Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

Also got verbal abuse yesterday morning for indicating to two W*nkers that they were going over a red light... in traffic. When cyclists get hit by cars you sometimes wonder whether you should be sad, or if it was one of those not obeying the rules.Confused

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

linnega you are forcing the shoe onto the other foot here' date=' the issue is cyclists behaviour, NOT cage driver behaviour... Irrespective how any of us feel about cage drivers, this thread is about cyclists behaviour.

[/quote']

Fair enough, but as I said the actual issue here around the cradle area is for me irrelevant, as I have no interest in the residents there, the cyclists there or in fact if it even existed.  My only point on behaviour is that I don't believe in the commonly held notion that cyclist behaviour has any impact on the disregard that motorists have for cyclists.  As a result, I ride my bike the safest way possible, then within the law.  I'm not responsible for other cyclists any more than motorists are responsible for truck drivers or taxi drivers.

Thanks for pointing out the brain fart - can't say I read through the legislation again, just scanned for section numbers.  I take it then that the area at the cradle is a "pedal cycle lane reservation".  I assume this gives priority for cyclists and is therefore not "set aside for use by persons using a pedal cycle" only.  Would subsection 7 apply then, as the cyclists don't have exclusive use? 

As you have no interest in the area, please start your own debate. I will not address your other questions as I categorise them as 'brain farts' (your mouth fart that!). I do have an issue with this area as it is the nearest training area, albeit not very safe anymore due to the wanton disregard of the law by some cyclists.

I was en-route by road to Angola when this thread was started. I am amazed at how prejudiced Hubbers are...... not once was CR really flamed, ridiculed, told he is like Julius Malema or told in the first posting that it was illegal to take photographs while cycling.

But ....... I rest my case..... it is the Coenie's and the Kingcompass's of the cycling world that will eventually ruin the experience for us all........ wankers!!!!!!!!!

.................... but..... ClapClapClapClapClap..... to Cradle Resident for starting this thread....... where can I sign the petition??????? ....... it does not matter what excuses Hubbers (cyclists?????), what CR posted is exactly what I have experienced every time I cycled in the Cradle.

The inability of cyclists to accept responsibility for their own dumb and stupid actions is aptly demonstrated throughout this whole thread.

By the way..................... was the meeting held at Teak Place and what was the outcome?????????????...... did the eminent mr Jones attend and will he now only report back to his selected cronies???????? (as he stated previously!!!!!)

And here we all sit waiting for you to make your brainless comments ! You got no right to sign any petition in our country so take a hike and go and fix a pot-hole somewhere .

linnega you are forcing the shoe onto the other foot here' date=' the issue is cyclists behaviour, NOT cage driver behaviour... Irrespective how any of us feel about cage drivers, this thread is about cyclists behaviour.
[/quote']
Fair enough, but as I said the actual issue here around the cradle area is for me irrelevant, as I have no interest in the residents there, the cyclists there or in fact if it even existed.  My only point on behaviour is that I don't believe in the commonly held notion that cyclist behaviour has any impact on the disregard that motorists have for cyclists.  As a result, I ride my bike the safest way possible, then within the law.  I'm not responsible for other cyclists any more than motorists are responsible for truck drivers or taxi drivers.

Thanks for pointing out the brain fart - can't say I read through the legislation again, just scanned for section numbers.  I take it then that the area at the cradle is a "pedal cycle lane reservation".  I assume this gives priority for cyclists and is therefore not "set aside for use by persons using a pedal cycle" only.  Would subsection 7 apply then, as the cyclists don't have exclusive use? 

As you have no interest in the area, please start your own debate. I will not address your other questions as I categorise them as 'brain farts' (your mouth fart that!). I do have an issue with this area as it is the nearest training area, albeit not very safe anymore due to the wanton disregard of the law by some cyclists.

Perhaps you can't read. I said I had interest in the debate, but not the area or the specifics.  This whole debate sets a bad precendent and illustrates poor judgement of all parties - the cyclists, the cyclists criticising them on this thread, the confrontational manner in which the thread was started, and the acceptance by the cycling community of compromises that are simply not acceptable.

And here we all sit waiting for you to make your brainless comments ! You got no right to sign any petition in our country so take a hike and go and fix a pot-hole somewhere .

".........does not matter what excuses Hubbers (cyclists????), "

Good morning Dirty Rider....... jou are those in bold I was referring to........ even though I do not contribute to the country in taxes (by law I do not have to), all my "millions" goes to RSA and is spent there. I cyle there when I go there, and through the year I have contributer well over my share in taxes to the smooth running of the country....... and officially my place of residence is STILL Villieria, Pretoria....... I have just as much right as you to sign any petition. You however is in doubt...... you are Mountain Biker, by your own admittance....... and has NO part in this discussion.

smiley20.gif I just fail to see why you must attack people like Mr Jones who at least try and do something . It is always so easy to sit up in the tree giving your expert opinion .

BigH you want to sign a petition banning cyclists from a public road ??

When in SA where do you cycle, and what if residents in that area also did not want cyclists there, rememebering this is not unique to the cradle.

... coming in after the fact but I'm quite amazed this discussion even evolved past 1 page and that there's even a discussion - imho this is a no-brainer, either we as cyclists act courteous & behave on the roads or we will either be killed by frustrated motorists or we will be banned from riding on the roads. You choose your preferred outcome and behave accordingly.

As for me ... as long as some guys are irritating motorists that drive 2 tonne projectiles at 120km/h ... I'm not playing where they're playing. My biggest problem on morning rides is which singletrack to take and which to skip. Wink

If you think those okes in the photo's is bad you should have seen the idiot yesterday morning 06:45 om the N14 opposite Diepsloot riding on the yellow line and his wife,girlfriend ,stukkie,cherrie blocking the traffic in the left hand lane with her car .Even if it was a Sunday morning with little traffic you dont ride on the N14! O'and that other dude I think it is Floyd Landis training here in Cycle Lab colours

I just want to know that why is it always members from those two clubs who are the culprits when stuff like this is brought up. I say fine the clubs and maybe they will bring their member to order.

The point is we all gripe about motoroists who are inconsiderate.  It plays both ways.  We are invisible to motorists and we need to ride defensively.  I don't think riding 6 abreast on a bust route is too bright on our part.  If we clean up our act and ride responsibly then we have the right to complain.  If we ride like idiots, we don't really have a leg to stand on.  This is a poor advert for cycling despite the majority of us not riding this way.

I just want to know that why is it always members from those two clubs who are the culprits when stuff like this is brought up. I say fine the clubs and maybe they will bring their member to order.

Probably because they are the largest clubs by membership and have the most memebrs on the road! other big 'clubs' that you will spot misbehaving are Team Barloworld and Discovery.

Mampara,

I think the reason is, this is where the 2 biggest clubs hold their Saturday early morning club rides, it is pre 94.7 so this problem is exacerbated.

If a club demonstrates it is doing everything reasonably possible to deal with road safety, obeying the rules of the road etc, then why should the club be fined for the actions of a few individuals? If a BMW driver speeds who get's the fine?

I am all for clubs doing everything possible to deal with these issues we all face, however every individual needs to take responsibility for their own actions!

Our 2010 paid up JHb members will have their names on their bikes.

Andrew.

We went for our first ride in the Cradle area yesterday between 8 and 12. I must say most of the cyclists were all behaving - riding in single file and greeting each other. I really enjoyed cycling in the area!

The riders not behaving yesterday were  not part of a club ride. Maybe we should print the rules/laws and leave in the car windows of cyclists?