Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

Forward this to the sponsors' date=' see how they like it.[/quote']

Agree forward to there sponsors and the chairmen of Club 100 + cycle lab and get then to sort out there club riders Angry

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it this is the prize tjop who was slashing in the driveway.

Nice one!Wonder if he's a hubber....anyone?

20091107_033306_34.jpg

I cycle this route often on my own' date=' it looks like they have race on every week-end with all the club rides going through this stretch. Trust me after the 94.7 the amount of cyclist in this area drops by 90%. [/quote']

Does not matter...If there is 1 rider or a 100 they should all abide from the same set of rules and follow the laws of the road!!

I take it this is the prize tjop who was slashing in the driveway.

Nice one!Wonder if he's a hubber....anyone?

20091107_033306_34.jpg

Looks like Piet Pompies..LOL

Dealer012009-11-07 04:11:14

Thanks for the offer. I do however have a mountain bike and i ride with a friend three times a week and i enjoy it, but then again i dont ride like an idiot and make other residents life a nightmare..

There are a lot of cyclists riding here in the week in the morning, but no problems. They look like professionals though.

But i can pass it on to Ken. He needs to get some excersise.

I cycle this route often on my own' date=' it looks like they have race on every week-end with all the club rides going through this stretch. Trust me after the 94.7 the amount of cyclist in this area drops by 90%. [/quote']

Does not matter...If there is 1 rider or a 100 they should all abide from the same set of rules and follow the laws of the road!!

For sure! the point is another week and the majority of the idiots won't be using the road for another 10 months!

Forward this to the sponsors' date=' see how they like it.[/quote']

?

Agree forward to there sponsors and the chairmen of Club 100 + cycle lab and get then to sort out there club riders Angry

?

?

Have already mailed AM from CL.

It will real funny to hear the comments from the folks in the phots Tongue

I can't wait....especially Piet Pompies and Wally the Walrus

A couple of valid points, take into consideration the roads are very quiet. I don't see any traffic. So it will be easy to overtake except where there is a barrier line.

In my view, these photos accurately reflect what I often see when groups of cyclists ride together. That's why I mostly ride alone. There is something about bunches and sheep mentality. I've observed this for year and years.

Cyclists in groups do unpredictable things that infuriate other road users. A classic example is a turn to the right. Some of the riders will look back and go to the right hand side of the road where they'll wait for oncoming traffic to clear. Others will stick to the left of the road, turning 180 around to look at traffic coming from their direction. This action takes up space that makes cars nervous. Others will adopt quasi-pedestrian behaviour and ride on the opposite side of the road, keeping to the left of oncoming traffic. With these three variations facing traffic from both sides, drivers are understandably uncertain about the next move and invariably react angrily.

In my view the trick is to behave exactly like a car, change lanes timesously when turning, take up a full lane at the wait at the intersection so as to discourage anyone from going straight in your lane instead of turning etc.

At stop streets you don't take liberties nor grovel. When it is your turn to move, you do so with certainly and purpose. Look the driver in the eye and make your rightful move, briskly and purposefully.

If someone at a 4-way moves out of turn, block the move. It works.

Take accept out-of-rule courtesies and don't accept them. Example, at a traffic circle, if a car coming from the right indicates that you can go ahead of it, refuse it. This encourages gratuitous courtesy that has no place in a traffic circle. If a car wants to jump his turn in the circle, block it. You are traffic too and abide by the rules.

But not matter how good your riding skills are in traffic, a bunch is just a bunch of sheep with no leader and no brain. Stay away.

Those pictures are distressing to see and I want to be no part of it.

Thanks for the offer. I do however have a mountain bike and i ride with a friend three times a week and i enjoy it' date=' but then again i dont ride like an idiot and?make other residents life a nightmare..

There are a lot of cyclists riding here in the week in the morning, but no problems. They look like professionals though.

But i can pass it on to Ken. He needs to get some excersise.
[/quote']

CR, I can understand your frustration and anger. However this is the minority of cyclists, yes it looks a lot and the frustrate you to death. Get with the local traffic authorities, confiscate all bikes or ticket the whole lot. The age old saying goes " as jy nie wil luister nie, moet jy voel"

I am a cyclist as well, granted being in Afghanistan, I do not cycle as often as I used to, but to say all cyclists do this is a little over the top. Can understand why you are pissed though.

Have a great day.   Anton aka Sammajoor

CR, my sympathies that you have to put up with this crap.

Unfortunately this is happening in your back yard so it affects you all the time. Cyclists come from the whole spectrum of society, the nicest folk through to bottome feeders. These bottom feeders are everywhere and spoil it for people in all spheres of life, eg, beach and 4x4 driving, nature reserves, general traffic, queuing, etc.

Good luck!

I would say its time Mr CR takes this issue up with the local ward councilor.

Send the images to the newspaper and start getting the media involved.

Education (of both parties) seems to be an answer.

Our club had about a HUGE turn out for the club ride this morning, always a huge turn out because of 94.7.

We made announcements using a loud speaker system all about rules of the road, we have certain roads we ride 2 abreast others single file,

We limit our bunch sizes. Today we had; A, B, C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 D2 D3 D4, Transition and Beginners.

I marshalled the C1 group about 20 riders and they were perfect.

However I have no doubt that if you followed us for the 80km?s you would have got a few photos that would not have been perfect.

We caught 2 or 3 Club 100 groups of about 30 to 40 riders and had to pass them, at this point what do you do? And yes as we passed for a few hundred meters it was messy.[Very messy]

We have been using this route for years, with few issues.

Now club 100 comes on our exact route and we simply have too many cyclists in this area. We did appeal to them to use an alternative route.

Make no mistake we cyclists are our own worst enemies and we all need to do a lot to change this;

Our club sends SMS?s about safety

Almost Every news letter deals with it.

We make announcements at the start of every club ride.

We pay Think Bike marshals to be on every club ride to help make our club rides safer.

Individuals however need to take responsibility for their own actions!!!

I can tell you we will certainly study these pictures and contact these members to voice our disgust at their behaviour.

We are looking at a Name and shame section in our club news letter.

We are appealing to members to help our marshals police these individuals who think they are above the law.

However there are always individuals that ride like idiots and give the rest a bad name.

The only good news is one more week and the numbers will be half what they are now.

Worth mentioning there is very little traffic in this area at this time of the morning. Not that this is an excuse for some of the pictures CR put up.

I however do feel that if any person really goes out of their way to find fault with any group of cyclists, motorists, or any other group you will always

Find some fault to highlight.

We all, residents and cyclists need work together to live in harmony in the cradle. I was amazed to see how many cyclists drive out to the cradle park at local restaurants and ride, surely this is great for the local economy.

Lets try ALL make the Cradle a cycling friendly zone!

OK so what is the ultimate solution:

Let?s have a look at what other parts of the world are doing that are 10 years ahead of us;

Here is a link to Vehicular Cycling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling#Vehicular_cycling_best_practices.2C_techniques_and_skills

?

Here is a very interesting link to California Legislation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVC_21202#CVC_21202?a very practical set of laws governing cycling behaviour.

?

Look at sections on lane sharing, shoulders etc.

By the way I have had a meeting with CR and I understand his frustrations, and we as a club are doing everything in our power to deal with this unacceptable situation that a small minority are causing.

Andrew McLean.