go into the bush or behind a tree. They sat square on their bike's top tubes on the side of the road and peed into the veld. Sorry but no matter how much money you have, you can not buy manners.

So do people still ride in the cradle?

Yes, but only from Sept to Nov, and then only those that do not know that the cradle residents are out to get them.

So true. Whats also sad is the people who complained about others breaking the law are ususally breaking the law themselves. "The cyclists are riding all over the road while I drive over the speed limit, talking on my cellphone, without seatbelt, kid not strapped in kiddy seat..."

Phooew, I just flicked through the 15 pages and although I hardly ever even drive around there never mind cycle, I just think its a case of two opposing sides not prepared to give an inch.

Just look at the language and the responses, from what I see someone tried to organise and correct a difficult situation, a couple of guys tried to respond in like, but, most / some people never even bothered to attend meetings, the CGC are not interested, the traffic enforcement are not interested and basically nothing concrete ever came about or is likely to occur, and the most common response was to call each other names and threaten each other.

Unfortunate, but thats really typical of a situation where no side is ready to back down, take a look and realistically assess the issue, rather, its all a case of posturing and finger pointing, I cant see it ever going anywhere like that.

They don't have a problem with cyclist on the road but they way cyclist ride on the road. I've done the route back and forth a few times and I can not see any reason why people can not ride on the newly tared section. It's much smoother then it use to be.

About a month back comming down the past the Rhino and Lion park there were two CL riders taking a wizz on the side of the road just past the lion enclosures on the side of the road. They did not go into the bush or behind a tree. They sat square on their bike's top tubes on the side of the road and peed into the veld. Sorry but no matter how much money you have, you can not buy manners.

Why do you have to associate CL and money? I ride with CL and believe me not all members have money!! Having money or not isnt an excuse for poor manners! .Furthermore not all members are guilty but are painted with your enormous brush!.This time of the year all the 94.7/Argus riders come out of the woodwork and spoil it for others,and yes it is like the TDF on the weekends.Some people are just unable to comprehend single file /two abreast.